Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #781
Claustrophobic64
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Eh? Windsheild stuff

Gentlemen.....

Just registered and need some guidance........What would be the first 3 most important things I should be doing as a new ADVrider member......and Varadero owner.....

First question........I have read alot about the aftermarket windsheilds for the Dero....with mixed reviews......I am thinking of cutting the stock windshield down a few centimeters instead of going longer........let the turbulent wind hit me in the chest area instead of the head .......I have found a glass place that said they have done it many times.....

Tell me if this Noob needs to rethink this idea....

Claustrophobic64 screwed with this post 07-24-2010 at 09:26 AM
Claustrophobic64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #782
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Before you cut the windsheild you can lower or raise it, mine came in the lower position. You could try sitting on something to raise your butt the 4 inches to see if you like the lower windsheild idea. I have found that speed makes a difference with the turbulance noise problems. I think that above 120 Km for me the bike is better but side winds have a big impact. I am tall, 6'4" and have a long upper body. MRA Varip screen is a good option to give you a higher screen or a Laminar Lip.

In terms of additions that I think you should add: the crash bars are high on the list just because plastic damage is expensive and easly damaged in a simple spill. Best $200 bucks I ever spent on the bike. I like aluminum panniers on a bike and the Varadero is a good candidate for it but they cost over $1000. I like to have a bigger back rack but no top case. A centre stand is awful handy to have. The stock tires are not great but OK to just wear them out, they go fast.

Enjoy the hell out of the Honda, it is a great bike.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #783
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
Before you cut the windsheild you can lower or raise it, mine came in the lower position. You could try sitting on something to raise your butt the 4 inches to see if you like the lower windsheild idea. I have found that speed makes a difference with the turbulance noise problems. I think that above 120 Km for me the bike is better but side winds have a big impact. I am tall, 6'4" and have a long upper body. MRA Varip screen is a good option to give you a higher screen or a Laminar Lip.

In terms of additions that I think you should add: the crash bars are high on the list just because plastic damage is expensive and easly damaged in a simple spill. Best $200 bucks I ever spent on the bike. I like aluminum panniers on a bike and the Varadero is a good candidate for it but they cost over $1000. I like to have a bigger back rack but no top case. A centre stand is awful handy to have. The stock tires are not great but OK to just wear them out, they go fast.

Enjoy the hell out of the Honda, it is a great bike.
Thanks, I know I didn't ask the questions but I'm also a new varadero owner and you reply is useful. I've taken the time to read a lot of this thread as well. I have the trial wing tyres on my bike I find them good on tar seal. If there are better then this is one good handling bike
Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #784
Claustrophobic64
Adventurer

Windy windy

Thanks for the reply JimmieA!

I can't seem to get the brunt of the over the windshield wind away from my noggin. Low setting hits me in the chin nose area and the high setting hits me in the forehead and really vibrates the helmet.......What a baby eh?

My KLR used to throw the wind pretty much into my upper chest.....so my head always had clean air....I think that would be desirable over the head vibes. I got to realize too that my KLR never got over 120 km/h too many times either!!! Well maybe some times with the wind pushing me....

My plan is to take the windshield right off and try that......then if I like it I will cut it down to just above the dash board.........Hope it doesn't look too bad after....

i will post the results.......
Old 07-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #785
Claustrophobic64
Adventurer

No Windsheild is good

Tried without ......really feel it in the chest above 130 km/h (but I should feel it shouldn't I?).....but my helmet is alot quieter then with the windsheild on....just the normal movin down the hiway wind noise........... Soooooo for now I might cut her down to an inch above the dash....it doesn't really mess with the looks too much anyhoo.....Will post when the deed is done....and really if it turns out to bother me an extra tall Givi screen is only about $100 bucks....
Old 07-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #786
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,221
New to your forum, and if its been posted before- sorry, but I can't be bothered to read through all the pages

Has anybody ever mounted these panniers on a Varadero:

http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cat...roducts_id=764

I'd be interested in seeing what they look like (if anybody has some pictures). I am in process of buying my Varadero and I can't decide on which panniers to get. I know the Zega and H&B is tried and trusted and they are my 1st choice, but I don't think they compliment the clean lines of the bike. I will basically only use the bike for long-distance bitumen (and some gravel) work and not for off-road- that's what the @'s for . And I don't like the plastic road-bike type panniers. Gobi is an option, but these TraX...

