Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #91
OldOzy
Banned

Oddometer: 4,055
Theres gotta be something,

like plonk is good on cake and jelly...

beers gotta be good in something.

Klay has nearly got powdered beer perfected.
OldOzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #92
xtz_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Cool2 What does everyone think about these new protable camp stoves ?

What does everyone think about these new little protable camp stoves ?
my bro in law bought one, and it was pretty good, he used only 2 of the butane cans and which lasted for 3 days of cooking, incl. brekky, lunch and tea, and to boil the water for a fresh hot coffee in the mornings. Big W and Kmart sell them for around $17, and $6.50 for a 4 pk of butane cans. I have been tossing up weather to get on or not, as i am limited on space, not havin any panniers. I am still getting back into riding long distances, I bought a little cheap and nasty 2 man tent, only cost me $23, i priced one of these one mans tents and well i asked santa for one for christmas, but the one i got for m now packs up pretty small but the friggen fold up poles, well i am still working on making them fold smaller, might cut the elastic and then cut the pole peices all in half and put more slot things on them, and then thread the elastic back through them. alot of mucking around, but would be better in the long run.
Attached Images

Now i am back and ready to go... after a longish break, my 'Ten' is now fully operational and now fully legal, so now it is time to ketchup on what i have missed out on, and clock up the K's some more
You only have one life, live it like there is no tomorrow!
xtz_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #93
xtz_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr_dude
my bro in law bought one, and it was pretty good, he used only 2 of the butane cans and which lasted for 3 days of cooking, incl. brekky, lunch and tea, and to boil the water for a fresh hot coffee in the mornings. Big W and Kmart sell them for around $17, and $6.50 for a 4 pk of butane cans. I have been tossing up weather to get on or not, as i am limited on space, not havin any panniers. I am still getting back into riding long distances, I bought a little cheap and nasty 2 man tent, only cost me $23, i priced one of these one mans tents and well i asked santa for one for christmas, but the one i got for m now packs up pretty small but the friggen fold up poles, well i am still working on making them fold smaller, might cut the elastic and then cut the pole peices all in half and put more slot things on them, and then thread the elastic back through them. alot of mucking around, but would be better in the long run.
here's my tent, oops, this is the 4 man tent, working on making this one fit on the bike too, it also packs up pretty smallish.
Attached Images

Now i am back and ready to go... after a longish break, my 'Ten' is now fully operational and now fully legal, so now it is time to ketchup on what i have missed out on, and clock up the K's some more
Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 AM   #94
xtz_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
here's my tent, oops, this is the 4 man tent, working on making this one fit on the bike too, it also packs up pretty smallish.
heres the two person tent !
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #95
Happy Finger's
Banned

Oddometer: 1,863
KLRdude

i took one of those stoves on the goondi trip

sure it works but it took up a lot of valuable room
the refills dont last as long as you might think

and when the cans are 2/3 rds empty they dont give out enough pressure to run the burner at full

and when its cold same problem
the burner wont run at full

so my vote would be just pay that little bit extra for the genuine article (fold up burner) about $90
Happy Finger's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #96
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Yes but they do boil alot of water fast!, if your efficient enough you could make a 550g self sealing canister for a 100g colapsabe stove last a week and a half.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:53 AM   #97
xtz_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

I got this one off ebay some time ago, but it takes up some room, it's designed for camping, comes in it's own thermal bag thingy, its a wood cooker, looks a bit like a deep pan aprox 25cm diam by 20 cm deep, with a grill rack on top, but the rack bit opens so you can put bread or meat or fish in it or what ever you like, but as i said it takes up some room, so this would be more of a hinderance on a bike.
this one i don't have a pic of, but thats why i earlier asked what ppl thought of the portable butane camp stove. i'll have to price one of the others locally, think rays outdoors sell them.
or i'll just stick to the campsite bbq's, atleast they are free to use for us happy campers.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #98
desert dog
scrub basher

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOzy
Theres gotta be something,

like plonk is good on cake and jelly...

beers gotta be good in something.

Klay has nearly got powdered beer perfected.

beer damper receipe, yeast helps with the rising & if its Coopers Beer then it will also add to the flavour.

plonk and kraft coon cheese; now thats Breakfast.

outback ADV
not havin a go at anyone in particular ("just all of you"),
but what about real food. ???
veggies - store & travel well, can be purchased along the way and taste good, can't take meat "cause we aint got a fridge" bullshit, frozen snags / meat can be bought at most servo's, plastic container - cold for a day or 2.
rice/noodles & can tuna, can peas, dice a carrot and an onion, bbq sauce (single serve packs) = stir fry or stew
make up ready damper mix + alfoil = fresh bread

remember your on holidays, your stomach & health are not, unless you want the other end to take a holiday aswell ???

ok, its not so easy on the East Coast, but a days ride west and its easy...
sitting round the fire and havin a few drinks while ya tucker cook's.....mmm

just a thought, eat well, play well !!!

the idea of heading into the desert with hydrated food (ie. need to add WATER to eat it) dosnt make any sense to me. "extra water"

bikes breaking frames because of extra weight, heading into the Simpson with 18L water + 48L fuel + gear - where's the fun in that, not having a go at anyone, least of all the guy who's figures Im quoting, but surely the idea of the Holiday is to have fun.
some dont like sand dunes / bulldust and a few just love it "wipe drool of screen" why not unload the bike, let down ya tires and have some fun ???

sorry OldOzy for quoting you, but I know you understand ???

returning from my recent trip to Finke and heading south down the stuart hwy, just past ingomar HS turn off, and me mate (first time in the outback) was driving the Landy and I was telling him about Len Beedell & the gunbarrell hwy etc.
when I recalled one of his stories of how he met a bloke on a royal enfield or norton, heading up to coober pedy just near here.
me mate just smiled and said awesome !!!
I just smiled and thought to myself " yep, 12 days from port agusta, all his belonging's in the metal chest on the back and couple more days to go !!!"
it was 1948 !!! ADV legend

cheers, the real adventure is getting there,..................... and back.

desert dog screwed with this post 06-23-2009 at 10:49 AM
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #99
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
Hey Mate!!

They are nasty crap IMHO. You are tied to using gas canisters that tend to add to the land fill issue. Ask the next ranger about how many empty ones are littered in his park..... Not saying anyone here would do that but you know how the great unwashed are... And once you run outta gas if you don't have spares (taking up valuable space) you are rooted. They are not that small either... Space and weight on a bike mean a great deal.

I use a metho fired Trangia style thing. Great stuff I thought until recently I tried to buy Methylated Spirits in Alice Springs. I could've bought smack with greater ease I think!!

My next stove will be a MSR whisperlight international. packs up small, weighs nothing and promises to burn almost anything including unleaded petrol. You have to carry that anyway so why duplicate?? Makes sense. Bloody expensive 'though. Anyone used one?

Tents..... After 15 nights in the desert, I'm convinced the word tent is old english for useless piece of frustrating crap.

My mate had a simple system. Biker swag, ground sheet tarp and Army issue Hootchie. It took him all of 30 seconds to set up camp and he could get to the serious business of drinkin' beer around the fire. He'd throw out his ground tarp, throw out the swag, undo the valve on the self inflating mattress and string up the hootchie between bike and tree/shrub if it was raining. Jobs done. In the morning, reverse procedure.

My tent.... Wet. Condensation. Pegs, poles ARRRRGGGGHHHH!! Double the frustration if dark. I seriously considered throwing the thing in the fire.

You know what the MOST important bit of camping gear is for my money?? A fold up chair. 10 bucks from Coles. I've spent upto 80 bucks on em and they all break in the end. Treat it as a disposable item. I'd happilly pay big dollars for one that'd last but there is no such thing. Our mates in China must be laughing themselves silly...

Quote:
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #100
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash
Hey Mate!!

My next stove will be a MSR whisperlight international. packs up small, weighs nothing and promises to burn almost anything including unleaded petrol. You have to carry that anyway so why duplicate?? Makes sense. Bloody expensive 'though. Anyone used one?
Yep got an old one, found it to be a fiddly cantakerous pos which flames up and scares the shit out of you (as long as your fast enough to get away from it) with regular frequency. To be noted however I was using petrol in it which you should only do if nothing else availlable as it soots it up.

If you want to play with one we can sort something out.
I now own a butane cooker.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #101
OldOzy
Banned

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Yep got an old one, found it to be a fiddly cantakerous pos which flames up and scares the shit out of you (as long as your fast enough to get away from it) with regular frequency. To be noted however I was using petrol in it which you should only do if nothing else availlable as it soots it up.

Please post video of cooking with petrol...
OldOzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #102
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,122
Interesting... Waddya want for it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve

Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #103
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,037
I have one of those butane cookers. it is a S/Steel model my daughter gave me for father's day. I use it when camping, but not with the bike. For that i bought a mini stove from Kathmandu on special for $19 and it uses the same gas bottles as my jet boil. Works well.

I like to make coffee on one and cook on the other at the same time.

Happy Snapper
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #104
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash
Interesting... Waddya want for it??
Let me pull it out of mothballs and check I've got it all, will PM you.
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #105
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:

got one given to me. yes handy for a quick cuppa or a fryup but due to size was left for vehicle based stuff.
have now given it to the old girl for when the lekky goes out and she’s got no cooking.

wouldn’t take one on the bike. too big for starters. and it’d be a bit overkill for the pot/cup I cook me feed in.
I use a trangia burner with a little shield/stand and a pot/big cup as the cooking vessel.
can even take a dehandled a jaffal iron.
slow but works a treat.
always liked the idea of a msr, but never got there as the little meto burner works so well.

on the tent argument,
tents with ally poles and clips are heaps easier/better than ‘glass poles and pole sleeves.
vestubles also rule if you encounter unfriendly weather.
I have done my time with swags, hootchies and tarps and unless I am garanteed perfect weather and nil mozzies, I will always take a tent.
must be getting soft.

and thanks fellas, honed my skills on the damper with sundried toms, olives, garlic and chilli as noted above. yum
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote