User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #826
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
i stand on the pegs or hang my legs they just miss the road
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #827
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I think there are some in the twisted throttle catalog that clamp to the tubing of your crash bars so can put them pretty much anywhere. I am thinking about it but so far make do stopping on longer trips every 100-150kms for some water and change what I'm listening to. Though at non highway speeds a stand up for a few seconds in the pegs works as well.
STRANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #828
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,489
I'm tempted to trade my VFR for a Varadero. I test rode a Multistrada and a Tiger 1050 last week and they both have certain strength's and weaknesses. However, they were both much more useable than my bike in most circumstances. I had a carbed Varadero many moons ago and it was a fine road bike. Local dealer has a used Fi 2010 model ex demo for sale. Might have to have a ride - just to see what it's like.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #829
Lomig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
'Dero goes belly-up...

So a few weeks ago I was riding Southward Road (#13) near Bala solo. I decided to go up there to unwind. I was riding mellow, I ignored the guys doing 120+ and relaxed through the country roads.

After a while I decided to take a break and have some water, so I started to look for a decent place to stop. As Southward Road is so twisty, I waited to find a decent straight-away so that I'd not be the subject of some idiot's target fixation as they whipped around the corner. They had just mowed the tall grass so it seemed perfect. I slowed down, put on my hazards, and at about 5 km/h went about a foot and a half onto the mowed grass. I came to a stop, put my left foot down, looked around, then switched foot to bring the kickstand down.

Except that there was no ground to my right. It was very, very thick, tall grass... covering a ditch. And no, I'm not an absolute moron. It looked like solid ground. So into the ditch I went with the bike...

Other than confirming that my brand new cellphone floated (but took in water like a sponge), the only damage, once a family stopped to help me pull the bike out (there still are some wonderful, wonderful people around...), was a cracked MRA vario-touring windshield (a hairline crack from one of the mounting points to the edge) and the right-hand-side turn indicator had popped into the fairing (but still worked!). The SW Motech crash bars took the brunt of it. Thank goodness.

The bike started straight away and I rode home after doing a few checks. After I got home, the bike was rough starting, so I performed an oil change, then had my dealer change the air filter (it's doable alone, but removing the tank is clumsy and... I'd done enough damage to the poor thing already, thought I should give it some professional care for once). After that it's been starting as beautifully as day one.

The cracked windshield was an excuse to get the Givi one... which is incredibly taller than the OE and MRA one (MRA one is as tall as the OE screen, 48cms, just has the spoiler which diffuses the buffeting, but it hits me on the same spot).

Anyway. Just thought I'd share my experience. It's been about a month and I still haven't heard the end of the jokes (and in some ways rightfully so). So no, I did not expect the 'Dero to act as a submarine as well. No, I did not get my boating licence when I got my rider's licence. Etc., etc.
Lomig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #830
Lomig
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
I'm tempted to trade my VFR for a Varadero. I test rode a Multistrada and a Tiger 1050 last week and they both have certain strength's and weaknesses. However, they were both much more useable than my bike in most circumstances. I had a carbed Varadero many moons ago and it was a fine road bike. Local dealer has a used Fi 2010 model ex demo for sale. Might have to have a ride - just to see what it's like.
I had an '07 25th anniversary VFR800. Test riding the Varadero last year was revelatory... I managed to sell my Viffer for what I owed on it and bought an '08 black one in July 2009. I've not looked back.

Being 6'5", it's the right bike for me. When I ride with friends, I can keep up with the crazier lot better with the 'Dero than I could with the Viffer... ergonomics I guess. Just so much more comfortable on it.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #831
STRANA
Adventurer

I have the MRA but switched back to the OEM windshield. I really want to try out the taller Givi one. Sorry about the phone but it could have been worse and thankfuly wasn't. Gives you a reason to get the new iPhone
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #832
Lomig
Adventurer

SW Motech Trial Tank Bag (with Quick Lock tank ring)

Aaaaand one more post.

About 2 monts ago I ordered the SW Motech (Bags Connection) Trial QL tank bag from Twisted Throttle:

(Linky Here)

I didn't want a magnetic bag mostly due to me carrying electronics, and to avoid scratching the tank any more than I have with my old riding pants that... well, let's not get into that.

The tank ring installed in about 2 minutes, the instructions were clear. Just remove 4 of the bolts on the tank, put the ring on top, install the 4 supplied bolts and it's done.

The bag itself is of great quality, comes with a rain cover with a clear top, etc. The two little side pockets zip off.

The only concern is that with those side pockets, when the handlebars are at full left the bag presses against the high beam button and when at full right it presses against the starter button. Not a big deal, but I became aware of it immediately. If it really bothered me I'd just remove those side pockets.

I ride with the bag 99% of the time. I love it.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #833
Lomig
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANA
I have the MRA but switched back to the OEM windshield. I really want to try out the taller Givi one. Sorry about the phone but it could have been worse and thankfuly wasn't. Gives you a reason to get the new iPhone
I knooooow. But one's pride is severely hurt when this happens... but you're absolutely right. I didn't get hurt and the bike is ultimately fine. The turn indicator lens is about $100 though. That was an eye-opener.

I'll give a full report on the Givi windscreen in a bit... I installed it yesterday. Markham Outdoor Power got it to me in 2 days! I love dealing with those guys.

In a few days I'm leaving from Toronto to Nova Scotia on a little vacation on the Varadero.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #834
STRANA
Adventurer

Enjoy your trip to the coast, I'm off to the gap tomorrow myself.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #835
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomig
Aaaaand one more post.

The bag itself is of great quality, comes with a rain cover with a clear top, etc. The two little side pockets zip off.

The only concern is that with those side pockets, when the handlebars are at full left the bag presses against the high beam button and when at full right it presses against the starter button. Not a big deal, but I became aware of it immediately. If it really bothered me I'd just remove those side pockets.
If the starter button hits the bag it will engage the starter every time you make a low speed sharp turn in that direction. The only way you will know this is the load shedding relay shuts off the head light. You can't hear it with ear plugs in etc. Don't ask me how I know this. I can't imagine it is good for the bike to have the starter trying to engage while the bike is running. Metal filings etc getting into the oil.

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #836
Arktus
on XTzy!

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomig
I had the same problem and found that on the german varadero board:
http://tourzentralede.h826747.server...asc&highlight=
A good idea. Used it on a 6k km scandinavia-trip.
I don´t know if he has still some sets left.
Maybe you can make similar parts yourself. Like this guy:
http://maikelsseite.de/10.html
It´s the picture that has "Starterschutz aus VA-Blech angefertigt" below it.

Greetz

Arktus

Now playing: Yamaha XT 1200 Z Super Ténéré, Legendary XRV750 Africa Twin RD07

Arktus screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 09:07 PM
Arktus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #837
davidgibson999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktus
I had the same problem and found that on the german varadero board:
http://tourzentralede.h826747.server...asc&highlight=
A good idea. Used it on a 6k km scandinavia-trip.
I don´t know if he has still some sets left.
Maybe you can make similar parts yourself. Like this guy:
http://maikelsseite.de/10.html
It´s the picture that has "Starterschutz aus VA-Blech angefertigt" below it.

Greetz

Arktus
Great idea - thanks for posting this.
davidgibson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #838
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Starterbutton protection

We (the Dutch Varadero & Transalp Club) are planning a (small) production of the starterbutton protection; comparable with the German unit as shown below:
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #839
davidgibson999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
We (the Dutch Varadero & Transalp Club) are planning a (small) production of the starterbutton protection; comparable with the German unit as shown below:
Ok - keep us posted.
I'd be interested.
David
davidgibson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #840
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
2nd pic, in cortesy of http://maikelsseite.de/2.html

See attached. I guess any one who is a little 'handy' with Aloi and tools could duplicate it easily...
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote