User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #1486
scubasimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
centre stand help

hello. i have been reading about people who have varaderos for awhile now and finally got myself one. but there is a big problem...i can't get the bike onto the centre stand. having read about how the honda original stand was the easiest one to get the bike onto, i went to check what was on the bike and found that it was the honda stand. unfortunately for me, it did not work.

i searched for videos on how other people might do it. i found quite a number of videos of people putting goldwings onto centre stands and they made it look easy. i tried those techniques but it was a real hit and miss. some days i can get it onto the stand on the first try...most days though i simply fail after 3-4 attempts...and am too exhausted to make another attempt.

i know i am probably doing something wrong here...so i am hoping to learn from folks who are more successful than me on this pursuit. a few videos would definitely help together with some pointers on how you position yourself etc.

i do have trax panniers on my bike together with an xplorer top case...for a reference of weight (would that make a difference?)...

desperate for some help...any help...and thank you in advance!
scubasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #1487
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasimon View Post
hello. i have been reading about people who have varaderos for awhile now and finally got myself one. but there is a big problem...i can't get the bike onto the centre stand. having read about how the honda original stand was the easiest one to get the bike onto, i went to check what was on the bike and found that it was the honda stand. unfortunately for me, it did not work.

i searched for videos on how other people might do it. i found quite a number of videos of people putting goldwings onto centre stands and they made it look easy. i tried those techniques but it was a real hit and miss. some days i can get it onto the stand on the first try...most days though i simply fail after 3-4 attempts...and am too exhausted to make another attempt.

i know i am probably doing something wrong here...so i am hoping to learn from folks who are more successful than me on this pursuit. a few videos would definitely help together with some pointers on how you position yourself etc.

i do have trax panniers on my bike together with an xplorer top case...for a reference of weight (would that make a difference?)...

desperate for some help...any help...and thank you in advance!
OK here is my two cents worth. Yes the Honda stand is easier than any of the others I've tried but is still difficult especially if the bike is loaded, full fuel tank etc. The method I use is a little inconvenient but works every time for me. You mentioned you have the Trax bags on your bike, as do I. This is the method that always works for me. Take the left saddlebag off, standing on the left side of the bike hold the left handlebar grip with your left hand to balance the bike put your right foot onto the centre stand and lower it into position, grab the upper or lower rail of the Trax bag mount (depending on your height, arm length etc) with your right hand. Using the Trax mount rail as a handle pull up on the rail as you step all of your weight up onto the centre stand. Your arm should be straight (no bend in the elbow) as you do this and all of your body weight should be pressing down on your right foot. Essentially you are working the one against the other. This has worked for me every time so its worth a try. If you find it works for you there's probably a way to make a handle or strap to allow you to accomplish the same thing without taking the bag off.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #1488
scubasimon
Adventurer

Thanks for the tip. I have tried a similar version to this using the rear of the luggage rack with varying degrees is success though I can't tell if my hands were straight. Will give it a try tonight and report back.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #1489
rodent34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Yup thats what i have to do take off the left side bag and use the mount to help me put the bike on the center stand it's the only way i can do it.
rodent34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #1490
scubasimon
Adventurer

I finally gave this suggestion a try. Took off the side pannier and pulled on the rack. Almost succeeded but maybe I was too tired. On a separate note. The SW-Motech rack doesn't look all that strong. Would using it repeatedly as a handle for pulling the bike eventually break it?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #1491
rodent34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
I finally gave this suggestion a try. Took off the side pannier and pulled on the rack. Almost succeeded but maybe I was too tired. On a separate note. The SW-Motech rack doesn't look all that strong. Would using it repeatedly as a handle for pulling the bike eventually break it?

I have the givi rack and it seems to be holding good i do check it time to time
rodent34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #1492
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
I've been hauling on mine for years with no issues. Remember when standing on the step your arm should be straight and locked (elbow straight) you are not pulling backwards you are lifting straight up on the rack you are really using the rack to give your leg something to lever against.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #1493
scubasimon
Adventurer

Ok! Inspired to give it another try tonight. Pannier off, elbow straight and lift! Hope it works :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #1494
varamike
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Nice engine guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon MK3 View Post
This picture was taken before my DakarDero get dirty....

And after one day enduro travelling in mountain Erymanthos in Greece we had plenty results of Greek nature...

Nice footage Leon. Looks like you've had al lot off fun in the Greece mountains. I'm afraid we don't have such beautiful sites in flat Holland.
I realy like the way you have set up your bike. I Like the handguards very much. They are high on my wishlist too.
I am especialy intrested in the engine guard/skidplate on your bike. Can you tell what brand it is and where you bought it? It looks very nice and steady compared to the Honda-plate.
varamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #1495
scubasimon
Adventurer

Success!!! Though it was almost a failure ;-) Now why would just one left pannier make such a big difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #1496
scubasimon
Adventurer

Hey...thanks for the tip on keeping the elbow straight. I managed to put the bike up tonight without removing the pannier using that technique. Pannier was empty though and it is a little cramp to grab the rack with the pannier on but it worked :-) I will be a happy camper if I can repeat that tomorrow. Thanks again!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #1497
Kitimat KLR
Not such a NooB

Oddometer: 6
Re: Center Stand

Yes, as noted above, it is mostly technique, here's some more tips...

Choose flat / level ground
Take the excess weight off (ie loaded Trax boxes only take a few seconds to remove)
Ensure both centre stand feet are touching ground
Wear boots / shoes with strong soles ...all your weight goes through your foot!
When everything fails... to cheat, place a half-inch (12mm) thick piece of plywood (~4" x ~8") behind the rear wheel, roll bike onto plywood ...then its a very easy lift. If the wood is too thick then wheel may not spin and bike may also be unstable ...you may need a different thickness ...you should be able to remove the wood once the bike is up on its stand

If you haven't already, try this Varadero Forum for many, many topics - search for centre stand:

http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serv...03bf2fa0b92029
Kitimat KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #1498
Leon MK3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by varamike View Post
Nice footage Leon. Looks like you've had al lot off fun in the Greece mountains. I'm afraid we don't have such beautiful sites in flat Holland.
I realy like the way you have set up your bike. I Like the handguards very much. They are high on my wishlist too.
I am especialy intrested in the engine guard/skidplate on your bike. Can you tell what brand it is and where you bought it? It looks very nice and steady compared to the Honda-plate.

Thank you very much Varamike.

My skidplate is handmade by me.
I took the measures of his own skidplate and i turned on, in my requirements like as
Aluminium thickness 3,5 mm
holes diameter 4cm
and some extras ....

If you want the blueprint to fix it yourself tell me ....
Leon MK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #1499
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 801
Thumb

Quote:

I want them.....PM me please....!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #1500
varamike
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Selfmade skidplate

Quote:

I took the measures of his own skidplate and i turned on, in my requirements like as
Aluminium thickness 3,5 mm
holes diameter 4cm
and some extras ....

Hi Leon
I am very impressed that you made it yourself Leon. As i said, it looks very nice and steady on the bike, you did a very good job. Nice craftmanship. Although i don't know how to weld alumuminium, i would very much like to have your blueprint. Maybe i can look for someone here in Holland who can do the job for me.
varamike is offline   Reply With Quote