Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #1516
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
Does anyone know if Wing pipes from my KTM 950 will fit on a Varadero? Thanks.
Pipes most likely not. Mufflers could with some adjustments. My Rino mufflers are originally designed for a Buell. And they fit... ;)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #1517
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

15th Anniversary Varadero International Meeting, 2013, Wales UK

Hi all,

For anybody interested... Just retured (eh, currently still on the ferry from the UK to The Netherlands) from a pre-visit to Wales where the next International Crosstourer & Varadero meeting will be held.

The venue and location is really out of this World... Its simply GREAT.

Next May 2013 you really don't wanna miss this meeting. Expect registration to start soon at:
www.varadero-international.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #1518
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
my Irish Vara vs GS

I just returned to the US after picking up my new-to-me "used" Vara in Cork, riding that area for a few days, thence it was onto the Rosslare-Pembroke Dock ferry and across the UK to Portsmouth and onto ferry to LeHavre. I got the bike with Hepco & Becker side case and top case with the help of Wheatwacker on ADV. We rode two up and upon reaching Fleury-en-Biere to meet friends, we dismounted for weom goodfd French home cooking. From Fleruy, our firedns joined us two up on their H-D to ride down to Avignon. We based there with more friends for 4 days of riding and visiting the Rhone region's wineries. Before we wore out our welcome, we rode south to Roses, Spain on the Costa Brava for a week of sunny beaches and fine riding in that region. Andorra was next on our list, so we rode off on the curviest roads we could find on the Garmin. Ride the Pyrenees and Andorra for some fine scenery good roads and good food. We hop-scotched back to Paris and stoed the Honda after 3 1/2 weeks of riding.

2800 mile Comparo of 2003 Varadero vs. 2001 R1150GS? The Honda is a soft pussycat vs. the GS. Mine Vara had 58,000 miles on it when I got it and it could use some suspension upgrades: better rear shock and progressive fork springs. Still, it handled the load admirably and we never feared for our safety. The new Anakees suited the bike well. The Honda's brakes are not nearly as good as the GS, but the Honda seat is quite good and better than a stock GS seat by miles. The Honda's transmission is like a Honda engine: very smooth. The clutch and throttle were good, too. Three lousy poorly engineered exhaust gaskets had to be replaced, along with the two gaskets at the heads, while we were at Fleury (not a tough job, but annoying). I have learned they are a weak spot in the Vara. That's my biggest criticsim of the Vara. It is different than the GS and it's a very good touring bike. I wonder about the suspension in the dirt and rock, but neither was really made for the dirt. I do think the GS would be better in the dirt, even after suspension upgrades to the Honda. Oh, I had to "re-learn" about chain lube, too. Carrying lube is easy enough, but it's a dirty job.

I rode the GS today for about 110 miles and at first it was very strange in comparison (almost same mileafge as the Honda). The GS is stiff, firm, quicker to turn and more capable in the twisties - maybe it's my Wilbers shocks on the GS?. It stops so much better than the Vara it's impossible to describe. The Honda had new pads when I began the trip, and I bedded them properly, so it's not worn pads. Maybe better pads and steel brake lines would fix this? The GS engine is torquey without winding up like the Honda does, but the Honda's gear spread is excellent (maybe better). I still wonder what I'd have bought if given the chance to compare a new Vara to a new GS here in the states. Maybe we'll get the Crosstourer? In the meantime, the Vara is stored in Paris for next year and I ride the GS in N America.

Would I buy a new Vara? I think I would - it's that good. They're both good!
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #1519
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Ken,

Tnx for the excellent report on the Dero vv the GS (1150?). You wrote that the bike was fromm 2003, but... is it a fuel injection MK2 model, or a carburettor model MK1? In 2003, many 'old' pre-2003 carburettor models have been soled here in EU as '2003' model whilst the 2003 not only had fuel injection (and far better fuel economy), but also upgraded stock suspension (which, by the way, still s*ck thats why I've changed mine for Wilbers as well ;) ;even on my current 2004 ABS Mk2)

The pre-2003 MK1 models where on suspension aspect as soft as a spunch - even after a Honda modification in 2001.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #1520
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
03 with FI

My 2003 Vara has FI. It was first sold in the UK. I didn't want an earlier one with carbs. I'd have preferred a newer one with ABS, but they weren't available used within my budget when I bought this bike. Which Wilbers did you fit? Where did you get them? Do you know if the same ones will fit my bike? I'm 77kg, wife is 58kg, full bags and riding gear add approximately another 45kg. When we get to a destination, we usually empty the cases and ride with only the top case. That means a small adjustment to our 1150GS's Wilbers that takes maybe 5 minutes. When solo, it'a another setting. The Wilbers on the GS have been great and I'm considering them for the Vara. I also want to beef up the soft seat on the Vara. Any ideas on a seat or a seat rebuilder for it? I'm not a fan of gel seats.

No one in the US has anything for this bike.

Pilot -- Vara forum
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #1521
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fritz View Post
My 2003 Vara has FI. It was first sold in the UK. I didn't want an earlier one with carbs. I'd have preferred a newer one with ABS, but they weren't available used within my budget when I bought this bike. Which Wilbers did you fit? Where did you get them? Do you know if the same ones will fit my bike? I'm 77kg, wife is 58kg, full bags and riding gear add approximately another 45kg. When we get to a destination, we usually empty the cases and ride with only the top case. That means a small adjustment to our 1150GS's Wilbers that takes maybe 5 minutes. When solo, it'a another setting. The Wilbers on the GS have been great and I'm considering them for the Vara. I also want to beef up the soft seat on the Vara. Any ideas on a seat or a seat rebuilder for it? I'm not a fan of gel seats.

No one in the US has anything for this bike.

Pilot -- Vara forum
Here's the angle I think... If I understand correctly you own an after '03 FI MK2 but without ABS...? The ABS version has other (Stiffer) suspension than the non-ABS versions. BTW... from 2007, ABS wasn't an option anymore but came for standard on any Varadero. It does make a difference.

I had the suspension unit installed by my Honda agent after making numerous complains about the original unit; he offered me a very fair price with free installation which I could not decline... ;) But I'm 6,8ft x 105 kg heavy so I have a different unit than you would need... And ride only one up - the Mrs Boss rides her own Varadero... ;)

Its actually an Technoflex, but thats technically the same as Wilbers.

My Seat Job was great value for money. NO gel-seat either, but just buffering up the padding.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #1522
Phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Thumb

Mine since sunday, I'm so happy
In the past : Honda CAMINO & WALLAROO 50, Honda MT5, Honda DAX 72, Suzuki TS 50 X, Honda MTX 200 1985, Yamaha YZ 250 1990, Suzuki RM 250 1991, Kawasaki KX 125 1992, Honda CR 250 1994 2x. Greetings from Belgium - Western Europe
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #1523
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Mine since sunday, I'm so happy
Phil: Congrats with the bike. Check www.varadero-international.com as well. W'll meet during Witsun (Pinksteren) in Wales, UK for our annual Varadero International Meeting VIM. Would be interesting for you too!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #1524
Phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Thanks, I had already checked this site, but I'm already travelling with my club into Germany, France & Luxemburg all the year on sundays, once longer by holidays in Italy & Switserland and we are planning next holidays into Norge & the Alps. I doubt I'll have the time (and money ) to meet Vara people into Wales this time.
Maybe another year
In the past : Honda CAMINO & WALLAROO 50, Honda MT5, Honda DAX 72, Suzuki TS 50 X, Honda MTX 200 1985, Yamaha YZ 250 1990, Suzuki RM 250 1991, Kawasaki KX 125 1992, Honda CR 250 1994 2x. Greetings from Belgium - Western Europe
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #1525
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thanks, I had already checked this site, but I'm already travelling with my club into Germany, France & Luxemburg all the year on sundays, once longer by holidays in Italy & Switserland and we are planning next holidays into Norge & the Alps. I doubt I'll have the time (and money ) to meet Vara people into Wales this time.
Maybe another year
Well... 2014 our meeting is held in... Norge! (Norway). Come along and bring your friends.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #1526
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Blacky = gone...

After 98.700 km I've decided to trade in my thrustfull and relayable 2004 MK2 XL1000V Varadero. A Crosstourer as successor was tempting. A new Triumph Tiger Adventure as well.

But never change a winning team...

So it will be replaced by one of the last Mohicans... A brand new white Varadero in full specs L'Iseran trim!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #1527
neveragain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I've never seen it in white. I think it looks awesome. I have an 08, and although I've only sat on a Tiger and Stelvio, trying them on for size, I just never felt the urge to take any of them for a test ride. I'm still liking my Varadero and am glad to hear you are still sticking with the Varadero.
neveragain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #1528
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
New Ride

Nice looking bike. Now you can start to farkle. You guys in Europe get all the good colours.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #1529
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
After 98.700 km I've decided to trade in my thrustfull and relayable 2004 MK2 XL1000V Varadero. A Crosstourer as successor was tempting. A new Triumph Tiger Adventure as well.

But never change a winning team...

So it will be replaced by one of the last Mohicans... A brand new white Varadero in full specs L'Iseran trim!

Congrats Bernard I just picked up another Varadero too before they are gone as you said why break up a good team
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #1530
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
Congrats Bernard I just picked up another Varadero too before they are gone as you said why break up a good team
Just received the call from the motorcycle store...

Next Monday 'Black Beauty' will have its farewell-last-ride to the office, from the office to the motorcycle store where some of its accessories are going to be transferred to the White Princes.

Most of the stuff can be transplanted... The crashbars (SW Motech), the pannier rack (Hebco & Becker), the Nautilus Stebel horn incl wiring, the TomTom Rider III SatNav holder incl wiring, the Bagster tankcover (black), MRA screen, Rino exhausts (will be installed later incl K&N airfilter and Powercommander).

New orders:
- Front Fender extender from http://www.mdi-online.nl/nl/
- Rear shock mudguard ("Spritzschutz") from http://www.desertstorm-bike.de/varadero - this part is really cheap and so clever; I had it on all my previous 3 Varadero's!

Wishlist...
- MCC cruise control http://www.mccruise.com/collections/honda/products/22
I'm really keen to get the Cruise control next spring...