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #787
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Those bags are the same ones pictures 6 up but they are silver instead of black.
STRANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #788
Squily
Squily

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANA
Those bags are the same ones pictures 6 up but they are silver instead of black.
Yep, and they look OK, but I was wondering about the black, as I also ordered a black one like in the picture

Squily
Old 07-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #789
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
I have the above panniers. Mine both leak and it is partly because I dropped the bike in the parking lot at zero speed. The right one had a small dent near the bottom after the drop which I have mostly beat out. Bascally the problem with these bags is that the bottom is made of 4 plastic corners not solid metal Also there are pop rivit joints as well. The S W Motech brackets are a little loose as well. Now I have to say these bags are cheaper than say Tourtech by about half so this is a consideration. On the Varadero with the S W Motech brackets and the 45 litre bags the bike is real wide. I tried to get the 37 litre bags at the time without success.

Not the best bags out there and I expect that the bags will leak at some point in their lifetime. The brackets (latchs) can come loose and this will wear the 4 holes out fast. My latches are rusting as well.

Here are a few pictures of the bags on a recent trip t Labrador.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/stillrn/Labrador2010#

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #790
VO1MX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANA
Thats the ones.

VO1MX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #791
Squily
Squily

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
Not the best bags out there and I expect that the bags will leak at some point in their lifetime. The brackets (latchs) can come loose and this will wear the 4 holes out fast. My latches are rusting as well.

Here are a few pictures of the bags on a recent trip t Labrador.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/stillrn/Labrador2010#

JimmieA.
Thanks JimmieA

Appreciate the pics and description. As the panniers are cheaper than original honda ones as well (and I'm assuming would be about the same strength), it might not be a bad buy for road travel. I've ordered the 45l ones- not sure if they'll be too big, but will have to chance it. I had BMW GS panniers before and they werre also 45l and not too big (they might have seemed smaller on the BM as it's a wide bike in itself.

But your bike looks great with them and it's what I was hoping for.

My @'s panniers (home made) also has pop rivets in them and leaks a bit (if I do water crossings), but I have resolved the issue by taping the inside over the rivets with 100-mile/hour tape.

Squily
Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #792
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
i use jerry cans for paniers that arent waterproof i use waterproof soft bags for boat that have the roll tops and pack my gear in them always dry and dust free
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #793
Tarby
A Basic Biker

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily
New to your forum, and if its been posted before- sorry, but I can't be bothered to read through all the pages

Has anybody ever mounted these panniers on a Varadero:

http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/cat...roducts_id=764

I'd be interested in seeing what they look like (if anybody has some pictures). I am in process of buying my Varadero and I can't decide on which panniers to get. I know the Zega and H&B is tried and trusted and they are my 1st choice, but I don't think they compliment the clean lines of the bike. I will basically only use the bike for long-distance bitumen (and some gravel) work and not for off-road- that's what the @'s for . And I don't like the plastic road-bike type panniers. Gobi is an option, but these TraX...

Hi Squily, just to give you the heads up on the Zega option. I recently traded my Suzuki DL1000 for the Veradero, which was a great decision, never took to the DL. Anyway the DL had the Zega setup so I kept the panniers. I ordered the racks for the Dero from Touratech, in the au, they said they did not hold stock and it would take 3/4 weeks to get them from Germany. That was 6 weeks ago! Rang them again today they told me it would be another 4 weeks. Not very happy with that little response as I had a trip planned to Darwin back in early July so that got well canned. When I ordered them the web site said 'in stock'. LIE. So now I'm wondering if there is any other system that can accommodate the Zega panniers because if there is, I'm there.
Anyway, what I saying is if there any thing you want for the Dero in Aus check before parting with your mullah.
I'm shaking my head here. I get bits and pieces from the US of A and it's here in a week, you order it 'locally' and it's 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, what is wrong with these people...............Ah, don't me started............
Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #794
Squily
Squily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarby
I'm shaking my head here. I get bits and pieces from the US of A and it's here in a week, you order it 'locally' and it's 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, what is wrong with these people...............Ah, don't me started............
I hear you. I just oredered bits for the @ from UK. Ordered Saturday night, got a "shipped" response this morning and should be here within a week. Motorrad says 6 weeks for pannier-frames

But then again, I waited 3 months for Honda Japan for a oil pump for the @. Go figure

Squily
Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #795
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
that is the whole reason i got my stuff from twisted throttle the Aussie dealers where just to long to wait
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote