Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #16
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
It was at the Toronto bike show today.. looked good.. lots of plastic though.. but most riders will never take it on unpaved roads..

Honda Canada has taken a chance with this bike and I hope they succeed..
Old 12-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,671
That thing was HUGE!!
I think it will be competion for the V-Strom, but I think BMW and KTM have nothing to worry about.
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #18
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,993
I've owned two superhawks (vtr1000f)
And loved the engine (hated the fuel range on that bike but that's not the engine)

An XL1kV' would be wonderfull IF only.
A. it weighed around 150 to 200 pounds less,
right now its around 550 pounds!!
And B. was more... Well, more of a dirt bike and less of a Hummer H3
Same issues with lots of the "adventure touring" bikes.
Low engine, with no real protection, Small diameter front wheels
Massive painted ABS fairings that cost massive amounts of money to fix when you crack them.

Honda.
Why not build a light weight, dirt biased long legged big tanked small but functional windscreen.
Give the engine and it's bits (oil coolers, raditors, exhaust pipes Etc.) Some real (read not plastic) protection from spills, crashes and tip overs.

Give it a chain drive, REAL suspension like what's put on the CRF450R race bikes.
Oh yea, and please please please don't "retune the engine for more torque"

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
I've owned two superhawks (vtr1000f)
And loved the engine (hated the fuel range on that bike but that's not the engine)

An XL1kV' would be wonderfull IF only.
A. it weighed around 150 to 200 pounds less,
right now its around 550 pounds!!
And B. was more... Well, more of a dirt bike and less of a Hummer H3
Same issues with lots of the "adventure touring" bikes.
Low engine, with no real protection, Small diameter front wheels
Massive painted ABS fairings that cost massive amounts of money to fix when you crack them.

Honda.
Why not build a light weight, dirt biased long legged big tanked small but functional windscreen.
Give the engine and it's bits (oil coolers, raditors, exhaust pipes Etc.) Some real (read not plastic) protection from spills, crashes and tip overs.

Give it a chain drive, REAL suspension like what's put on the CRF450R race bikes.
Oh yea, and please please please don't "retune the engine for more torque"

Thanks!
Just crossing my mind...

A) Have you ever driven the XL1000V? Coming from a 600 Transalp, I am already working on my 3rd Varadero and covered 150.000 km (almost 100.000 miles) on the three of them. It is heavy on paper, but a GS1200 (although BMW would like to make you believe) is not that much lighter. Honda adds the FULL road weight on the brochure, BMW the dry weight.
I can assure you that it rides and handles like a Transalp 600 and gravel is just peanuts. It even handles better on dirtroads as a GS (have driven both), only the KTM is better (but more expensive, especially if something brakes down which will)
C) A Hummer H3 is very compatitive offroad although I would never buy an American car in first place...

About the plastics: You will appreciate it. There is NO 2nd big trail bike which is offering the same amount of weather protection as the Varadero does. And suspension can be changed!

I believe that you lot say 'Appearances can be deceiving'. Believe me, this goes up to the Varadero. When I saw the very first MK1 at the Munich Motorcycle exhibition in September 1998, I was just sooo disappointed (expecting to see a 1000cc Africa Twin), but 3 months after that I bought my first Varadero and I kept to it with no regrets, despite some starting problems (engine, faulty fuel pump, rust, etc). You guys are getting the best... No more starters faults! And above that... Its a Honda.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
From which Planet are you...?
The Varadero was introduced in September 1998... At that moment Suzuki only build the single DR650... So every thing after that date was a copy...
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #21
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
Nice classic, however… We are talking about modern big trail bikes here... Not antiques... Is this a serious posting? I only see a custom on the pic…

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #22
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Quote:
Nice classic, however… We are talking about modern
That was modern in 1958.

Quote:
big trail bikes here...
900cc isn't big enough?

I guess you have to ride around on the street masquerading as Ricky Carmichael to be taken seriously. Anyone riding dirt back then is merely a poser since most of the roads were dirt.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #23
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
That was modern in 1958.

900cc isn't big enough?

I guess you have to ride around on the street masquerading as Ricky Carmichael to be taken seriously. Anyone riding dirt back then is merely a poser since most of the roads were dirt.
Seriously:

It is a nice classic. But it still is a chopper/custom, despite the heritage and the front fork covers. But it is certainly NOT a big trail bike. In those days, every one was riding off-road - as mentioned by you - and in that light you could see a Czech build 350cc Jawa, a German build 350cc DKW or a old Moto Guzzi as better (= less weight and better cornering as a Harley) alternatives. Especially in those days.

What I call a classic big trail bike? Well... certainly not a single 'thumper' - that are dirt bikes which are an entirely other category. A big trail bike may not be able to get as far in the dirt as a dirt bike, but would combine comfort and long distance riding an easy piece of cake - with the manoeuvrability of a dirt bike, and the comfort of a touring bike. The only Harley which comes close to that isn't a Harley, but a Buell.

In my modest opinion there is only one bike who started the big trail bike scene, and that was the late 70-ties BMW R80GS.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 AM   #24
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 671
Quote:

In my modest opinion there is only one bike who started the big trail bike scene, and that was the late 70-ties BMW R80GS.
Waddabout a Triumph Tiger? The one they rode in the ISDT.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 AM   #25
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart
Whats ISDT?

The first Tiger (and the best...) I would call a Big Trail is the MK1 tripple 900 from the late 90-ties; which was actually one of my favorites before the introduction of the Varadero in 1998. But we are talking about the Varadero here.

If you are revering to the very first tiger (with the twin engine) from (I Guess?) the late 60-ties: Nope. I would call that one a nice example of a scrambler, but not a big trail bike.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #26
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #27
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Quote:
Whats ISDT?
The International Six Day Trial.

xlcr, that big Mal?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #28
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Quote:
The International Six Day Trial.

xlcr, that big Mal?
Dunno. I was just searching for a picture and that was all I could come up with.

I couldn't find a pic of the version that the local dealer used to ride in the desert - which was closer to a B50MX than a B50T. (No lights. Short fender. High pipes instead of that ugly-ass muffler.)
Old 12-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #29
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

I'm sure that's Malcom Smiff on a Triumph Trohpy Trail.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #30
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
From which Planet are you...?
The Varadero was introduced in September 1998... At that moment Suzuki only build the single DR650... So every thing after that date was a copy... Suzuki did not even bother to make it right!
hi two plugs ive been riding the dl 1000 and the mk 1 vara back to back now for eighteen months having done around 9000 on each bike ....

i bought them with the money from a disaterous affair with a 1200 gs .....
man that bike was so unreliable .........

first thing to say is the vara is a great touring bike and will corner respecably well except when it gets really tight ....and ridden for what its designed for its a cracking bike mines a 02 and nothing has gone wrong and it cost nothing but oil and filters to keep running .....

the strom takes a little work to get right the front tends to fell vauge on standard tyres [badwings ] and does suffer from ground clearence problems ...
raising links on the rear and fitting road attacks made a huge difference to the bike in corners and is / was much easier to change direction than the vara ...the vara is very heavy and stable but when it comes to more spirited riding the strom will come back with the stick betwen its teeth first every time .......

im afraid it is a more exiciting bike to ride engine......ehaust note .... corners ..it has more urgency and poise ... ...erganomics are nothing short of exalent ...
if you fit madstat brackets to a strom with a givi screen ....it is without doubt the most protective and quiet ride out there and i include the 12 grand electric screen jobbies
as i say it need reserch and a bit of thought the vara sceens have never come close to that of this set up and ive tried belive me .......it is important to me as i dont do holidays without my bike ...and ride all year round whatever the weather ...as i think do you ..

http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/vstrom650madstad.htm

..the stadard vara springs were binned for hypro which improved handling but sacrificed alittle ride quality the faster you go the more they make sense .....

to be honest the better bike than both of them for day to day use is the ............650 strom which i have recently bought to use for work
the sv engine is a absalute peach
i cant tell you how impressed i am with it for next to no money 5 months old its stunning value

out of the big vs the strom is easier to use in town the vara really doesnt like it at all and will protest much more at any given speed under 50 than the other two it will require one gear lower than the strom to stop it shaking itself to pieces .....having said that when its used as intended its a peach ....a little thirsty though .....
i like my vara but with the lille strom now used for comuting [57 mpg without thinking]i have to let one go ...........

im afraid its got to be the vara ....i really like it ...its like a big slobbery dog faithful and likeable but .....it aint going to see ff any burglers

when if honda get there act together i will be first in the que but like you say 1998 is a long time with just a few farkes a nd fual injection to show its showing its weight ..and its age ....but a very worthy and enjoyable bike

ive been riding big trailies now for 6 years and have to say that a 2nd hand strom ..with a little know how and minimum mods .......is the biggest bargain in the motorcylcling world

ps i know that you have been tempted by the dark side ... be patiant and wait for mr honda

the 650 strom is a very surprising bike .....please dont knock it till youve ridden one ???

minkyhead screwed with this post 12-27-2007 at 06:30 PM
minkyhead is offline   Reply With Quote