Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #16
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
I have 4-5 year old Roads and Rec, Topo and Worldmap software for the Emap and I was using 128 meg cards that would basically hold a continent or two.

will the software work on the new unit and can I load it to the SD cards.
World map is not locked so you can use that on as many GPSes as you have.
I don't know the other products .. but I think Roads & Rec is not locked .. so

The 60Cx will take a 2G card - not the high speed ones .. The 2 G card may well take all you have Yes teh 60Cx loads the maps to teh card - use the usb interface (to spped things up) and it should all work .. Mapsource requiers the usb drivers avalible from the Garmin web site. Oh - and get teh lastest update of Mapsource while you are there too.
Quote:
I just bought a used Lenovo(IBM) ThinkPad X40. It uncouples from the base that contains the DVD player and makes a very small package.
Is there anyway I can load World map onto it or do I have to carry the CD with me and spin it to get the data?
Yes you can load mapsource and world map to it .. I forget how much space it takes ..
Quote:
I read somewhere you can get 512meg micro SD cards that will fit. Would that hold all of Worldmap?
Is the older version of Worldmap still OK, can I update or buy unlock codes for the 60Csx?
Buy the 2G cards .. set the 60Cx to record your daily logs to the card and set the detail to most.

The 2G card will contain all of world map but ...

This is what I do -
One 2 g card for each continent (at least) - this way you can have lots of data .. well ok the new City Nav Euro is over 2 G so you need to split that up if you get that ..
Quote:
I travel mostly outside the USA and I always need maps. Most of my travel is in the third world. I stay out of the cities. Lots of times not much shows up on world map for roads. I am OK with that. I use paper maps too.
I just want to do the best I can to update my navigation.
I heard Smellybiker mapping website is also an option but would it be a better one for me?
Yes! Version 1.7 of smelly bikers map 'Wanderlust' is coming out soonish ... and it may have auto routing .. helps with estimating distances ..

You can download a trial version of 1.6 .. it is strips across the world so you can see what detail there is ..

AND
it has a lot more detail .. well more than the old world map .. not certain about the newer world map .. but (this is the killer for me) 'wanderlust' will take your tracks and incroperate them in teh newer editions .. so others benifit from your travels .. and you benifit from them ..

Smellybiker is just doing version 1.7 now .. I think 1.6 is about 1 year old.. he is planing on leting people loose with the code so they can update it .. sharing the work load around .. see how that goes.

Quote:
I am trying to put together a system that will see me the rest of the way through Asia, India and Africa.
I'm afraid there is not much easily avalible there .. worldmap and 'wanderlust' are best (and fairly similar on the datail in Africa, wanderlust is better in other parts of the world) .. if you want to put in a lot of time/work there are some free maps on http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php but you'll need to generate the preview files to use them with mapsource .. that is a learning curve ... for generating the preview files you need cgpsmapper ... and the instructions .. Oh .. these maps may not be accurate .. but have more detail than worldmap .. so might just have the road your are on .. displaced say 2 km.. (note there are some good maps here - Gabon is excellent .. I'll not mention my Isle of Man map .. lesser ones on Tanzania (sp?), Jordan, India, Pakistan, Turkey )

For southern africa there is 'Tracks4Africa' they have a web site .. if you are going and are willing to let them have your track logs (where you have been) then you maybe able to beg them to let you have their tracks.. or if you really want more detail then buy their pro version .. has parks marked out .. and dangers on roads ..

Quote:
I got real confused reading about Google earth maps. I don't understand how it interfaces with Worldmap?
Err it interfaces with 'Mapsource' .. World map is the data .. Mapsource is the program that can use that data .. the interface is such that you can place your tracks (where you have been) onto google ... or you can 'plan' a trip on google and then transfer the waypoints onto mapsource .. and that then can transfer the waypoints onto the GPS. Warning - the 60Cx has limited room for waypoints... and routes (but putting the track log onto the memeory card means lots of room there).

-------------------------------------------------
On the comment about using the Garmin software on upto two units ...

This is true for some mapsets .. past City Navigators for instance. The lastest City Navigators are cheaper .. but only allow ONE gps to use the mapset. Some mapsets (like 'Worldmap') were not 'locked' to any gps .. so you can ues them with unlimited gpses (provided they are all yours [legally])

Smellybiker has not locked 'Wandrelust' .. but askes that you respect the copywirte .. and the price is cheap .. and half of it goes to charity !!!!
------------- enough! ?

