ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
PMac OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
DL1000 fuel pump whining a day before 4000 mile trip Go or not????

I am new to this forum, I have had my dl1000 for 8 months and put 15,000 miles on it with no issues, it currently has 68,000. I have trip planned leaving early AM Friday, 6/26 to do 1400 miles the first day to Gunnison, CO from Columbus, OH then to Lander, WY then through ND to the U.P. in Michigan then back down to Columbus, averaging around 500 miles a day. My fuel pump started whining on the way home from work today. From some quick searches I think it is the HP fuel filter. I am currently in a situation where I have no tools but the ones that came with the bike, so the external fuel mod is out of the question before the trip. I just wondering if I keep riding it will it leave me stranded or just lose top end/acceleration??? To continue with the trip or not that is the question. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
PMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Phipsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMac View Post
I am new to this forum, I have had my dl1000 for 8 months and put 15,000 miles on it with no issues, it currently has 68,000. I have trip planned leaving early AM Friday, 6/26 to do 1400 miles the first day to Gunnison, CO from Columbus, OH then to Lander, WY then through ND to the U.P. in Michigan then back down to Columbus, averaging around 500 miles a day. My fuel pump started whining on the way home from work today. From some quick searches I think it is the HP fuel filter. I am currently in a situation where I have no tools but the ones that came with the bike, so the external fuel mod is out of the question before the trip. I just wondering if I keep riding it will it leave me stranded or just lose top end/acceleration??? To continue with the trip or not that is the question. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Far from being a problem; the tour gods have smiled on you. Getting stranded in the middle of nowhere really sucks (read expensive). Been there, done that.

It's much better to fix the issue before you go. A new filter is probably a good idea and then you will know if the fuel pump is likely ok. When mine went on my Suzuki it was a real PITA. I was short of time and had to go back to work so I wound up renting a u-haul to get home.

Not an experience I would care to repeat if I can help it.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
You can check fuel flow easily so will know if it is flowing enough gas. Check on Stromtrooper if you don't know how to do it. You don't need many tools to do it and it would be a good idea to have them if you are going on a long trip.
I did the inline fuel filter at about 45,000 miles. The bike still ran but very badly and was pumping almost no gas.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
PMac OP
n00b

Update

Pulled the fuel pump out to take a look at the filter and it doesn't look dirty. I am thinking it is the pump, Going to check the flow rate and if low I am going to call it on the trip.

Thanks for the help guys..

I don't have the cash for a uhual all the way back.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
if you are already monkeying around with the pump, why not just do the filter bypass mod and fit an external filter? its pretty easy and very good instructions are out there. The parts you need can be had at pretty much any auto parts store. My DL1000 developed a blocked filter at about 70K. It still started and ran ok but would not rev over about 7K. an afternoon of tinkering and it was fine, cost maybe thirty bucks and the bike has 105k now
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #6
PMac OP
n00b

I didn't do the mod while I had it apart but I cleaned/flushed everything and put it back together. This morning she is back to her old self. I did get everything to do the mod and I will be taking it with me. Plan is still to leave Friday around 2AM.