Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Curryinahurry OP
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 533
The 08 Far Cairn Rally ride

What a Far Cairn Weekend!! Hehe

The original planned route to the Rally:

Well it did start that way…. Left work at 5.00 pm friday, got the bike packed and left home by 7.00pm and promptly got stuck in the M5 tunnel for 45 minutes!! Got to BP North Richmond by 8.20pm. Mick (who lives in Bathurst) had booked a room for me at the Shanahan Family hotel – where there is a sign saying – Topless waitresses on Wednesdays!! Well they do know which side of the Family they want to keep happy!! Hehe…
After unpacking and checking in, the chatting and drinking continued till 3.00am. For $ 40.00, it was very comfortable room with very clean facilities. So On Saturday morning, I was up very early at 8.30 am and off by 9.00. I had already plotted my route to Tottenham on map source and so, I was away following the GPS.
This was the last night’s crime scene:

And a well rested and fresh looking me – Yeah Right!

The route planned was Bathurst – Lewis Pond – Ophir – Mullion Creek – Belgravia – Cumnock - Peak Hill - Tullamore – Tottenham. The map is given below:

This was an amazing dirt road with beautiful green landscapes. The moment I left the bitumen, I pulled over and had to take a photo… Notice how the Tiger is all shiny after the OCR! What! No Motorbikes??

The condition of the dirt was very easy – especially after what I have been through at the Red Centre and of course with a lighter load!

I was able to sit 80-100 KMPH but a word of caution – there are a few 25/35 KMPH corners! After some beautiful countryside, I reached the Summer Hill Creek at Ophir. This was once a gold mining area. Apparently, all the gold for all the 2000 Olympics came from here. There are good camping sites near the river and you have walks to go around to the mines.

After a few photos and a relaxing rest, I proceeded to Peak hill. Stopped for fuel at Molong:

Just before Peak Hill, I came across the pretty Canola field:

Thought I will try one of my “artistic” shots as well:

After refuelling at Peak Hill and Filling up my 10L Fuel Cell, I headed to Tottenham. Let me tell you, I did this exact leg on my way to “kinda” OCR and after some rain, the dirt was wet and slippery!! But not today, with such a warm weather and dry track, it was a pleasure riding through that stretch:

I reached Tottenham and rode in to the race course. It was a beautiful sight to see all the bikes there. After finding a stable for my Tiger and setting up my tent, it was time to say hi to one and all. Some pictures from the rally site:

This was where I called home and my own stall for the Tiger

I also saw my Tiger’s twin – a very shiny and new one as well:

Notice the 3 o’ clock arm positions – well there were quite a few of them around!

Unfortunately, Evan’s rear tyre was starved to the ribs – literally:

We then all gathered for a group photo:

After some time around the fire, and with the company of a few Blondes, it was time for bed. This is when the storm started in earnest! My air bed had lost all the air and during the night, my tent was ripped off the pegs and a bit of water got in – just enough to soak my sleeping bag!!
So, after a wet night sleep, I got up to a sunny morning and slowly everyone started packing up and leaving. Thanks to the local Lions club for putting up a good feed! The venue is very good with a big kitchen, microwave, stove, clean amenities and wide open spaces!
Paul, Ian, Andrew and self left as a group and we decided to do boring bitumen on the way back. That is when the skies opened up and with a very strong cross winds, it was tough riding. Visibility was down to a few feet in front. But we kept on till Bathurst and after a lap around Mount Panorama, we stopped for good hot food. The sun came out for a few minutes and after this rest stop, we went back to Mount Panorama and met up with some MCC delegates there:

This is where Ian’s 1150 had some trouble. He even got on his knees and tried pleading with her but she was very adamant!!

So, it was a ride back to Sydney for Ian minus any clutch!! Woz and Ian decided to go through the Great western while Paul, Andrew and self took the Bells line of road back… wet all the way till I reached home. Overall It was an amazing weekend and looking forward to Tottenham every year in future!
Cheers
Bala
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
aussiedav
... it's just a road

Oddometer: 1,777
Hey mate, good meeting you at the rally and thanks for the report.

