ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #63946
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I agree. It seems to works this way too. Just sayin'
After I typed that I thought, holy shit, that's essentially how some of these cruiser / ADV / sport types are, bolting on every fucking Screaming Eagle / Touratech / whatever racing shit accessory to their bike that sees 1000 miles a year; or some of these car guys; or boat guys; or quad guys...

I guess they exist in all realms, but god, they especially aggravate me in the gun world. Guns, more than anything else listed above, are tools. People that insist on treating them like toys and playing dress up with them; or using them, even as static displays, to make political statements, do a dis-service to themselves and to fellow gun owners.

I used to be active on several gun forums but the overly political nature of guns, the attraction to guns by fucking vociferous mouth breathing cretins, and the incessant posting of uber tactical awesomeness by wanna be operators eventually caused me to drift away. I used to enjoy going to gun shows to look at vintage stuff, but anymore I don't even go to them because it's like playing bumper cars with 4XL dudes who are trying to pass for muscular and not just fat, lugging around their $5200 black rifle, while wearing digital camo pants and a "Navy Seals" T shirt to make sure everyone there gets the impression that they were the guy who capped bin Laden.

I think I'm finished now. I wish it would warm up so I could ride my motorcycle.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #63947
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I guess they exist in all realms, but god, they especially aggravate me in the gun world...
+1,000,000. Tools, not jewels.
Crap, I've been considering selling the Vstrom. Since buying it I've not really had the opportunity for moto-camping or long trips. I'll probably give it another year, though. I hate to just have stuff sitting around.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #63948
Kurgan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
I used to enjoy going to gun shows to look at vintage stuff, but anymore I don't even go to them because it's like playing bumper cars with 4XL dudes who are trying to pass for muscular and not just fat, lugging around their $5200 black rifle, while wearing digital camo pants and a "Navy Seals" T shirt to make sure everyone there gets the impression that they were the guy who capped bin Laden.
Have been going to gun shows as far back as the early 70's as a kid with my dad and uncle, from large shows to the mom-and-pop shows that might be held at a VFW hall.

Early 2000's, working at a gun shop and working the gun show circuit 2-3x per month for a few years, what a change, and not for the better. So much crap on display that shouldn't have been at a gun show, so many dealers selling chinese junk AR or AK accessories or tables full of tactical/operator this and that to the point you shook your head. And then the attendees much as you described, plus the "basement dweller" geeky kids walking around with all their chinese made BDU's and airsoft tactical toys.

Sometimes it takes a lot not to laugh out loud at the shows and wonder if you're just at a firearm friendly live taping of Jerry Springer!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #63949
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Check out Fastway pegs, couldn't be happier with the ones on my GS. Most GS models are universal and the same fastway pegs fit... but if that's a G650GS, they may not work according to the site.

Great looking bike, congrats

Thank you for the peg advice, I'll look! I am aware that the G might be a PITA to find aftermarket stuff for. Fortunately, my farkling won't look like that AR chart. I never was a Barbie girl, I was a Lego kid.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #63950
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
On the TW? I'm thinking $1200. It's a 1989, so kick and electric start. I had to put a new rear tire on it, they're pretty pricey. I don't think it's rolled 6k yet, but really close if not. Clear title, but the box about questionable mileage is checked, the DMV employee said that's typical for an out of state vehicle that age with that low of mileage. The original tires were on it when I picked it up, so I believe the mileage. I partially cleaned up the plastic with ScratchX and fine steel wool. It could use another round to make the plastic look nice. Couple small dings in the tank. I've added cheap black hand guards since this pic.
The TW200 forum guys seem to ask $1500+ for comparison. I may post it up over there as well and I should let one of the guys here at work know, he has asked a lot of questions about it.
I have been wanting a TW since I rode one for the MSF class.
Just been looking for a cheap one that I thought I could trust.
Let me check with the wife. I may be able to swing this, if someone closer doesn't jump on it first.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #63951
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
What?
Never mind, I thought you meant the M14 like Drifter said. Tha dangers of late night posting.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #63952
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieRat View Post
Mine are not goretex. They are mostly waterproof in normal conditions. Over several hours of standing, riding, and falling in light rain and deep mud they filled with water. They were still soaked 3 days later. I finally put a small lightbulb in each boot and they were dry 24 hours after that.

