ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #61936
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Couple of nice VW's at the Canal Winchester Labor Day festival and car show today.

Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #61937
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,111
Does chrome increase your visibility?

I mean, I know it increases the resale value, (duh) but I like to pretend to care about safety when I wear my t-shirt and no helmet. That's why I bought my loud pipes.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #61938
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,292
Selling my stepdaughter's Civic, fair price, nice beater car:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916267

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #61939
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
You forgot to watch out for cows in the road, blue hairs, drunks, squids, turkeys and lose bails of hay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
555 ride it. Its a motorcycle road. You have to use your gas, brakes, and senses. All those things builit mentioned might happen coming over a blind horizon with an off camber turn. It doesn't flow well but its cool in its own way.

Stick around, after this we'll talk about tire pressure and oil.

Have fun!
Jeepers, sorry to start all of that. I was just being nice and trying to give Jules a heads up that there is currently a lot of gravel in corners, more than normal last time I rode it.

/rant on
And yes, there will be awesome fireworks in Marietta next Saturday night, it's Sternwheel Festival. There will also be lots of touristy folks from other parts of the country, some even from northern Ohio. They'll come down here and drive like buttholes in our normally quiet little town. When they are gone, we'll talk about how many Summit county drivers are buttholes and that will turn into how many of those guys come down from up north on motorcycles. Which will turn into how many have been picked up out of the ditches on 26 and 555 and 255 and 260 and so on, along with the extent of injuries. This all keeps our EMS folks busy and everyone down here firmly believes that if your area code is 614, 330, or 419 turns and elevation change are simply confounding. Why else would there be so many crashes on motorcycles on those curvy roads? Down here most of us know you can go 10mph slower and it will be just fine, because there is always gravel in the turns, a hay bale in the middle of the road, a deer, or some old fart on a tractor and mud all over the highway. But we'll still let you come down and ride our fun roads. /rant off.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #61940
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Jeepers, sorry to start all of that. I was just being nice and trying to give Jules a heads up that there is currently a lot of gravel in corners, more than normal last time I rode it.

/rant on
And yes, there will be awesome fireworks in Marietta next Saturday night, it's Sternwheel Festival. There will also be lots of touristy folks from other parts of the country, some even from northern Ohio. They'll come down here and drive like buttholes in our normally quiet little town. When they are gone, we'll talk about how many Summit county drivers are buttholes and that will turn into how many of those guys come down from up north on motorcycles. Which will turn into how many have been picked up out of the ditches on 26 and 555 and 255 and 260 and so on, along with the extent of injuries. This all keeps our EMS folks busy and everyone down here firmly believes that if your area code is 614, 330, or 419 turns and elevation change are simply confounding. Why else would there be so many crashes on motorcycles on those curvy roads? Down here most of us know you can go 10mph slower and it will be just fine, because there is always gravel in the turns, a hay bale in the middle of the road, a deer, or some old fart on a tractor and mud all over the highway. But we'll still let you come down and ride our fun roads. /rant off.
Calling summit county drivers buttholes is too nice.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #61941
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 371
Hey, I'm in area code 330 and we have all that shit up here too, along with 8 row combine heads on back roads taking up from ditch to ditch, moving a mile or so down the road to the next field. But I was raised on a farm and it don't bother me. So wheat and corn harvest time is not the best to be blasting down a back road where you can't see around the curves. And we have quit a few places that bring the cows acrossed the road in the afternoon for milking and put them back across in the morning, can make for a slimmy slick spot on the road til it dries.

Dave

Trapshooter screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 01:09 PM
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #61942
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
Hey, I'm in area code 330 and we have all that shit up here too, along with 8 row combine heads on back roads taking up from ditch to ditch, moving a mile or so down the road to the next field. But I was raised on a farm and it don't bother me. So wheat and corn harvest time is not the best to be blasting down a back road where you can't see around the curves. And we have quit a few places that bring the cows acrossed the road in the afternoon for milking and put them back across in the morning, can make for a slimmy slick spot on the road til it dries.

Dave
I'm sure it's the same everywhere. It's just funny if you're from north central Ohio everyone here calls it Columbus. Everywhere on I77 above I70 is UCLA (upper Canton lower Akron). I suppose everyone from those areas thinks we are hillbillies that grow marijuana in this corner.
However, it is sad how many guys on bikes are hurt on those roads because they think 20 mph over the recommended curve speed is fine. One died across from my grandparents house on SR26. He lowsided, bounced off a retaining wall, and the car coming the other way ran over him. All because he was too hot in a curve with some gravel in it.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #61943
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Some shots from the Strom Rally in Millersport this weekend. I took the WRR and a few of us rode some gravel and very light / short off road. We hit Moonville, Kings Hollow, and Santoy. Good times:

http://meefzah.smugmug.com/Other/Big...7581&k=W2SSm8j

My Smugmug Galleries
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #61944
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Thanks for the ride today Luke. Felt good to get out today and run some gas through the KLR.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #61945
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Thanks for the ride today Luke. Felt good to get out today and run some gas through the KLR.
Agreed. Lets see if it gets me out of my rut.

On another note, I was being ironic about 555. There are so many fun roads down there but getting behind a gawker or coming thru a blind corner to find some good ol' boys sitting in the road having a pow-wow can really frustrate the most patient rider.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #61946
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Agreed. Lets see if it gets me out of my rut.

On another note, I was being ironic about 555. There are so many fun roads down there but getting behind a gawker...
As was I. I have noticed most of the slow drivers are not locals, lots are even on cruisers.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #61947
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Some shots from the Strom Rally in Millersport this weekend. I took the WRR and a few of us rode some gravel and very light / short off road. We hit Moonville, Kings Hollow, and Santoy. Good times:

Meef's picture and caption:

"This used to be a dead end road and a private bridge, it has since been rebuilt and has been reverted to public / county maintained. Near Santoy."

I snagged that bridge last summer...this is what it looked like then:

I remember knocking on the door of the house before riding down onto the grass for the picture...didn't wanna get shot by an angry property owner...since no one answered, I took a chance and got my pictures.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #61948
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
I braved Cade's Cove today in order to ride Parson's Branch Road. I was not impressed. I didn't even get my feet wet in the "water crossings." The only thing it really had going for it was that its a one way. I could ride at a faster pace with reasonable confidence I wasn't going to hit a pickup coming the other way.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #61949
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

How was moonville? Always wanted to go there,it just sounds anticlimactic after a few reads.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #61950
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
How was moonville? Always wanted to go there,it just sounds anticlimactic after a few reads.
If you are in the area anyway, it's worth seeing. It's cool, but not worth a trip unto itself.

My Smugmug Galleries