Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #721
kidhornet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by longuito
Skid plate is the sump protector, which covers the lower part of the engine from rocks and other debris. Regards,
here in Portugal we call it diferently...

Thanks
kidhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #722
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhornet
here in Portugal we call it diferently...

Thanks
It's called an skidplate, Batchplate, carter protection plate, etc.

The best thing I found was from www.desertstorm-bike.de

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #723
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Those bash plates look good but what is the price in Euros or USD? My dutch isn't so good EH!

JimmieA
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #724
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Well I'm 3200 Km into my cross Canada tour. I took an extra day at the start and went around Gaspe Quebec. What a pretty ride, well worth it, a must see really. I took quite a few pictures and will post them somewhere where you can see them. I basically never found anyone that could talk English during my 3 days in Quebec except one gas jocky. Nice time, three days in Quebec but a little lacking in communication. They really have no interest in talking English to visitors.

So far in about 1000 Km in Ontario I have run into 9 police. At least Ontario has gas money for the cops because they are everywhere. I'm seeing a cop an hour basically, some hiding. I remember seeing one cop in three days in Quebec, none in NB.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the Varadero. The speed limits are such in northern Que. and Ont. that you really should stay in 5th gear. Pushing the limits you can try to cruse at 105 Km/Hr. that puts you less than 3500 RPM and the motor is not happy in 6th at all. I'm getting good mileage, around 50 MPG Imperial gallon, I have no problem going 400 Km and add about 17-19 litres at that point. I think I could make 450 or more KM/tank. I have added a Vista Cruiser troddle lock and it is working great, gets my hand off the trottle for a bit and I need that. Just missed a small moose tonight, just saw it comming out of the ditch right in front of me. I never ride at dusk but I put my self into that position tonight. I have the bike fairly well loaded, I'd guess 40 # in one saddle bag, maybe 30 in the other and two duffle bags with tent and sleeping bag/clothes. All told maybe 200# or less. Bike takes it well, as well as the BMW did. It sure has enough power to handle the load. Loaded the bike can still sit on the side stand so that is good! My impression, remember the bike has just 5,000 Km on it, is that this bike is as good as the BMW R1150GSA and costs a lot less. I have no complaints with the seat if anyone cares to hear that.

So long story short, this bike is a great long distance cruiser.

JimmieA,
just east of International Falls USA
Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #725
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Sounds like you're having a great trip
STRANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #726
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
Those bash plates look good but what is the price in Euros or USD? My dutch isn't so good EH!

JimmieA
Eh... That website is in GERMAN... You silly yank!
I'm Dutch...
Thats something different than beďng Deutsch...

Prices are mentioned in Euro's, but I will offer you a free translation...

3-teiliger Motorschutz aus 3mm-Aluminiumblech:

This engine protection comes in 3 separate parts, and is build from 3mm solid aluminum plating;

sämtliche Anbauteile aus Edelstahl,
wahlweise in Alu natur für 539,- € incl. MwSt. silber-eloxiert für 639,- € incl. MwSt., schwarz-eloxiert für 689,- € incl. MwSt. (besserer Korrosionsschutz) oder Alu poliert für 699,- € incl. MwSt. oder auch im Carbon-Look für 739,- € incl. MwSt.
:

Including necessary stainless steel parts for mountings; choose from aluminum natural for € 539,- incl VAT, silver coated (improved corrosion protection) for € 689,- incl. VAT, polished aluminum for € 699,- incl. VAT, or in Carbon-look (NB: great on a black Dero!) for € 739,- incl. VAT.

You are welcome!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #727
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
that is almost $1000 aus nice plate but
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #728
Arktus
on XTzy!

Oddometer: 90
Several people converted the skidplates from Africa Twins (750). Maybe because of those prices.

Here are some pictures of nice accessoires too:
http://www.varadero.cz/uvod/kral/kral.html

Greetz

Arktus

Now playing: Yamaha XT 1200 Z Super Ténéré, Legendary XRV750 Africa Twin RD07

Arktus screwed with this post 05-30-2010 at 09:33 PM
Arktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #729
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktus
Several people converted the skidplates from Africa Twins (750). Maybe because of those prices.

Here are some pictures of nice accessoires too:
http://www.varadero.cz/uvod/kral/kral.html

Greetz

Arktus
Sharp ride. We need more choices for aftermarket in Canada though. That skid plate is nice but the price is waaaay to much.
STRANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #730
Arktus
on XTzy!

I think there will be not very much support, because honda will introduce the V4 Vardero this fall. Surely with the brand new dual clutch transmission as an option, as seen in the new vfr 1200.

Greetz

Arktus

Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 AM   #731
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
Well I'm 3200 Km into my cross Canada tour...........

JimmieA,
just east of International Falls USA

Glad to hear you're enjoying your trip. I hope to do a dash to Ontario and back later this summer. Let me know if you plan to come through Canmore.

Phil
Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #732
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktus
I think there will be not very much support, because honda will introduce the V4 Vardero this fall. Surely with the brand new dual clutch transmission as an option, as seen in the new vfr 1200.

Greetz

Arktus
Nope. Got some inside information.

The introduction of the new Honda traillie (it is a complete new bike - the Varadero will end here and the V4 won't be an Varadero successor) is (again) postponed with 1 - 1,5 years.

Simply because (just guessing now) it can't keep up with the latest competition: the Yamaha Super Tenere, the Duc Multistrada and the new overhauled BMW R1200GSA with HP2 related engine.

It unfortunately seems that the bike is dated already dated before its first introduction... Well done, Honda.

That's the way to keep your customers happy.

It won't be called Varadero either. Most likely it will be called 'Africa Four', XLV1200 or VFR1200X.

The T version (ST replacement) will be introduced first - that one is scheduled this fall on either the Cologne Intermot exhibition early October or the Milano International Motorcycle exhibition in November.

At several Varadero International Meetings (VIM) we had really interesting chats with the guys from Honda. Even with the creator of the original MK1 Varadero which was introduced in 1998.

They seemed eager to learn what we, as Varadero owners, would appreciate in a Varadero successor.

Looking at the facts and the rather disappointing test ride I had on the new VFR1200, I'm still hopeful that Honda will give us back what we, as customers, wanted: A new Africa Twin big trail. But I'm affraid that Honda - again - doesn't care what its (loyal) customers and local distributors are wishing for: Japan rules and they frankly don't care.

It most likely will be an overweight, overpriced goldwing with extra ground clearance.

Honda, PLEASE proof that I'm mistaking and totally WRONG...

Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #733
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Well I'm about 4400 Km into my cross Canada trip. I had a flat tire on the origional trail wing. Looks like a sharp object went through the tire. The bike was towed to the Honda dealer in Hudson Bay, Sask just at closing time so no time to remove the tire and he has no spare tire. I think I went at least a mile on the tire with no air in it. I got a couple wiggles out of the ass end of it and rode it to a stop no drama. The one side was off the bead but the rim is not damaged and the tire looks OK.

In the process of towing it to the dealer one of the el-cheapo tie down straps broke and luckly the bike didn't fall off the trailer at 60 MPH. Than at the dealer the tow truck guy unhooked the side stand strap before the other side strap and the bike fell over on the trailer. Thank God for the crash bars as I couldn't see any damage. I also dropped it yesterday basically the wind blew it over and a couple little scrapes but the crash bars did their job, the panner got a little dent but no plastic drama.

Bike is super and having a good trip except for the above adventures. I had tire patching stuff but gave it away with the old bike. With the bead broken on the rim it would take a lot to set that bead and I have no centre stand as of yet, it is on order, so tow was the best bet. I have promissed myself to invest in some tire fixing stuff soon! This is my first away from home tire drama in aout 50,000 Km so time to step up to that plate I guess.

JimmieA.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #734
Arktus
on XTzy!

Good luck for the rest of your trip, jimmie. Keep us informed.(hoping for some pics)

Maybe a good possibility to change to other tyres. I never liked the Trailwings.

Greetz

Arktus

Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #735
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

12th Varadero International Meeting 2010: the best yet!

Hi All,

The 12th Varadero International Meeting in Zams, Austria, was a GRAND success. We even welcomed 2 participants from... Canada! Trevis and Warren, hope you guys enjoyed it just the way we did.

We are currently working on an exclusive DVD of the meeting (more info's will follow through the Varadero Int. Forum or www.vim12.com) and we even got on TV!

You can review it on the Internet; the language however is in German:
www.landeck.tv select 'bikertreffen hotel Jagerhof' in the left menu.

Many pictures...:

VIM12 ALPINE 1 - Kauntertall

VIM12 ALPINE 2 - Arrivals

VIM12 ALPINE 3 - Hantenjoch

VIM12 ALPINE 4 - Saturdayevening

VIM12 ALPINE 5 - Skiing

VIM12 ALPINE 6 - Saturdaytours

VIM12 ALPINE 7 - Sundayevening