Your soles are soft??? Compared to MX boots? The soles on my Sidi Adventure Rain boots are so stiff that I can't put the balls of my feet down on my tall bike, I have to wear the touring boots.
I am in my third year of use of a pair of Alpinestar Scout boots. Really like them, and while they have one of the 'other' waterproof liners, they have been completely waterproof in all weather and circumstances. Benly will vouch for this, as we spent an hour one day working our way through 100 yards of on/off big mud holes this past fall, and I was testing depths with my feet on every one of them, up to a foot deep. Stayed completely dry. Sturdy, 3-clasp upper, stitched and lugged sole to boot (pun intended.) No 'Power Ranger' bling or other nonsense. They are only uncomfortable during the high heat of summer, but still bearable. For the other three seasons they are awesome! Not sure if they make them for ladies, but if they do they are worth a look.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #63953
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
I sold mine last winter when everyone was going crazy over semi-autos. It was a PolyTech. Kind of a pain to carry, but was reasonably accurate. Weighed about as much as a KLR in the mud, especially with 20 rounds of steel-cased Tula ammo in it.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. I like the big heavy guns because I'm a big heavy guy. I'm no tactical operator, but I like a gun that fits. Just like my motorcycles big isn't an issue and heavy is a given. Picked up a 1885 high wall last fall and it fits me like a glove. I figure I'm ready to star in a western now.
2006 KLR650
Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #63954
JessieRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Thank you for the peg advice, I'll look! I am aware that the G might be a PITA to find aftermarket stuff for. Fortunately, my farkling won't look like that AR chart. I never was a Barbie girl, I was a Lego kid.
Hopefully not too much PITA! That bike is not new on the market. My favorite farkle sites let me shop by bike.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/
http://www.touratech-usa.com/
http://store.bobsbmw.com/series/fg-s...e/g650gs-2009-

Good luck!

~Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away~
JessieRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #63955
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Picked up a 1885 high wall last fall and it fits me like a glove. I figure I'm ready to star in a western now.
I'll see your high wall and raise it with a 1873 Springfield The original cartridge rifle

Hope the bayonet, cleaning rod, and sling don't make it overdressed
Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #63956
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
I'll see your high wall and raise it with a 1873 Springfield The original cartridge rifle

Hope the bayonet, cleaning rod, and sling don't make it overdressed
Pics? My Uncle in NY and I both got into 45-70 cartridge loads in the 1990's. He had a Sharps but it was stolen along with a number of his guns last year. The danger of having guns and no safe to secure them in.
2006 KLR650
Old 01-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #63957
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
After I typed that I thought, holy shit, that's essentially how some of these cruiser / ADV / sport types are, bolting on every fucking Screaming Eagle / Touratech / whatever racing shit accessory to their bike that sees 1000 miles a year; or some of these car guys; or boat guys; or quad guys...

I guess they exist in all realms, but god, they especially aggravate me in the gun world. Guns, more than anything else listed above, are tools. People that insist on treating them like toys and playing dress up with them; or using them, even as static displays, to make political statements, do a dis-service to themselves and to fellow gun owners.

I used to be active on several gun forums but the overly political nature of guns, the attraction to guns by fucking vociferous mouth breathing cretins, and the incessant posting of uber tactical awesomeness by wanna be operators eventually caused me to drift away. I used to enjoy going to gun shows to look at vintage stuff, but anymore I don't even go to them because it's like playing bumper cars with 4XL dudes who are trying to pass for muscular and not just fat, lugging around their $5200 black rifle, while wearing digital camo pants and a "Navy Seals" T shirt to make sure everyone there gets the impression that they were the guy who capped bin Laden.

I think I'm finished now. I wish it would warm up so I could ride my motorcycle.
You forgot zombies,survivalist,and tin foil hatters.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of that Mark, too many irresponsible dumbasses start spouting off and giving firearms a bad image. My favorite is the mosin guys. $100 rifle,$250 stock,plus$150 of other cheap bs mods on it and a know nothing hacksaw/automotive screwdriver/hammer fit in 5 minutes to make it uber tacticool sniper,then run the cheapest8 cent steel cored commie shit ammunition in it and claim 4" groups at 1000 yards. Fucking delta there.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #63958
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
My favorite is the mosin guys. $100 rifle,$250 stock,plus$150 of other cheap bs mods on it .
$100 for a Mosion? They are paying way too much for one of those POS
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #63959
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
$100 for a Mosion? They are paying way too much for one of those POS
Yeah. But they're better than nothing. A good cheap deer rifle too. But I get flamed or ignored for suggesting yugo mausers instead of a mosin. They're like the trailer park trash of gun boards.

Could ne a nagant revolver. I couldn't sell that thing fast enough.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #63960
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,284
Just like in most things, the guys who talk the least are usually the best.

That said, if you guys are shooting clays, I am way into that, that's about the only shooting sport that I enjoy. Going to the range is ok, but I get bored super quick, probobly because I suck.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote