User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,094
A CannonTour of the Eastern Upper Peninsula

This ride takes in a couple of thousand miles of the eastern upper peninsula of Michigan. We'll explore some of the history, scenery, industry, and curiosities of the area. As usual, I'll provide GPS information with tracks and points of interest for others to use to plan their own trip. This report is a companion to something similar I reported on in the western UP. Together, they are a pretty comprehensive guide to the Upper Peninsula.

Sometimes the ride can be a bit challenging for a solo rider on a big bike.

I have thousands of miles of GPS tracks for riding in the UP and sometimes host group rides for small/medium dual sports. This ride is intended for big adventure bikes. I'll be tidying up the track I rode to modify it to take out some of the sections that might be unreasonable for the average big bike rider. I'll give information about some of the paths (sand challenges and the like) as I cover the path in the narrative.

I met some interesting people along the way and will share some of those stories as well. I hope you find it entertaining and I hope it encourages more people to visit the UP.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Excellent !

Happy to be aboard for this one ! Always so well done and with some excellent images. Thanks for the effort !

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I'm In

This is gonna be good! I'm real interested in how the Tenere performs and your experience with it. I ride it's little brother, WR250R, mainly fishing along the North coast of the UP, and south of Marquette, west of 95. Have fun! Rubber side down!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
KYMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Great teaser photos! Looking forward to more.
KYMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 320
Big bikes, UP, IN!

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,158
Sweet! Opening pic sets the hook.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Savoir-Faire
Powered by Hate

Oddometer: 859
Always up for one of your reports. Thanks so much for your research. Through you, I've learned a lot about the region I've worked to relocate myself to.

To the readers, if you haven't seen one, look them up. A CannonShot ride report is better than anything you'll find on the History Channel on whatever topic he covers.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
firedevildog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
WOOHOO love your RR did ur CDT route
heading to do UTBDR COBDR in Sept
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
BoxerDoc
Still a nOOb

Oddometer: 107
Can't wait for more UP goodness!
Mine: 11 BMW R1200GSA Eierlegende Wollmilchsau
Hers: 04 BMW F650GS Libelle
BoxerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
I'm all in for another Cannonshot adventure.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Day 1 Starting Out in Marinette WI

Well, let's roll with this thing.

I started out in Marinette (WI) which is the twin city to Menominee (MI). Both cities straddle the Menominee River.

Best not to start on an empty stomach. Stop in at Mickey Lu's for a burger, brat, or hot dog.

The menu focuses on charcoal cooked foods. The delicious smell of grilling food is pretty evident even when you drive by.

They have a juke box that plays records. Fits the place well.

One of the lakeside parks is named for a military division.

Nice set-up with the sand bar and Lake Michigan.

The 32d (Red Arrow) Division was a National Guard Division made up of troops from Wisconsin and Michigan. Their insignia represents that they penetrated every German line they went up against in WWI. Of all the American army divisions that were deployed in WWI, there were only a very few that the German army leaders were very respectful (fearful) of. The 32d was one of those which was remarkable for a National Guard division during a time in history when cities had to come up with the money to even build an armory in their town.

During WWII the Wisconsin and Michigan troops went to the pacific theater where they had more days in combat than any other division.

This town is proud to have had their citizens as part of the division. The 32d is now a combat brigade in Wisconsin.

A beautiful park and beach.

There must be a law against painting these commercial fishing boats to make them look a little nicer. Seems like most of them look pretty run down appearance-wise. There used to be a huge fishing fleet based here. Now there are only a few boats still in business.

ThyssenKrupp (the big German outfit) has a foundry in town. It looks like they converted this ore carrier to a dock and cargo handling facility.

This is the Menehaunee Taverns. Basically it is a street with a bunch of joints on it where mariners might spend some time while their ships are unloading. This is a workers neighborhood.

Back in the day, sawmills produced a lot of sawdust. Sawdust and sand collected inside the breakwater at the river mouth producing some land that squatters soon occupied. They built shacks and eventually nicer buildings on the land. In the early 1900s the squatters won a landmark case against the lumber companies which got them title to the lands that were created and that they settled on.

The Ironworks Bar is a new joint across from the ship yard. They just redid the place. The sculpture on the face is remarkable.

It is a copy of some work that Sergio Furnari did in New York after 9/11.

This was built in 1893 by a lumber baron. Stained glass, carved wooden staircase, elegant stuff.

Flagship store from back in the day when Lauerman had a chain of department stores. Big deal at the time. This 1904 building took up a whole block just by itself. The upper window style were an innovation of the Chicago school of forward looking architecture.

Timber products created this town.

I think the Kimberly Clark mill in town produces toilet paper.

There is a logging museum along the river. It has a miniature version of a logging camp you can visit.

This house was a wedding gift from a lumber baron to his daughter.

So was this one.

A parade was running on my intended track. I had to walk.

I think the Stephenson that donated this library was a lumber baron. It is a 1903 neo-classic building with a rotunda with a stained glass skylight.

The Menominee River begins just 12 miles from Lake Superior and yet it runs into Lake Michigan. It is formed other rivers that converge. It drops about 700 feet from the start to where it empties into the lake. The river is named after the Menominee Indians that lived here until they moved to the Wolf River in WI in the 1850s. Furs were brought down the river for trade.

Logging during the period 1865-1895 made this an important river for transporting logs. That all ended with the last log drive in 1917. Menominee was once the biggest lumber port in the UP. Lumber from this port helped rebuild Chicago after their 1871 fire. Nearby Peshtigo (next down down) was wiped out in a forest fire on that same date. Despite having far more devastating results the Peshtigo fire was not well reported in the news because of its remoteness and being overshadowed by the Chicago event. The Peshtigo fire produced the most deaths by fire in US history.

There are 10 hydroelectric dams that create reservoirs and produce power. Four paper mills are set up along the river.

This 1920s mill is closed. Kimberly Clark has an active mill in town just up the river a tad.

Lauerman's place. Built in 1910. Glass chandeliers and all that kind of luxurious stuff.

An Indian chief's daughter had a trading post set up here along the river. It would have been in the front yard of the lot this house is on now. Interesting to stand there and imagine how it was when they were trading furs here.

Marinette Marine is still building ships here in town. I think they built one of the Staten Island ferries. They do work for the Navy now. It is a huge economic impact to the region.

Right now they are cranking out Littoral Combat Ships for the Navy.

Big controversy about these ships. They can't take hits like other ships and some say that there is no longer a burning need for them.

The ships have modules that allow them to change configurations based on mission requirements. So far they cut back on the number the Navy will have them build, but the program is still going.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 09:20 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitRock View Post
Happy to be aboard for this one ! Always so well done and with some excellent images. Thanks for the effort !

Brent
Thanks Brent! And thanks for appreciating the effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
This is gonna be good! I'm real interested in how the Tenere performs and your experience with it. I ride it's little brother, WR250R, mainly fishing along the North coast of the UP, and south of Marquette, west of 95. Have fun! Rubber side down!
Thanks for coming along! We'll see how that Tenere works out further down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMike View Post
Great teaser photos! Looking forward to more.
Thanks for following along Mike!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wedge View Post
Big bikes, UP, IN!
Thanks for joining in! Should be fun and interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Sweet! Opening pic sets the hook.
Thanks for coming along. There is a story to that opening picture mishap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir-Faire View Post
Always up for one of your reports. Thanks so much for your research. Through you, I've learned a lot about the region I've worked to relocate myself to.

To the readers, if you haven't seen one, look them up. A CannonShot ride report is better than anything you'll find on the History Channel on whatever topic he covers.
Thanks! The research makes the ride so much more interesting. I also learn a lot from people I meet along the way. People have some great stories about some of these things.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedevildog View Post
WOOHOO love your RR did ur CDT route
heading to do UTBDR COBDR in Sept
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed ACA's Great Divide Ride and I hope that report helped youw ith your planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerDoc View Post
Can't wait for more UP goodness!
The UP is a wonderful place to explore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
I'm all in for another Cannonshot adventure.
Thanks for coming along! Hope you are entertained and informed.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
T
Thanks for coming along. There is a story to that opening picture mishap.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote