Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #751
davidgibson999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
MRA Varioscreen works very well. You can even order the MRA adjustable spoiler besides the full screen to mount it on the original Varadero screen:

www.mra.de

English:
http://www.mrashop.de/mrashop/cmsAct...64EBE285F3EB95

Ask for Mr. Klement; he speaks English very well. He can help you out, finding the import chanels or maybe it is even possible to order it straight from the factory.
I'll second this - the MRA works great for me and the local honda dealer has it fitted to their demo bike too...
davidgibson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #752
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Canadian Impression of VIM12

My riding buddy Trevor and I were fortunate enough to attend VIM 12 in Zams Austria this year and I though I'd share my Canadian perspective on this wonderful event. Having heard so many stories about how great the riding is in Europe we went with high expectations and were not dissappointed. Not only were the roads among the best I'd ever ridden but it was such a refreshing change to be in a place where people not only accept motorcycling but actively encourage it. This was evident everywhere we went from special parking for motorcycles to signs that encouraged motorcyclists to stop at restaurants and hotels to motorists who pull out of the way to allow motorcycles to lane split. What a difference! But back to the roads, not only were they incredibly twisty but they had perfect pavement, reasonable speed limits, good drivers with good driving habits not to mention stunning scenery and some interesting thing or another that got your attention it seemed like every kilometer. Another cool thing is that in a trip that would only take me across half of my home province of Ontario here in Canada you can visit five different countries with five different languages, five different cultures and five different types of cuisine. I summed it up this way when I was explaining to people back in Canada upon my return. Its like you were born in a zoo. It was a nice zoo and its all you've ever known so you thought you had it pretty good, but now youve been exposed to your natural environment and suddenly you realize what you've been missing and now that your back in the zoo you feel caged.
Now a word about the event itself. Again what a wonderful experience. The Varadero is fairly new to Canada and as such there is limited awareness of just how good a bike it is. Of course this is not a surprise to people regularly on this site or people who have actually tried one but hard core Varadero fans are still relatively few in number here in Canada. Not so in Zams everyone there was well aware, so much so that it was just a given and didn't neeed to be discussed. This common "bond" naturally created a fun, relaxed atmosphere that just added to the incredible riding. The event was very well organized and the organizers didn't seem to miss a single detail. A special thanks to Bernard and his lovely wife (you have to see her car) who made us feel welcome and really looked after us while we were there. Of course I should also say a big thank you to Honda Germany who lent us a Varadero and a Transalp to ride to the event. All in all I wouldnt have changed a thing it couldn't have been better. Now I have to start planning for the next one. My advice to any Canadian thinking of going to Europe to ride is don't put it off as long as I have, it is certainly worth the effort/cost. In fact I've already started investigating how to cost effectively ship a few bikes over to Europe for next year there's going to be this bike shipping container left over after the Honda Peru trip this summer after all.
africa twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #753
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,738
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin
My riding buddy Trevor and I were fortunate enough to attend VIM 12 in Zams Austria this year and I though I'd share my Canadian perspective on this wonderful event.........
How about sharing some pics and doing a little ride report?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #754
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Yes more please.
STRANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #755
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
VIM 12 Ride report

I will put one together over the weekend but here is a teaser
Attached Images

africa twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #756
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
That's some sexy road.
STRANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #757
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
It's not the pavement in Europe but the logging roads of central Newfoundland. I took a little ride with a few good friends last weekend around Red Indian Lake. Total km's for the day was 560. Over 300 km's was gravel.

Lot's of dust, warm temps and too many black flies when we would stop for a break.

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #758
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Well the beast is going to the TLH or Trans Labrador Highway and the new extension. This is somewhere around 1000 KM of gravel road some of the road is still being built basically. I hear there is a lot of construction which means graders. The graders make the road really like marbles. I'm not really crazy about gravel roads but I have done some gravel before. There is one section of almost 400 Km between gas stops. This is a tread about the area:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193741 There are also some ride reports in the trip section I'd think.

I have bought a set of TKC80s to be installed. It is about 6-8 hours by road from my house to Bay Comeau, Quebec. I have to take a 2.5 hour ferry to get to Bay Comeau from the south shore of the Saint Lawrence River.

I leave June 30 and will arrive at Bay Comeau around 8:00 Pm that night. I have the ferry to Nova Scotia booked July 9th at 1:30 Am. My wifes whole immediate family live in NFLD so this is sorta a family visit deal I guess.

Wish me luck LOL!

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #759
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
I hear there is a lot of construction which means graders. The graders make the road really like marbles.
JimmieA.
The graders are out every year on the TLH for sure just trying to maintain that puppy. The worst part is that new section from Goose Bay to Cartwright which is about 400 km.

There is a local site here in Newfoundland and Labrador that has a wealth of knowledge regarding the Trans Lab.

The address is www.ridetherock.com

If you get anywhere Gander drop by for a coffee

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #760
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin
My riding buddy Trevor and I were fortunate enough to attend VIM 12 in Zams Austria this year and I though I'd share my Canadian perspective on this wonderful event. Having heard so many stories about how great the riding is in Europe we went with high expectations and were not dissappointed. Not only were the roads among the best I'd ever ridden but it was such a refreshing change to be in a place where people not only accept motorcycling but actively encourage it. This was evident everywhere we went from special parking for motorcycles to signs that encouraged motorcyclists to stop at restaurants and hotels to motorists who pull out of the way to allow motorcycles to lane split. What a difference! But back to the roads, not only were they incredibly twisty but they had perfect pavement, reasonable speed limits, good drivers with good driving habits not to mention stunning scenery and some interesting thing or another that got your attention it seemed like every kilometer. Another cool thing is that in a trip that would only take me across half of my home province of Ontario here in Canada you can visit five different countries with five different languages, five different cultures and five different types of cuisine. I summed it up this way when I was explaining to people back in Canada upon my return. Its like you were born in a zoo. It was a nice zoo and its all you've ever known so you thought you had it pretty good, but now youve been exposed to your natural environment and suddenly you realize what you've been missing and now that your back in the zoo you feel caged.
Now a word about the event itself. Again what a wonderful experience. The Varadero is fairly new to Canada and as such there is limited awareness of just how good a bike it is. Of course this is not a surprise to people regularly on this site or people who have actually tried one but hard core Varadero fans are still relatively few in number here in Canada. Not so in Zams everyone there was well aware, so much so that it was just a given and didn't neeed to be discussed. This common "bond" naturally created a fun, relaxed atmosphere that just added to the incredible riding. The event was very well organized and the organizers didn't seem to miss a single detail. A special thanks to Bernard and his lovely wife (you have to see her car) who made us feel welcome and really looked after us while we were there. Of course I should also say a big thank you to Honda Germany who lent us a Varadero and a Transalp to ride to the event. All in all I wouldnt have changed a thing it couldn't have been better. Now I have to start planning for the next one. My advice to any Canadian thinking of going to Europe to ride is don't put it off as long as I have, it is certainly worth the effort/cost. In fact I've already started investigating how to cost effectively ship a few bikes over to Europe for next year there's going to be this bike shipping container left over after the Honda Peru trip this summer after all.

Thanks for the report. It sounds as if it was a wonderful time. I've never ridden in Europe, but driving there has always been a great experience.

Terry
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #761
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO1MX
It's not the pavement in Europe but the logging roads of central Newfoundland. I took a little ride with a few good friends last weekend around Red Indian Lake. Total km's for the day was 560. Over 300 km's was gravel.

Lot's of dust, warm temps and too many black flies when we would stop for a break.

Cool pic. This is where my Varadero feels most at home as well, traveling rough roads with lots of potholes and rough patches.

Terry
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #762
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
@ Warren... You are welcome, the pleasure was all ours!

CU guys all next year in Slovakia. Be suprised! We will be heading to Slovakia after the Intermot Int. Motorcycle Exhibition early October to do a pre-visit to next years VIM location. Like Warren has written... Take your chance and join forces for a meet & greet here in EU! We will give you all a warm welcome.

@ All... There is still one day left to order your exclusive VIM12 DVD. Visit www.vim12.com for details; the 'orderbook' will be closed tommorow, Monday, at 24hrs CET.

Pictures... Many. To many.
Visit www.varadero-international.com and select VIM12 under 'Varadero International Meetings'.

Link: http://varaderoforumcom.h826747.serv...pic.php?t=1598

Enjoy!

Some teasers:

And Karinda (my wife) her little Nuova Fiat 500 in Ladybug-trim...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!

Two Plugs screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 11:06 PM
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #763
NADREBO
n00b

Oddometer: 9
HONDA AFRICA TWIN 1200 2011
NADREBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 AM   #764
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
i wish i had a dollar for every time i have seen that pic
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #765
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,450
What a great bike! I know it probably costs a fortune in Europe, but in the States, we still can't even buy the bike. Can't have the Dero or the TA either. I guess American Honda just feels we aren't evolved enough for such beauty, or they're just cheap.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote