ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
McRat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Eh? Why do some M/C dealers suck more than a Dyson?

Not sure if there is General Bike forum on this site, so posted this here:

I'm in Southern California, and went CB500X shopping (could be any bike though). Note: We are 8% sales tax.

Dealer 1: Huge shop owned by a legend in motorcycling (On Any Sunday fans will know him) in Riverside: Advertised Price = $4988. Out The Door Price $7264. Then they wanted to haggle when I said "no sale". I shook hands and left.
Dealer 2: Small shop nobody has heard of in Corona: Advertised Price = $5599. Out The Door $6750. I just put a deposit down to hold it. No haggling at all. I asked what the price was, they told me, and SOLD.

I knew better than to drive to Dealer 1. I tried to buy a KTM 500EXC there a couple years ago, and they kept me there for 3 hours lubing me up to rape me. Like 30% over MSRP and they weren't going to kiss me afterwards.

Moral to the Story? Advertised pricing means nothing. Don't assume the higher advertised price is more expensive to purchase.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
randomride
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 416
Huge store means huge overhead. They have to pay for the monstrosity somehow. The only thing big stores are good for when it comes to bikes is when it is time to clear the old units out. They can afford to take a little bigger "hit" in order to get an old unit down the road.

I have sold motorcycles for a few dealers here in the midwest. Everyone of them has their own game.

2013 XTZ1200
1985 XT600 (work in progress)
randomride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,562
Nope never has...it's just a hook.

The method is to email several different dealerships and tell them:

-you are contacting several regional dealerships for pricing
-you are buying today (cash or finance) and to give you their the best OTD price. finance often yields you a better OTD price, just pay it off asap. don't trade in, just sell it on Craigslist.
-please quote your best OTD price and you will buy from them if that's the lowest OTD price and they honor that when you come to pay. You will not pay any more than the quoted price, so please don't play any games with me & waste my time!
-you will be there tomorrow to pick up the bike and pay the agreed price.

you'll find the real dealers vrs the fluff this way and don't need to waste time. this is how many do it buying a car (or use true car) and so should motorcycle buyers.

there is a reason buyers travel all over the country to buy here: http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/ and ride home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Not sure if there is General Bike forum on this site, so posted this here:

I'm in Southern California, and went CB500X shopping (could be any bike though). Note: We are 8% sales tax.

Dealer 1: Huge shop owned by a legend in motorcycling (On Any Sunday fans will know him) in Riverside: Advertised Price = $4988. Out The Door Price $7264. Then they wanted to haggle when I said "no sale". I shook hands and left.
Dealer 2: Small shop nobody has heard of in Corona: Advertised Price = $5599. Out The Door $6750. I just put a deposit down to hold it. No haggling at all. I asked what the price was, they told me, and SOLD.

I knew better than to drive to Dealer 1. I tried to buy a KTM 500EXC there a couple years ago, and they kept me there for 3 hours lubing me up to rape me. Like 30% over MSRP and they weren't going to kiss me afterwards.

Moral to the Story? Advertised pricing means nothing. Don't assume the higher advertised price is more expensive to purchase.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Dropped in here out of curiosity -- i think OP meant Hoover. I would be first to visit a dealer who sucks as Dyson.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Here out of curiosity too... Just so happens on a group ride last weekend with a bunch of guys, most of had met for the first time, the subject came up at our lunch break.
Most (self included) were 'forced' DIYers due to shops poor servicing practices, one guy on a new Tiger 800 couldn't believe a simple service left him with a leaking sump plug and loose air box WTF enthusiast shop supported by a major core business, like the shop near me, look like being the future for good service outcomes.
I will still mostly DIY, but support this guy for riding gear,tyres, technical jobs etc...
... And gives me a chance to checkout his current line up of race bikes and chat.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
McRat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Dropped in here out of curiosity -- i think OP meant Hoover. I would be first to visit a dealer who sucks as Dyson.
According to the commercials, nothing sucks more than a Dyson. Not even a Hoover!
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:10 AM   #7
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Old 02-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #8
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Dude, I almost bought a new DL650 from Mountain Motorsports in Lawrenceville GA. The woman at the door greeting customers was knowledgeable. No one else was. The clown selling me the bike kept calling it a DR650 and I corrected him about 4 times on it. We had an agreed price of 8350 OTD, but twice he ACCIDENTALLY printed out a contract for 9850 which was full MSRP. Sorry man, I'm not trying to screw you he said twice.
Parts counter... Clown takes me over there and explains that I am buying a 650 Vstrom, parts guy asks if that is an ATV or bike. Then what brand. Then he said the bike is so new they don't have any catalogues with accessories yet.

The service desk. At 11am clown brought me there and told the 2 guys there that I was buying a DL650 and to get info on service intervals and maintenance and so on. At 12pm that service guy approaches me, and knew almost nothing about the bike. He was able to tell me valve adjustments were every 14,500. Suzuki is weird they use 14.5 K instead of like 14K or 15K. Asked him about revvonended oil and he said he could research it this afternoon and call me.

Fucking losers. I walked. Decided I would be riding this bike off road and a shiny new expensive one wasn't worth it.

Won't ever walk through their doors again. Will tell fellow riders to avoid too.

06 KTM200, 08 V-Strom 650
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
skipn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
Dude, I almost bought a new DL650 from Mountain Motorsports in Lawrenceville GA. The woman at the door greeting customers was knowledgeable. No one else was. The clown selling me the bike kept calling it a DR650 and I corrected him about 4 times on it. We had an agreed price of 8350 OTD, but twice he ACCIDENTALLY printed out a contract for 9850 which was full MSRP. Sorry man, I'm not trying to screw you he said twice.
Parts counter... Clown takes me over there and explains that I am buying a 650 Vstrom, parts guy asks if that is an ATV or bike. Then what brand. Then he said the bike is so new they don't have any catalogues with accessories yet.

The service desk. At 11am clown brought me there and told the 2 guys there that I was buying a DL650 and to get info on service intervals and maintenance and so on. At 12pm that service guy approaches me, and knew almost nothing about the bike. He was able to tell me valve adjustments were every 14,500. Suzuki is weird they use 14.5 K instead of like 14K or 15K. Asked him about revvonended oil and he said he could research it this afternoon and call me.

Fucking losers. I walked. Decided I would be riding this bike off road and a shiny new expensive one wasn't worth it.

Won't ever walk through their doors again. Will tell fellow riders to avoid too.
I think their evil twin lurks at "Big's" near Mid-Rivers Mall in St. Louis, MO. Sounds like deja'vu all over again. I did buy the DL650, but never again.
skipn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
Extorris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post

I just moved to your area and I'm looking to buy next week. Are there any decent dealerships around? They all seem to be connected to the one you mentioned.
Extorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extorris View Post
I just moved to your area and I'm looking to buy next week. Are there any decent dealerships around? They all seem to be connected to the one you mentioned.
Mountain Motorsports bought up several of the dealers in the metro Atlanta area and that sucks. I use to use Freedom in Kennesaw but it's one of the ones that was snatched up by MMS. I honestly don't know of any other dealers around.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,029
I've always found that a) the best price is usually at the smallest dealer in the smallest town and b) that if you are at least an hour away or more and say that you were just passing by but were planning on buying......they view this as a "free" sale and will generally do much better than if they think they own you by territory.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Extorris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Try the below link. They will treat you like family . . . Very knowledgable. 20 minutes north of Lawrenceville
The owner is Doug . . . Tell him Tom sent you . . . First Class dealership
http://www.ngmrides.com
Damn, I'm looking to buy a Yamaha.
Extorris is offline   Reply With Quote