Frank Warner screwed with this post 12-04-2007 at 09:44 PM
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 AM   #17
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
WOW Can there be any more??? It would take me a year to Geek through all of that. Too bad this couldn't be broken as a separate subject and stickered.
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 AM   #18
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,973
Hiya Frank and all others who commented.
Thank you for taking the time.
I know these are rudimentary questions so my appreciation is doubled.

I understand everything, I am hoping that after Christmas GPS prices will hit rock bottom and I can get the best deal on a new unit.

I guess the only unanswered question for me now is regarding the newest version of World map.

Here goes...
Is the newest version better?

If the newer version is not locked can it be copied to a CD/DVD?

Would this be illegal to copy or does Garmin want us to share the data because it isn't locked/

Why didn't they lock the data?

Can I run World map and Smelly biker simultaneously or switch back and forth on the Garmin 60Csx?

Finally a computer terminology question.
Am I understanding the usage of words correctly in that it is correct to say data does not interface with data, programs interface with data?
I am an English major but...not this English.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-05-2007 at 12:18 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #19
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Is the newest version of World Map better?
Don't know
World Map version 3.01 is 190 Mb on my hard disk
Wanderlust is 960Mb .. most of that apears to be Russian dat .. or European
WorldMap is better in the USA .. not saying much ...

You can look at the detail of WorldMap current version on Garmins web site.
Quote:
If the newer version is not locked can it be copied to a CD/DVD?
Yes
Quote:
Would this be illegal to copy or does Garmin want us to share the data because it isn't locked/
Not leagal to copy, except for backup
Quote:
Why didn't they lock the data?
Costs
Quote:
Can I run World map and Smelly biker simultaneously or switch back and forth on the Garmin 60Csx?
Yes but it is confusing when you have 2 roads - both named the same and both representing teh same road .. but displaced .. best to chose one that is closest to what you are experiencing.

Secondly .. I find switching back and forth is not easy on the 60Cx .. might be better on other models? Or I have missed some menu somewheres...

Quote:
Finally a computer terminology question.
Am I understanding the usage of words correctly in that it is correct to say data does not interface with data, programs interface with data?
I am an English major but...not this English.
Geek speak.

Data is simply that .. a name, latitude, longitude, type (point, line, polygon, layer ...

You won't make much sense of it without some program to help...

PS I speak Australian (and strine when pushed) .. so you need double interpertaion into 'meican.

------------------ You may use the program 'Word' to create documnents ... the documents are the data .. 'Word' is the program ... OK? You can 'merge' data files .. but teh 'merge' method would be determined by the program..

--------------- Size on disk
Garmin USB drivers 2M
Mapsource 70M

World Map v3.01 190M
Wanderlust v1.6 960M
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #20
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,973
Thanks again Frank for the help here and on Horizons Unlimited.
You are the man....
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 AM   #21
number9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Well, just an update to this thread, cause I hate leaving them hanging open ended..........

I did find that the Mygarmin webpage was asking me for a certificate # to get the "additional unlock code". So, I called Garmin's FANTASTIC customer support and explained that I had the 2720 and just got the 60cx and wanted to get an unlock code for it and they were like, "Okay, no problem......." and verified some info from me and got my 60cx device info and gave me the unlock code with NO issues whatsoever.

And I know that I didn't just get lucky with 1 good rep, cause at first I went to the marine dept and explained my case and he was like, No prob, let me put you to the outdoor (or whatever) dept...........and I ended up with the wrong dept again and explained my case and got the same response and was passed to the Mapsource dept who also said No prob and processed my request.

Now I know that my copy of CNv8 was unlockable for 2 units, and I know they have changed the rules to not allow that, so I don't know if my copy was registered before that change was why they let me through, or maybe they aren't sticking to the new rule so tight, but either way I am a happy camper - er, gps owner.

I just can't say enough about Garmin's support & customer service. They have never given my any trouble with any issue and resolved issues to make the customer happy with no arguments. You just can't get that everywhere and once again.........they have done right by me

I did check it out last night after I got the maps transfered - which took FOREVER. I can tell that I am still going to need to get hold of a copy of R&R, cause CN isn't going to do me much good offroad on the dirtbike, but I will leave it on the unit for times when I use it on my FZ1 or in the truck to find gas/food/etc.... and also route me places. That will allow me to only bring 1 gps unit, cause if I am using it no the dirtbike and hauling it somewhere, there's no use in having the 2720 on the dash of the truck too.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote