Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #211
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I do not have any figures as well, however I know that there are at least 2 varaderos in Edmonton sitting on the dealers' floors since last year.

I will not agree on the good opinion of this bike, but that is not the question. The question is what bike people are going to vote for in mass. The answer is for anything as long as it resembles to or is harley.

Stroms survive because of price. Beamers because of price too, but in kind of reverse way. The same with all marginal brands here: ducati, guzzi, aprilia, etc.
But for jap bikes the high price is not a selling factor, however good they are, they have to be cheap in comparison to...

Everithing is IMHO.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #212
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by teranfon
Actually, there is only one dealer in Edmonton who is a Powerhouse dealer and is allowed to sell the Varadero.
I think you may use yellow pages to check on scona honda & honda extreme.

However sophisticated your motorcycle taste is, yes, to buy anything other than the guy next door has bought, you have to have a taste for it, it is not going to influence the market.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #213
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk
I think you may use yellow pages to check on scona honda & honda extreme.

However sophisticated your motorcycle taste is, yes, to buy anything other than the guy next door has bought, you have to have a taste for it, it is not going to influence the market.
And that's my point. To make the claim that one a "jap" bike needs to be priced inexpensively to compete in the marketplace isn't a fair statement. And to say that a motorcycle such as the 'Strom is a superior product to the Varadero because it is substantially cheaper is also not correct. Both are excellent bikes with their strengths and weaknesses, and these are best left decided to the individual. And I certainly don't believe that a 1200 GS only has a perceived quality or appeal because of it's rather high purchase price, such as you alluded to.

Terry
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #214
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 475
My first 10 or 15 bikes were Honda, period. The next 35 bikes have been every Japanese manufacturer, Triumph , BMW and Harley. If Honda brought the Varadero to the US, I would consider it. My V Strom replaced my GSPD as my daily rider. The Strom was a big improvement over the GS(please no flames). The Strom has more HP, better brakes, new bike smell, and here's the improvement....much better ergo's for a 52 year old with a bad back and much friendlier sitting position for the wife(the seat Sucks)
Varadero is not superior to the V Strom. I think the Varadero is a bit better looking due to the wire wheels? If Suzuki is selling 2-3x 650's than 1000's then it's pretty obvious that the Varadero will just sit on showrooms with a $2000 cost differential to the V Strom. I know the DL1000 has been discontinued in Europe. If Suzuki doesn't replace the DL1000 then Varadero would be a viable option. If the Varadero was here 2 years ago I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

Les
Old 04-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #215
nacwing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Anybody on this board imported one to the US yet?

I'm considering buying one of these in Canada. Is there anyone out there I can talk to about how to get one of these into the states?
nacwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #216
man !!!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hi everyone.
Does anyone have made something special on his varadero (eg. off road)? Pls upload pictures!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #217
eneyman
Wannabe Ewan

Oddometer: 26
any idea when/if Honda will be bringing their adventure bikes to the US market? I am interested in something similar to the bmw 650/800GS, like the transalp, but not at bmw prices..
eneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #218
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,331
currently here in South africa, the Transalp 700 is more expensive then the 650gs twin.
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #219
Arktus
on XTzy!

Oddometer: 90
In Germany the Transalp costs less than the beemer (about 700 €, basi Versions, abs included).

Now playing: Yamaha XT 1200 Z Super Ténéré, Legendary XRV750 Africa Twin RD07
Arktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #220
stevh0
Super Retard.

They have just seen a 25% price increase!

its madness..
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #221
eneyman
Wannabe Ewan

Oddometer: 26
wow.. that sucks. Why is Honda doing this... they can easily take the market lead, there are so few choices when it comes to these adventure bikes.
eneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #222
stevh0
Super Retard.

its not just honda, same with suzuki and kawasaki,

the klr and dr650 will soon be up to the price of the transalp's old price before the increase.

a dr650 wll cost roughly 7000 usd and the transalp around 10 000usd.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #223
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Thumb Our next venture... Netherlands - South East Europe 2 Turkey - Netherlands

Hi guys,

The next few (3 weeks) we will be covering over 8.500 km on three Honda Varadero's (me on my '04 MK2 ABS, my wife Karinda on her 2000 MK1 and our friends (couple) both on one '05 MK2 ABS. All with full lugage.

Our goal: the 11th (Honda) Varadero International Meeting on the Turk West coast, near Troy (yes, the same as in the movie...)

We will be trying to write our travel report every now and then at the VIM11 topic at www.varadero-international.com but we are happy to share our starting topic here with you guys as well!

Saturday, May 16th. One day left before we set off to our first stop in the Bavarian Forest (Hotel Sonnenheugel in Sankt Englmar near Regensburg).

So many things to do... It is hard to believe that those giant mountains of clothes, things, equipment, spare parts will fit in the luggage which we will put on our two Varadero's tomorrow... We will set of around 8:15 to meet with Mense (Blacksmith) and Lidy at their place for coffee, and then set off to Germany. Leaving our house and our beloved pets (our two cats and Karinda's little rabbit) in the capable hands of my parents.

First things first. We took both Dero's to our Honda agent for a last check - and to replace the rear brake pads, just to be sure. Lucky part... Or Honda agent is just around the corner.

It was crowded with people today. Our Honda agent is also an KTM agent (every one makes mistakes... :lol: ) and today our Honda agent hosted the National KTM Roadshow. Including a large Truck, serveral Demo-KTM's and the stunning KTM X-bow sportscar.

Little bit odd... Living in the Dutch Northern Province and being confronted with a dozen KTM's with Austrian licence plates... :roll:

Re fuelled both bikes and back home Karinda managed to put the last pieces of luggage together.

In to the garden - so many work to do after having 30 millimetres of rain in one night - sorting the last papers out for our Venture and discovering that the green card with the insurance of my bike is dated...

15.30 hrs, the insurance company closes at 16.00 hrs and is 45 minutes away... Calling the office... HELP!!! Jump in the car, and returning one hour later with a new green card...

There are certain situattions which can cause gray hairs... This was one of them.

So guys; tomorrow is the big day of our departure. Weather today: Sunny, 18 degrees. Forecast for tomorrow... Rain. OK, will deal with it when we wake up.

We will keep you posted any way.
Our travel schedule looks (more or less) like this:

May 17th: Sankt Englmar, Germany (Sonnenhügel)
May 18th: Villach, Austria (Kuckler Wirt)
May 19th: Karlobag, Croatia; bed & breakfast (Belgian couple)
May 20th: Omis, Croatia (staying here at the Vila Dvor hotel two nights)
May 22th: Montenegro. Somewhere, somehow. There are still countries on this planet where people don't reply to e-mails and have disconnected telephone numbers... Montenegro would be one of them.
May 23th: Skopje, FYR of Macedonia (Vila Ani)
May 24th: Nea Iraklitsa, Greece (Iraklitsa Beach Hotel, two nights with special thanks to Sotires, founding president of Transalp Club Hellas)
May 26th: Arrival at Eden Gardens Hotel in Behram, Assos to meet up with Erkut and his team.

Our way back home?
June 1st: Meeting up with Alexandru from Bukarest after VIM, first stop in Bulgaria
June 2nd: Bucharest, Romania (2 nights with special thnx to Alexandru)
June 4th: Arad, Romania (still unknown but we trust on Alex' his expertise)
June 5th: Szilvasvarad, Hungaria (http://www.magyarroute66.hu)
June 6th: Lesná u Znojma, Czech Republic (www.veteransalon.cz)
June 7th: somewhere half way Lesná and home...
June 8th: Home sweet home?

Every where we can, we will write an update. Pictures will be difficult to upload, but you can be assured that we will give you the whole lot!

CU in Assos - and if not... Enjoy the read/write up here:
http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serverkompetenz.net/viewtopic.php?t=1046

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #224
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Budget Varadero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teranfon
And that's my point. To make the claim that one a "jap" bike needs to be priced inexpensively to compete in the marketplace isn't a fair statement. And to say that a motorcycle such as the 'Strom is a superior product to the Varadero because it is substantially cheaper is also not correct. Both are excellent bikes with their strengths and weaknesses, and these are best left decided to the individual. And I certainly don't believe that a 1200 GS only has a perceived quality or appeal because of it's rather high purchase price, such as you alluded to.
Terry
@ Terry,

Just stumbled on your postings. I agree with your postings, but hey, most of you guys won't see that as an surprise.

Btw... do you know what they call a DL1000 Vstrom here? A Budget Varadero. Not because it is cheaper to buy, but because the build quality is not even close to that of any other Jap big trail bike. Its more closer to former Sovjet-build automobiles (which would be an insult to the former Sovjets...). Only compare the plastics from a Suzuki with that of - any - Honda. Google on Trabant and you will see.

My wife rides an 2000 MK2 (the Carb version) which has currently almost 130.000 km done. It was tested in the leading Dutch motorcycle magazine Moto73 in an series where they test the - remaining - quality of bikes which have done at least 50.000 km with the same owner.

Result: if we would sell the bike at this moment, we could sell it as a bike with only 25.000 km done.

We've got a 2nd one in our club (a MK1 from 1998 - Suzuki was only dreaming of building a proper big trail) which has currently an replaced engine... But who cares after 280.000 km?

And its easy to resume with Transalps and Africa Twins with over 200.000 km with no overhauling. Whilst the first F800 BMW engines seems to have troubles before even getting close to 50.000 k...

But leave them. Like stated by you, lot of people want to judge on a bike first appearances. Leave them. I don't judge before I have had a ride and a test ride is not just up and down the street, but at least several hundered km under different conditions.

I've tested many (good!) bikes. But every time I just feel so lucky to be back in the saddle of my trusty 2004 MK2 Varadero with 60.000 k on the ODO meter.

Tomorrow we will leave for our Eastern European meeting as written in my previous posting. Yes, a Varadero can break down. Yes, the Achilles heel of the MK1 is that St* fuel pump (like on the Africa Twin) but that part isn't even a Honda but a Mitsubishi... (On our MK1 it has been replaced by an Rover fuel pump from QH Automotive).

But there is no 2nd bike which delivers me that much comfort in comparising with such a light footed road handling. Its like a Gold Wing with a dirt bike steeringbar. Quality has its price and I'm first in line when the Varadero successor will be revealed by the end of 2010.

I do thrust other peoples opinions though. And although ADV is a 'general' Forum where any Adventureaus rider finds a cosy home, just follow the 'exlusive' BMW GS / KTM / Vstrom forums and compare that with the 'exclusive' Honda Transalp / Africa Twin / Varadero forums. Complaining about Canbus, rust, burning camshafts, shortcut, burning airfilters, etc.

You know Terry... I think it is easy to explain... Honda riders don't have time to moarn about that crude, wrong World... Because we RIDE our bikes...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #225
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our Big Varadero Holland 2 Turkey Venture

Hi guys,

New addings to our 'Wblog' added today from Greece. Read up the story here:

http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serv...pic.php?t=1046

The bikes (a 2000 MK1, and two MK2's from 2004 and 2005) are performing very good, despite the often worse road conditions.

3.075 km so far and tomorrow it is off in to Asia when we pass the Bosporus in to Turkey's main land.

Grz