Seems I was on a slight rise and although about 2cm of water around me I had none in the tent.
IBA#22575 - IBR in 2009
My Stuff - FarRiders
1400GTR Kawasaki
aussiedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Great ride there mate.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Excellent report Paddy

Looks like all the usual suspects in attendence

Tip - Stay away from these three

The one legged one in particular.

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
gricho
Trust me its this way

Oddometer: 131
Again you come through Bathurst and once again no phone call, Giddy will be disapointed with you Bala.

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
gricho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #6
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 4,708
Nice!!! The Central West is a tourer's paradise, so many back roads, and I bet guys like Gricho know some crackers, I feel a ride coming on!!!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,875
yip yar!
philth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,366
Looks like a fun event!

What is the purpose of the license plate cover on the bike with the worn tyre? Does it somehow "hide" the plate on demand?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
Giddy Goanna
Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gricho
Again you come through Bathurst and once again no phone call, Giddy will be disapointed with you Bala.
Drinking and riding in our locale without so much as a yahoo or a giddy up, again!
Myyyyyyyyyte!

Curry, why dost thou always hurrieth?

Don't let the cock crow thrice and still disown us.

Worried about another "broken cart track" adventure?

You didn't need the locals knowledge to find some great tracks.

I particularly like your stretch from Mullion Creek to Belgravia.
Shame you didn't turn south into Kangaroobie Rd. It's a corker.
BTW, who's Mick? (your Family hotel drinkin' bud).
Enjoying your reports.
Keep the shiny side up (and your panniers on their frames)

Giddy Goanna screwed with this post 09-22-2008 at 06:54 PM
Giddy Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
What is the purpose of the license plate cover on the bike with the worn tyre? Does it somehow "hide" the plate on demand?
I was going to spin you some bullshit story... but it's just a perspex rego plate cover. You can also get them for cars as well. Doesn't do anything really except try and make the whole affair look a bit tidier!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #11
Curryinahurry OP
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 533
Gday Folks!!

Sorry Eevrybody for the delay in responding!

Good to meet you too Aussiedav - Hope to see you at the next Rally

Thanks Zadok!

OziMick - Thanks Myte! Now you are talking!! Tiger is the way to go! Let me tell you, the Tiger is no KTM but you will be surprised how well she can handle the terrain!! Join the Bengal Tiger for some awesome fun and you will not regret it!!

Davo - Thanks Myte... pity you were at Dargo and missed this one... You are right. Those three are trouble!! I have ridden with them once on my way back from Burren Junction. They took me through this dirt road between Scones and Singleton!! Amazing track on the crest of the hill and after the 8th water crossing, I just stopped counting!! Overall, I was glad to get out of that in one piece... but thoroughly enjoyed myself! They are very skilled riders!!

Gricho, Bob, Philth and Giddy - Maaaaate!! Sorry for not calling you G & G ( Gricho and Giddy) !! But dont blame me.... The timing was just wrong coz I was not sure when you guys got back from Frazer trip! Well, the weather is warming up anyways, so if you are game, I would be more than happy to workout a weekend in Oct and we can explore some amazing roads around Bathurst and Orange area. I am sure G & G will be able to take us through some!! Perhaps we can even camp around Ophir??!! Even David the Czech Bush mechanic might join us?? He is busy tuning up the trannie's new suspension with ATGreg and DR AT now.

Myte... after my OCR stint, I rekon I am a weeeeeeee bit more confident on the dirt now in NSW!! so BRING IT ON!! hehe...

Mick is a fellow memeber of BMWTCNSW who lives in Bathurst Giddy. He was the one who got me the room at the "Topless waitress Family hotel" ... nothing to be jealous of Giddy!!

Awwww JTB!! Myte, we could have had a bit of fun with Gadget boy about how we have this stunning Rego cover which defys speed cameras, red light cameras, swaps rego plates around as in the James Bond movies and de-foggs the rego plate in cold weather !! Wellll there is always next time??!!

Thanks Gadgetboy. but as JTB mentioned, it is just a cover for the rego plate and keeps it neat and clean. We also get same covers for cars...

Well Thanks for enjoying the RR and I hope to see you on the road sometime.

Ride safe...

Cheers

Ze Curry in Ze Hurry!!
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 AM   #12
BELLANEGRA
F650gs

Oddometer: 11
Laugh

Great ride report bala and great pic's,
See you next year.