ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #64636
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by z@ch View Post
My experience with oem Yuasas has been excellent.

5 years in the WR and when I sold my 6 year old sv, it still had the stock battery in it.

Girlyman out!
I shall follow your every command leader.

YUASAS YUASAS YUSAS YUSAS!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #64637
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I know lots live and die by a tender, but it seems the batteries I have kept on tenders don't last nearly as long as the ones I don't. My KLX needs a new battery, guess I should start looking for one.
X 2.

I'll never again leave a battery on a tender. Every few weeks if I haven't ridden a bike I'll plug it in overnight, that's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #64638
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I figure 20 is about as low as I generally will need to start it. But I'd like it to last more than one or two 20 degree winters. And I do keep it on a Battery Tender when I'm not riding it daily...
I only use a charger if I can't get a bike to start. I never leave one on a charger. My bikes are in my unheated, attached garage.
I think WRRs must just be easy to start since everyone's batteries last for awhile. I'm sure mine is stock from 2008.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #64639
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
I just keep the bikes I really love in the living room!
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #64640
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Actually, I changed my mind after viewing your blog, which I took the liberty of quoting, unmolested, below.

It appears you get banned from sites with some regularity. You ever hear the expression: "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you've run into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole"?

Related: if you want to jab this "fat hilljack in the eye", as noted in your blog, I will be happy to make myself available.

P.S., you should pay your debts, you have numerous open civil cases in Mercer County pertaining to money you owe creditors.
Well, my interest was peaked so I visited the blog and have to say Hoot can't be all that bad; Kawi 900, guns and an Airedale. Some of my favorite things...
Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #64641
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Sometimes batteries need a good, deep charge. I've had batteries like those, that you jump once and are good for the rest of the day, until the next day.
A good overnite 2 amp charge fixed them right up.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #64642
Kurgan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
My bikes with OEM Yuasa batteries and a battery tender plugged in during the winter typically have a good long life. Vstrom battery is now 8 years old and I'll see how it behaves this Spring on the road. If any starts seem weak, I'll replace it with another Yuasa.

Meanwhile, time for some pre-Spring maintenance..

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #64643
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
"I …. stopped by the "Ohio" thread...not really Ohio at all...at least not my part of Ohio...this thread is ruled by a group of Eastern Ohio Hill~Jacks…"

Jeez. I've lived in southwestern Ohio for over 60 years, and I'm pretty sure that this statement broadly describes most of us. You guys on the east side of the state didn't think you were gonna get to keep ALL THE GLORY, did ya?
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #64644
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,606
Well Southeastern Ohio IS where all the adventure is at least. The roads/trails suck over here in flatistan...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #64645
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Meanwhile, time for some pre-Spring maintenance..

Dam, where do you ride that? Looks like to the car wash and back but I don't see the white lime scale anywhere, unless you polished it away. That is one well cleaned / loved Dl1000....... Mine was an abused child.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #64646
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Well, my interest was peaked so I visited the blog and have to say Hoot can't be all that bad; Kawi 900, guns and an Airedale. Some of my favorite things...
The guy had me at can't stand our leader and thief in office.

As for getting booted from Adv in Ohio, there are a few who've made that honor. Consider Goonie a friend, Meef too, even if our politics are totally different. I know I've burned off steam here, tortured some souls and dug a few holes (lucky I didn't fill them in till I got back out )
We all ride though and speak a common tung. If I could make a movie explaining that part of my experiences here I'd out sell On Any Sunday.
2006 KLR650
Old 02-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #64647
Kurgan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Dam, where do you ride that? Looks like to the car wash and back but I don't see the white lime scale anywhere, unless you polished it away. That is one well cleaned / loved Dl1000....... Mine was an abused child.
Old habits, I used to detail vehicles as a main source of income years back and my bikes are spoiled mechanical kids.

I'm not a fair weather only rider, but I draw the line at winter muck. Roads coated with brine spray, salt or calcum chloride, etc., the bike stays parked. I went through that with one bike years ago and even with daily washing the fight against corrosion was impossible to win.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #64648
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Indy, the guys at the shop are going to try to get more DS rides in this summer so I may go to more myself and ride the 350 instead of the 640.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I have crappy luck with batteries. My 9 month old BikeMaster battery doesn't have the balls to turn over the KTM on a cold morning. Research has led me to believe it's just a shitty under-powered battery, and many have issues with them in the big KTMs.

Mine has issues also, I usually replace it every 2 or 3 years. it was replaced before the Alaska trip as a precaution and in Denali, the bike would barely turn over in the cold. When I ride to work in the winter, I either plug it in or park it on the show room floor like I did today. I am not sure what you underseat pan looks like but I am thinking about moving my battery up there and putting in a larger unit and moving the tools down under the skid plate in the old battery box leaving a wrench out to get the skidder down. The downside is, there is quite a bit of heat up there.

What weight oil are you using? I've been using a 15/40 or 50 diesel oil and I probably should have been using a 10/50 as suggested by KTM. I put the 10/50 in when I rebuilt the motor last week and the thing starts incredibly fast on the battery that barely turned it over 3 weeks ago.

From what I understand, lithium batteries hate cold and love heat and was told to avoid them if I ride in the winter which may end this year, I just replaced my 2nd starter relay due to salt damage.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #64649
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Actually, I changed my mind after viewing your blog, which I took the liberty of quoting, unmolested, below.

P.S., you should pay your debts, you have numerous open civil cases in Mercer County pertaining to money you owe creditors.
I molested (trimmed) it...

Quote:
Back on, I can go back to enjoying the ride reports....but won't grace the assholes with my opinions or comments on the "East Ohio Hi~Jack" thread...however with the new fun involved, I will make a few comments on the "JoMomma" section, where politics and flame wars are front and center...this morning I already jumped in on the Phillip Seymore Hoffman death....hoping to stir a few of the lefties up....

This is one thing I will never understand, why a site like Advrider would even have a jomamma section, basement or similar when it has nothing to do with riding?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #64650
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I molested (trimmed) it...

This is one thing I will never understand, why a site like Advrider would even have a jomamma section, basement or similar when it has nothing to do with riding?
Not the riding but the social aspect of humans. I'd rather there was a basement where people can go to be arm chair warriors than have that bravado in here.
2006 KLR650