Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Meathead OP
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Why the x76/x78 series for off-road?

This has probably been beaten to death, but (some) searching didn't provide an obvious answer, sooo . . .

I've always been curious just why it is that many inmates who go on extended off-road rides, or who simply ride a lot off-road, seem to prefer the Garmin x76/x78 series GPS receivers. I'd love a one-sentence, concise answer, but doubt that one really exists.

One search found a thread comparing the Zumo to the x76/x78 series for off-road use. One inmate asked why others would choose the 478 over the others, and Albie said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
The 478 over the 378 if you do custom routing and uploading to the GPS.
I'd like to hear some explanation of this rationale. Is the 378 incapable of accepting a route from my PC?

These two units are priced identically on at least two sites, so I'm also curious what the difference is. Is it simply the difference in saltwater/freshwater focus?

I doubt I'm the only one contemplating these things. It'd suit me just fine if this thread evolved into a general discussion of the benefits and drawbacks of this particular series of GPS receivers.

Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
I've always been curious just why it is that many inmates who go on extended off-road rides, or who simply ride a lot off-road, seem to prefer the Garmin x76/x78 series GPS receivers. I'd love a one-sentence, concise answer, but doubt that one really exists.
It's because the big high resolution screen shows more map detail. This gives a better overview and makes it easier to find alternative roads.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,781
How about two sentences?

1. The X76/X78 have superior track handling capabilities to the Streetpilots, Quests, Zumos, etc.
2. The screen size is nice.

And a couple more for good measure
3. The 378 don't come with the XM puck.
4. The 378's have issues with mapping and the underlying map data *Important Note About GPSMAP 378 Maps

There are a lot of threads discussing these, though they're probably 6 months or older.
Check this one out. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=376c

I have a 376c. Not cheap, but I love it.

Dave

Dave

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 11-26-2007 at 05:53 PM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
How about two sentences?

1. The X76/X78 have superior track handling capabilities to the Streetpilots, Quests, Zumos, etc.
2. The screen size is nice.

And a couple more for good measure
3. The 378 don't come with the XM puck.
4. The 378's have issues with mapping and the underlying map data *Important Note About GPSMAP 378 Maps

There are a lot of threads discussing these, though they're probably 6 months or older.
Check this one out. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=376c

I have a 376c. Not cheap, but I love it.

Dave

Dave
Why 'x76/x'78? Screen resolution/brightness/size, ability to customize what data are presented on each screen, track handling, real XM weather (notably NEXRAD radar overlay, cloud cover overlay, etc. ['376 and higher]), 'real' nav data.

The '276 is a great deal, but not XM capable, no maps in the box and uses Garmin's proprietary (relatively expensive) memory cards; '376 comes with the XM receiver, but needs Garmin's memory cards, no maps in the box; '378 comes with all CN North America preloaded, but the XM receiver is optional and can't upload routes from a PC; the '478 comes with CN NA preloaded, but the XM receiver is optional and can upload routes. Again, the 'x76 do not come with CN, it's an optional extra as are the memory cards to hold the maps. The 'x78 come with the maps preloaded, but XM is optional.

Some people think that they're being mislead or cheated when they need to pay extra for the maps/XM, but that's crazy -- you're not being charged for that stuff when you buy, and you only need pay for what you actually want. Take the time to read what it comes with. Honestly, it does get confusing.

Good luck.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Having just received your old Zumo550, Mark, I can't speak TOO intelligently about it, but . . ..

I like the small, compact body of the Zumo. I like that there's not a protruding antenna. I like that the maps are preloaded. I like the mount; it feels more secure than my 276C mount.

On my 276, I definitely prefer the larger screen that allows for more detail (more streets) over a larger area. I hate the proprietary data cards. The unit is big and clunky (but that allows the larger screen).
The larger screen that allows for viewing more street detail over a larger area is a HUGE plus.

If I don't end up keeping the Zumo, I'll definitely be buying a 478 one day. From what I understand, the aforementioned routing/map issues mean the 376/378 doesn't work for our purposes.

I think Garmin still hasn't come up with the best motorcycle GPSunit.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
RAW
stamen in the sniffer

Oddometer: 3,838
Oh. and the Zumo receiver chip is much better than the 276 IMO. And that's just from playing with it in the house. The 276 won't lock on to satellites unless it has a pretty clear view of the sky. I've lost signal in the woods a few times with the 276.

I imagine the Zumo will be a little better in that regard.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW
From what I understand, the aforementioned routing/map issues mean the 376/378 doesn't work for our purposes.

I think Garmin still hasn't come up with the best motorcycle GPSunit.
The 376 doesn't have the routing issues. Only the 378.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
Meathead OP
tin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW
Oh. and the Zumo receiver chip is much better than the 276 IMO. And that's just from playing with it in the house. The 276 won't lock on to satellites unless it has a pretty clear view of the sky. I've lost signal in the woods a few times with the 276.

I imagine the Zumo will be a little better in that regard.
Having no experience with the x76, etc. series, I can't comment. I can, however, tell you that the Zumo is surprisingly good at eventually finding a signal indoors. However, it will still lose a signal in "deep" mountain valley roads, very heavily wooded areas, and congested metro areas, the latter of which we know to be of no concern to you.

Hope you enjoy it, mang. More importantly, I hope I don't regret selling it.

Oh, and the 478's on the way.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW
Oh. and the Zumo receiver chip is much better than the 276 IMO. And that's just from playing with it in the house. The 276 won't lock on to satellites unless it has a pretty clear view of the sky.
the latest firmware update from garmin for the 276 makes a noticeable difference in reception. Still not as good as the new chips but better than before.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #10
Meathead OP
tin man

Touratech's 478 mounts are all backordered.

Is anyone aware of any other distributor that may have one of these? Maybe even an inmate looking to sell one?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Touratech's 478 mounts are all backordered.

Is anyone aware of any other distributor that may have one of these? Maybe even an inmate looking to sell one?

When I got mine, I think it was backordered for a couple weeks. I had my order in so it cleared and shipped when stock came in.

I'm not looking to sell mine, but I will loan it to you for a month or two if you are in a bind.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
Meathead OP
tin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
When I got mine, I think it was backordered for a couple weeks. I had my order in so it cleared and shipped when stock came in.

I'm not looking to sell mine, but I will loan it to you for a month or two if you are in a bind.

Dave
Wow. Thanks for the offer, Dave.

I can't claim to be in a bind just yet. Lemme get an order placed with TT and see what they say. I may well have a coupla no-riding weeks ahead of me anyway.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Wow. Thanks for the offer, Dave.

I can't claim to be in a bind just yet. Lemme get an order placed with TT and see what they say. I may well have a coupla no-riding weeks ahead of me anyway.
Any "friend" of NoMystery is a friend of mine.

We did meet, really briefly, out at WF. I think in the Burrito line.

TT is really pretty good about clearing backorders. It seems they can't keep stuff in stock, though.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave

dunno.....