Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
60cx software question

So, I have just learned that I can no longer add an additional GPS unit to my copy of CN NTv8 that is running on my 2720. Well that SUCKS - as I am going to get a 60CX for Christmas.

So...... let me ask something of you GPS gurus...... my original 2720 came loaded with CN NTv7, and DVD in the box. The screen ended up getting the fog behind it, so I sent it in to Garmin for repair. What I got shipped back to me was another 2720 with different serial # than the one I had and it came loaded with CN NTv8 and the DVD in the box...........SO, since I have both DVD's and the NTv7 isn't associated with the original 2720 I had - since it is probably in someone else's hands now - do you think I can use it with the 60cx with no issues of having to pony any more money up?

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #2
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,175
No.

You may be able to call them and tell them that the reason you got the 60Cx was because you were lead to believe that you could use the software on 2 units. I did this in August and was able to get an unlock from them.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9
So...... let me ask something of you GPS gurus...... my original 2720 came loaded with CN NTv7, and DVD in the box. The screen ended up getting the fog behind it, so I sent it in to Garmin for repair. What I got shipped back to me was another 2720 with different serial # than the one I had and it came loaded with CN NTv8 and the DVD in the box...........SO, since I have both DVD's and the NTv7 isn't associated with the original 2720 I had - since it is probably in someone else's hands now - do you think I can use it with the 60cx with no issues of having to pony any more money up?
I'm a firm "maybe".

The 60cx is compatible with the NT version of CN. And for v7 map data purchased separately, you were permitted two unlocks. Not sure about the prepackaged units. So - you may be able to transfer or unlock your 60 off the old version. Not likely you could get the update without paying the update fee.

It's worth a try. You can see how tight Garmin's registration system is.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, that sounds a little promising. I am only going to use the 60cx on my dirtbike, but may also use it on my other street bike from time to time - I really didn't see the added value of going from v7 to v8 anyways, so I don't care to just run it at v7 and not worry about any updating. Basically, just like to have it on the 60cx as something better than the basemap I hear everyone say sucks.

Having said that, will I need to install the v7 DVD on my pc in addition to the v8 DVD that is already on there? I am guessing so, in order to use the v7 maps on the 60cx, am I right in thinking this? That's not a problem if so, I have lots of free space on the pc.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Well, that sounds a little promising. I am only going to use the 60cx on my dirtbike, but may also use it on my other street bike from time to time - I really didn't see the added value of going from v7 to v8 anyways, so I don't care to just run it at v7 and not worry about any updating. Basically, just like to have it on the 60cx as something better than the basemap I hear everyone say sucks.

Having said that, will I need to install the v7 DVD on my pc in addition to the v8 DVD that is already on there? I am guessing so, in order to use the v7 maps on the 60cx, am I right in thinking this? That's not a problem if so, I have lots of free space on the pc.

You would have to install the v7 to unlock it.

You might just want to buy an old copy of Road & Rec off ebay. It has all the really small roads. You can't auto route, but I doubt you would want to most of the time. Haven't looked recently, but I heard they were selling for $35 or so a while back.

That's what i'm going to do (though I already own R&R and have CS v7 installed).

Dave

dunno.....
Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What was the latest version of R&R? I have seen a couple on ebay but don't know what versions there were.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
+1 for Roads & Rec off pavement. It does a great job showing the roads (some trails) & water details. The minor stream paths, which City Select (And I assume CN) doesn't show, help with understanding the local topography. I've used in chronological order, Roads & Rec v2, Topo v1?, World Map v3.01 & City Select v7. If i had to pick one for off-road it would be R&R. R&R was discontinued long ago but Inland Lakes is very similar.

MCNut
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
I'm not sure that the map data in R&R was ever updated. Sometimes it's nice to have all the latest roads, but I'm usually more interested in the old data ("Well my GPS shows were on a road!").

MCNut
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
What was the latest version of R&R? I have seen a couple on ebay but don't know what versions there were.
Mine is v2.01 circa 1999.

Since we look for old roads when riding, newer versions aren't any better than the '99 version.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I just went and logged in to mygarmin and I see 2 links that seem to lead me to the same page which has fields for my name, address and other info and says something like click submit to be emailed an unlock code. The links are titled.....

Redeem Additional Unlock Code

Unlock Additional Unit

Does this mean that I am good to go with NTv8 when I get the 60cx?

number9 screwed with this post 11-27-2007 at 08:04 PM
Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 AM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
So I just went and logged in to mygarmin and I see 2 links that seem to lead me to the same page which has fields for my name, address and other info and says something like click submit to be emailed an unlock code. The links are titled.....

Redeem Additional Unlock Code

Unlock Additional Unit

Does this mean that I am good to go with NTv8 when I get the 60cx?

Not necessarily. You will likely be told to provide a certificate number for the additional unit.

After I get my 60, I will be trying the unlock off of my CS v7. Hope that works. But I will just use R&R for most everything anyhow. CS is just nice when looking for the nearest gas station since it does searches and routing.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,951
Hiya electo-cartographers,
Maybe this is a good place for me to jump in the pool.
I did a search but didn,t find much on wold travel.

I have been running an Emap for years with the basemap and Worldmap outside the USA.
It wasn't always easy but the Emap got me through the Americas and across Northern Asia to Europe. I am headed back to Mongolia in the Spring from Germany via Romania, the Ukraine, the Stans, Mongolia and then train to Cambodia.

In the past with the Emap, I was only lost 30% of the time and I always knew which direction I was going thanks to my GPS. That was OK. The Emap saved my ass many times over.

Now I am looking at a new unit, the Garmin 60Csx. I looks like a great choice for my use.

Here are my questions and problems.
I have 4-5 year old Roads and Rec, Topo and Worldmap software for the Emap and I was using 128 meg cards that would basically hold a continent or two.
I know the cards from the Emap won't work with the 60Csx, but will the software work on the new unit and can I load it to the SD cards.

I just bought a used Lenovo(IBM) ThinkPad X40. It uncouples from the base that contains the DVD player and makes a very small package.
Is there anyway I can load World map onto it or do I have to carry the CD with me and spin it to get the data?
I read somewhere you can get 512meg micro SD cards that will fit. Would that hold all of Worldmap?
Is the older version of Worldmap still OK, can I update or buy unlock codes for the 60Csx?

I travel mostly outside the USA and I always need maps. Most of my travel is in the third world. I stay out of the cities. Lots of times not much shows up on world map for roads. I am OK with that. I use paper maps too.
I just want to do the best I can to update my navigation.
I heard Smellybiker mapping website is also an option but would it be a better one for me?

I am trying to put together a system that will see me the rest of the way through Asia, India and Africa.

Any advice would really be appreciated. I use Interet cafes when I travel and will have the ThinkPad plus an 80 gig external hard drive with me.
I got real confused reading about Google earth maps. I don't understand how it interfaces with Worldmap?
If someone would explain how that works I would really appreciate that too.
I did all the reading, I just need a little clarity.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 03:43 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #13
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Here are my questions and problems.
I have 4-5 year old Roads and Rec, Topo and Worldmap software for the Emap and I was using 128 meg cards that would basically hold a continent or two.
I know the cards from the Emap won't work with the 60Csx, but will the software work on the new unit and can I load it to the SD cards.
Check the garmin site under "Maps". There is a section that shows compatability. Most likely the answer is "yes".

Quote:
I just bought a used Lenovo(IBM) ThinkPad X40. It uncouples from the base that contains the DVD player and makes a very small package.
Is there anyway I can load World map onto it or do I have to carry the CD with me and spin it to get the data?
you can copy them on a hard disk and run them without the CDs.

Quote:
I read somewhere you can get 512meg micro SD cards that will fit. Would that hold all of Worldmap?
Don't know. Open Worldmap and select all the maps and see how big they are.

Quote:
Is the older version of Worldmap still OK, can I update or buy unlock codes for the 60Csx?
Check Garmin's site for update/upgrade info. They should tell you. A call to their tech line will provide more info.

Quote:
I heard Smellybiker mapping website is also an option but would it be a better one for me?
Haven't seen that one yet

Quote:
I am trying to put together a system that will see me the rest of the way through Asia, India and Africa.
Good luck on your trip.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #14
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
You can use a 2 gig microSD card with the 60CSx. Should hold a LOT of data.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
Mr. Disaster
Professional Gypsy

Oddometer: 3,686
I went through this a few years ago. I was told by garmin that I could use the mapsource software on up to two units. Give it a try and see what happens. You may just have to call customer service.

R1150GS

Shameless Smugmug plug: Coupon vSIRpdd4Dghll

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes.
Mr. Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote