Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #766
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Well I installed the TKC80s on the beast. I have always relied on the chain slack adjustment gauge on the bikes I have owned. This time I decided to check it against an engine bolt side to side. I was out of align by around 1/2". Looking at the front tire/rear tire this proved true. Had to use a 4' caliper I have to check the out of true condition. Now I have the chain too tight so have to start again $%^&*.

Installed the SWMotech centre stand as well. Typical German instructions, or lack of instructions to be more percise. I have had to work with a bunch of European gear at my job before I retired and the instructions are always the same and always the pits. Just about ripped off a finger a couple times getting the big springs on the stand but the instructions were correct, use a big screwdriver.

Used my http://www.marcparnes.com/ wheel balancer. Works good I guess. Takes a lot of time and you never know for sure it seems but gives you a touchy feelie feeling anyway.

The TKC80's fit good on the bike.

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #767
Lomig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by haithabu
Thank you, Two Plugs.

Here's another one: Can you recommend a good windshield for the Varadero that reduces buffeting around the head area? My stock windshield is currently in the highest setting and still not doing the job. What about the Touratech screen?
Haithabu - I second the MRA. I'm 6'5", it doesn't stop the wind from hitting the top of my helmet (dammit!), but it lessens the buffetting considerably!
Lomig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #768
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomig
Haithabu - I second the MRA. I'm 6'5", it doesn't stop the wind from hitting the top of my helmet (dammit!), but it lessens the buffetting considerably!
Thank you for the ideas. I've got a laminar lip as a cheaper alternative to try first. Will let you know that works.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #769
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
Well I installed the TKC80s on the beast. I have always relied on the chain slack adjustment gauge on the bikes I have owned. This time I decided to check it against an engine bolt side to side. I was out of align by around 1/2". Looking at the front tire/rear tire this proved true. Had to use a 4' caliper I have to check the out of true condition. Now I have the chain too tight so have to start again $%^&*.

Installed the SWMotech centre stand as well. Typical German instructions, or lack of instructions to be more percise. I have had to work with a bunch of European gear at my job before I retired and the instructions are always the same and always the pits. Just about ripped off a finger a couple times getting the big springs on the stand but the instructions were correct, use a big screwdriver.

Used my http://www.marcparnes.com/ wheel balancer. Works good I guess. Takes a lot of time and you never know for sure it seems but gives you a touchy feelie feeling anyway.

The TKC80's fit good on the bike.

JimmieA.
i have done a couple of thousand kms on the 80s now and love them but they do get the heart beating in realy tight twisties
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #770
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Well I have made the Trans Labrador Highway trip with no drama. I am now in Lanse au Loup for the night and head for the island tomorrow 8:00.

The big Honda can do a 1500 Km gravel road with no troubles. I had TKC80 tires and these were great but I have 8 small cuts in the smooth part of the belts now. At 2200 Km the tires are at least half worn out. The Honda was basically in cruise mode in the gravel. The only issues was newly laid down 6 inch thick gravel in the 1.2 to 2 inch size. Vary scary stuff. I had maybe 20 Km of this shyte. Not biker friendly at all.

Now that the Honda is broken in I find myself down in the 2500 RPM and don`t even notice it. The motor just pulls like I was at a higher RPM. Burnt basically no oil on this trip, using Amsoil 10-40.

The big Honda can handle gravel no problem at all.
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #771
kidhornet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
This was my last trip in Portugal... i went to Penamacor, near Castelo Branco, to particape in a event called WTC ( Way Trail Challenge).

Here are some photo of the place and from the event

My teammates

kidhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #772
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Greetings from downunder

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. Just bought myself a varadero two weeks ago, already put 1500km on it

Been fun looking through this thread.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #773
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. Just bought myself a varadero two weeks ago, already put 1500km on it

Been fun looking through this thread.
Hi Mr Kiwi! Are you the fruit, the nationality or the bird?

Welcome here... Feel free to join the Int Varadero Forum on http://www.varadero-international.com as well (just in the rare case you haven't done that already...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #774
Strey1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Too many Varadero's...

Greetings all... I have two Varaderos... I live in Middle Tennessee in the USA. I was thinking about selling my 99 XL1000 and didn't know if this might be a good place to list it. It was originally from Austria and is in Kilometers. Very good shape (not a single scratch anywhere) with improved shocks (progressive springs in front and new in rear), fairly new chain and sprockets. I really haven't ridden it in almost 2 years now other than around the block. I hate to see it just sit. I've been riding my 2005 Varadero.

Still looks great... But don't know how to upload a pic... (Any help on that one?) let me know if anyone might be interested...

Drop me a note if you like more details...

Trey

Depending on the response, I was thinking about $4500

Strey1100 screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 03:12 PM
Strey1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #775
NORTH RIDER
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
it will sell fast

post that bike in the flea market .it will be gone in seconds ,if you have a proper title and are really asking 4500.00 us.

north rider
NORTH RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #776
Strey1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER
post that bike in the flea market .it will be gone in seconds ,if you have a proper title and are really asking 4500.00 us.

north rider
OK... Flea market...

It's been titled in Tennessee for years now. Very legal and lots of fun... My other is titled in Tennessee also...

How do I post a pic?
Strey1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #777
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Gander Loop

A few pictures from a trip I took a few weeks ago. Two great reasons to get out and ride...a Black 2008 Varadero and a Yellow 2009

These pictures were taken on the North East coast of Newfoundland one sunny warm Sunday afternoon.

On the wharf in Cape Freels

In Deadmans Bay

In Musgrave Town

Finally in Greenspond, Bonavista Bay

One more with the panniers and top box ready to go...

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #778
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Nice pictures. You guys should invest in crash bars ASAP. Mine has fallen over 3 times, parking lot spills. One spill does a hell of a lot of damage. Crash bars cost about $250 from Twisted Trottle.
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 07-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #779
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

What make are those panniers?

Dan VO1MX - nice boxes, what make are those?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #780
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Hi Mr Kiwi! Are you the fruit, the nationality or the bird?

Welcome here... Feel free to join the Int Varadero Forum on http://www.varadero-international.com as well (just in the rare case you haven't done that already...
I tried but couldn't read correctly those pesky little letters and numbers, there is always one or two I can't see! So couldn't complete the registration.. But have tried again and now I'm in, YAY. As to your question this kiwi flies...

MrKiwi screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 09:29 PM
MrKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote