User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #31
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
not a bad bike in fairness a little qurky

total financial and relability disaster never again ...

Old 12-28-2007, 03:59 AM   #32
dutchie
Lower than most

Oddometer: 79
before we get this whole discussion again...

....the FI Varadero isnt thirsty anymore, doesn't have soft suspension anymore.

The carb Dero was written to pieces bij European journalists because of the soggy suspension and its thirst. Two things that can be remedied fairly easiliy. Still it was far better than the 11XX GS. It just wasn't sexy enough to write something about and sell the magazines.

I have a FI varadero now(bought new, 35K km now), after two 1150 GS. Love it, fast enough , comfy, stone reliable. All the things the 1150s were not. It is a very good touring bike, but you have to be a tall guy to enjoy it as it is heavy and its COG is relatively high up.

Go to a dealer, take it for a ride and find out for yourself.

Every now and then, I read through the Dutch GS-forum...and am completely stunned by all the horror stories concerning reliability. And they're not just stories, I know from experience.
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #33
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyhead
h

ps i know that you have been tempted by the dark side ... be patiant and wait for mr honda

the 650 strom is a very surprising bike .....please dont knock it till youve ridden one ???
Hmmm... Regarding your first line above... do you know anything which I don't know?

You will never hear me knockin' down on the little Vstrom 650, because... I have ridden it in the Belgian Ardennes and I was very much surprised by everything. In fact, I NEVER had the idea that I was riding a 'little' 650 - which is obvious, since the 650 shares it frame and architecture with the DL1000V.

I do not agree with you that the Dero is not/less suitable in city traffic though. I use it like the Transalp (but I have to admit that I am 100 kg heavy and 6,8 ft tall... Which helps on any big, heavy bike...).

And yes, I am also very much impressed by the new Transalp 700. And the Beemer F800? Nh, its a Beemer and they are famous for braking down despite the Long Way Around and the Long Way Down (where they had to replace the suspension and the complete frame...) And above that... that silly BMW 'Canbus' wiring system won't allow you to fit anything else as (overpriced) original BMW accessories...

PS Minkyhead... Do we know each other? Mr. Mink perhaps?

CU,

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #34
TCBronson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Varadero purchase and brought back to US

Anybody have suggestions on how to buy a 2008 Varadero in Canada and bring it back home to Arkansas?
Thanks, Tom
TCBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 AM   #35
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just to bring up this topic again...

I know from a few Americans who did the trick. Trey Hall and Tim Kelly (haven't got a clue where they are living, but Trey bought his 2nd Varadero last spring during the 9th. Varadero International Meeting in the UK to bring it with him back to the States...

You could try to contact them either through the Varadero Mailinglist or the International Varaderoforum at http://www.varadero-international.com

It is possible! Keep us posted on the progress.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #36
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Here's mine.... A 2003 year model.

I keep it in Germany. It is a great long distance touring bike that I can drag the pegs on when I flog it. It has been a great bike for rides throughout Europe.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #37
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Have seen the 2008 Varadero on the Utrecht show. It just looks great in Orange!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #38
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmo
I hope we get the chance to purchase the XL1000V here in the US...it looks like a great alternative to the KTM....BMW/GS and Triumph Tiger.
But not the Strom.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #39
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Just to bring up this topic again...

I know from a few Americans who did the trick. Trey Hall and Tim Kelly (haven't got a clue where they are living, but Trey bought his 2nd Varadero last spring during the 9th. Varadero International Meeting in the UK to bring it with him back to the States...

You could try to contact them either through the Varadero Mailinglist or the International Varaderoforum at http://www.varadero-international.com

It is possible! Keep us posted on the progress.
The last time I talked with Trey, he had gotten the Vara to the states, and registered in Tennessee. It took about two months of shipping and customs. Before he got the bike home. I interviewed him for my web site. Here's the post and conversation: http://www.sojournchronicles.com/200...aradero-owner/

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #40
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,281
Quote:
...About the plastics: You will appreciate it. There is NO 2nd big trail bike which is offering the same amount of weather protection as the Varadero does. And suspension can be changed! ...
... Its a Honda.

Never saw a CapoNord, eh?

Pretty much everything you say about the Varadero describes the Capo; but the Capo is better looking And available in the states. And pretty much as well built and reliable as a Honda (and I'm a big Honda fan in these regards). Dealer coverage is another issue of course, but fortunately the bike's reliability doesn't usually make that important.

Like the big V, the biggest complaint with the Capo is the size/weight when the going gets rough and tough.
Attached Images

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #41
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:

And the Beemer F800? Nh, its a Beemer and they are famous for braking down despite the Long Way Around and the Long Way Down (where they had to replace the suspension and the complete frame...) And above that... that silly BMW 'Canbus' wiring system won't allow you to fit anything else as (overpriced) original BMW accessories...

CU,

Hooking up two wires to a fuse block and you can wire up all the silly electrical do-dads you want to.

Braking? I think you mean "breaking".

I consider your postings to be dross.

Rick
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #42
crocapo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Vara is a great bike.It's amazing bike for trips.But it's too deam heavy.I did think about buy it.But in Croatia is problem that you can't buy it with ABS.It is very big bike,to big if you would like to drive it in town. My friend have Vara and it is about 65000 km on it.He is very saticfide with Vara
crocapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #43
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West

Hooking up two wires to a fuse block and you can wire up all the silly electrical do-dads you want to.

Braking? I think you mean "breaking".

I consider your postings to be dross.

Rick
You welcome, and thank you for beng so polite!
Be welcome to reply in Dutch as bad as my English is next time, deal?

Hooking up wires on CANBUS can give you mallfunctions from the processor of the CANBUS system; OK, you could 'detour' the CANBUS system but that is no guaranty for not ending up with an killed electric system.

And to give you some more droppings...

50.000 km on a Beemer ST800, and the engine was totaly warn out. Source: www.motoplus.nl (by www.motorrad.de)

@ Crocapo: enjoy the bike! Joining in at the 10. Varadero International Meeting on May 9th this year? It will be held near Lake Balaton in Hungary: www.vim10.com

We own a 2004 MK2 ABS Varadero with 50.000 on the counter and a 2000 MK1 with 120.000 km. Both are still as new.

@ WPBarlow: I do like the Aprillia, the 'biggest' plus are the spoked tubeless tyres. I wish they where available for the Varadero, and I wish I could fit on the Capo with my 6,8 ft but I can't...

@ DBbrent... Tnx for sharing the link. I do like Trey, he is a very pleasant guy to chat with. I've met him for real at last years VIM meeting in Northern Ireland and hopeful he will be able to visit this years event again.

Two Plugs screwed with this post 02-10-2008 at 04:12 PM
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #44
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
OK, you could 'detour' the CANBUS system but that is no guaranty for not ending up with an killed electric system.

How does wiring a fuse block directly from the battery risk killing the CANBUS electrical system? It is completely independent. You obviously do not know anything about the system, yet choose to state negative information to support your biased position.

Rick
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #45
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,518
Anyone heard anymore about a possible new Varadero for '09? Shaft drive maybe?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote