User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #856
calgaryTOloja
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New to the site

Just thought I'd say hello. Been watching this site for awhile now and have enjoyed. Bought my '08 Varadero new this spring and have been enjoying it this summer when I can.
Have not ridden in about 25 years (other than renting a Harley when I get a chance to visit Vegas. Planning for a big ride next Summer and want to take time to get back in the swing of things. Don't want to become a mid 50's statistic if you know what I mean.

Have added a few goodies since I bought it.

SW Motech crash bars
SW Motech Center stand
SW Motech Evo quick release luggage racks
Givi E-41 saddlebags
Givi E-52 Top Box
Admore lighting kits for bags and box
2 12 volt accessory outlets
Throttle lock

Tried to upload photo but keeps failing.

Will keep enjoying the site and ask for help when needed and offer advice when I can.
calgaryTOloja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #857
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktus
I don´t know if it was posted before, but i found this nice series with 2 Varaderos at the baja.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktus
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/categor...pic-of-cancer/
Very good videoquality.

Greetz

Arktus

@Arktus... the guys are from Canada and member at www.varadero-international.com forum. With their approval we have used their picture on our portal. Aren’t you in there as well?

The site Onewheeldrive.net contains nice travel reports and many more great pictures of this venture; I can only recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
That was when it was all BMW 800s and they were talking about their wheels falling off or the bikes burning or all the toys they could buy and than never ride the bikes. LOL!

You naughty boy, Jimmie... In a moment from now all those poor BMW owners and BMW-ADV members are all falling over us and accusing us of 'BMW-Bashing'...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #858
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
You naughty boy, Jimmie... In a moment from now all those poor BMW owners and BMW-ADV members are all falling over us and accusing us of 'BMW-Bashing'...
[/QUOTE]

BMW bashing - is there such a thing
Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #859
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi
BMW bashing - is there such a thing
You don't need to bash an BMW to take in apart... It's an off-work accessory from Munich...

No kidding... I always find it rather surprisingly to find many 'negative' postings from BMW owners in topics here at ADV involving other makes and brands of motorcycles.

Always in terms of 'its an copy of,...' 'BMW was first...' blablabla.
How does that come, I wonder. Almost half of ADV 'beast' section are BMW topics... At one particular moment I counted on the first section over 15 different BMW F800GS topics!

Frankly I don't give a D*mn about the BMW topics - I don't even read them because the bikes aren’t interesting for the purpose I'm using them. ]

I think (without being an qualified therapist) that somewhere within the BMW legion there is a deep desire to be like the rest of us...

I would like to share an quote from a dear friend and fellow member of varadero-international.com, Josep from Spain with you guys. It's an bulls-eye...:

Quote:

We're Odd... (We Don't ride BMW)

Admittedly, we are not mainstream: we don't ride BMW.

I was thinking of this as I was in a one day romp in the French Pyrenees. Not only were there a lot of GS1200, but many of the new 800 cc twins as well.

So, I guess BMW's sales of GS1200 will continue to be as large in the next few years. After all, aren't many of us former owners of Transalp and/or Africa Twin?

I believe Honda needs a new Varadero and a new Africa Twin. The former with a presence and performances, the latter being an able offroader.

Greetings,

Josep M.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #860
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
You don't need to bash an BMW to take in apart... It's an off-work accessory from Munich...

No kidding... I always find it rather surprisingly to find many 'negative' postings from BMW owners in topics here at ADV involving other makes and brands of motorcycles.

Always in terms of 'its an copy of,...' 'BMW was first...' blablabla.
How does that come, I wonder. Almost half of ADV 'beast' section are BMW topics... At one particular moment I counted on the first section over 15 different BMW F800GS topics!

Frankly I don't give a D*mn about the BMW topics - I don't even read them because the bikes aren’t interesting for the purpose I'm using them. ]

I think (without being an qualified therapist) that somewhere within the BMW legion there is a deep desire to be like the rest of us...

I would like to share an quote from a dear friend and fellow member of varadero-international.com, Josep from Spain with you guys. It's an bulls-eye...:
To which I replied mainstream (which the BMW crowd maintain they are) is over rated. Varaderos are under rated. That makes us Varadero lovers smart people. There endeth my talking about BMW riders, they are irrelevant to me.

I did post in one of the BMW threads that I thought about buying a BWM but then I decided to buy the best adventure tourer on the market
Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #861
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
try to get a BMW owner to explain how there bike is twice as good as the Vara because they cost twice as much so they should be twice the bike but they aren't that is why Beemer riders are the way they are there convincing themselves they did the right thing

did i mention i use to own a beemer but made a wise decision and now have the dero
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #862
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
Don't you think a lot of it is in the marketing "mystique" surronding the brand. I know a lot of Harley riders buy the brand for the image and the persona that the brand conveys.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #863
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
My feeling is that about half of the buyers are true believers, drank the coolaide. The other half are wanta bees. It is not hard to find an older BMW with lots of toys on it for sale with next to no miles on the clock. I just read a report about a heat IR monitor they are trying to sell to bikers. The guy says he is a BMW fanatic, than there is a picture of his bike, a 2001 with less than 12,ooo miles on it.

The bikes are expensive, the parts are expensive, service is out of this world and they are not overly reliable. New ones have too many fancy gadgets on them. Here is the best story I have read in a long while:

The BMW Deathtrap!!!
July 19, 2010
So, the usual ho-hum driving for an hour and a half to the ferry terminal in 55 degree fog. I was last onto the ferry and it was a short hour and a half trip from St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon. I roared out of the terminal and started the trek to Port Hope Simpson. The pavement to Red Bay was a bit beat up but still passable. The weather changed for the better and the sun was shining and it was 75 degrees. The scenery was quite beautiful as you can see.
When I got to the beginning of the gravel at Red Bay, I stopped and put the Automatic Stability Control (ASC) into off road mode and the Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) into two up and off road smooth mode. I also disabled the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) as it can be dangerous to ride off road with it on.
I rode 60 miles on the gravel doing roughly 50-55mph without even a hiccup. Then I am coming down a small incline and I go through a depression in the road… not a pothole just a little bouncy bump. All of a sudden the suspension goes haywire. The entire front suspension freaks out and all the weight is suddenly shifted to the rear. The bike is wildly swerving back and forth as I try to control it because essentially there is little to no weight on the the front tire. It was like trying to steer a snowmobile on the pavement. I came about a foot from going over the edge at 50mph in the middle of no-where! I managed to get the bike to stop and after calming my thumping heart I looked over everything including my tire tracks that swerved back and forth back up the road. There were no issues that I could see so I did a little ten mph test ride and again the the bike was un-drivable because the front suspension seemed to be fully extended and the bike’s weight distribution was to the rear. I stopped and changed the ESA back to one rider with luggage and normal mode. The settings took effect and the whole front of the bike dropped a huge distance as the ESA “released” the fully extended front shocks.
I drove rather carefully to Port Hope Simpson without further incident but now I am freakin paranoid. Is my BMW a deathtrap? It almost killed me… or scared me enough that as soon as I am back to civilization, it will be going to the nearest BMW dealer for a once over and to have the ESA thoroughly tested.

This is the mans web page:
http://bhm007.wordpress.com/2010/07/...ttachment/010/ It is posted in his July archives on the second page of the posting. He was on a trip to Labrador in Canada. He has had no more problems with the system.

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #864
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Varadero durability

Can't comment on the GS's but my Varadero just returned from the Tran Lab and is about to turn over 100,000K (at 99,145 now). The 100K occured over 2 and a half years with approx 30% off-road and so far no problems at all. Haven't even needed a valve adjustment or throttle body sync (checked them a few times but so far, well well within spec). Only parts replaced - oil & filters, tires, 2 sets front brake pads, 3 sets rear brake pads, 2 sets chain and sprockets.
Here's a photo from the road to Cartwright
Attached Images

africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #865
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
The weather has been kinda shitty in NFLD this year EH! Hope you had a good trip. Interesting to see what Honda does to replace this model.

Jimmiea.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #866
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
My big concern though is that Honda finally brings this bike to all of North America when they finally bring on the next generation ADV bike.
STRANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #867
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The weather has been kinda shitty in NFLD this year EH! Hope you had a good trip. Interesting to see what Honda does to replace this model.

Jimmiea.
Actually the weathr wasn't that bad except for this day which was proably a blessing in disguise. The rain helped to pack down the new loose gravel that had been a little bit more difficult the day before. Overall the ride was lots of fun.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #868
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Jimmiea.
Here's a better weather pic
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #869
tumblingdice54
Globetrotter

Oddometer: 17
Would like a recommendation

After all the driving you have done, what tires do you like most for a combination of gravel and pavement?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #870
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblingdice54
After all the driving you have done, what tires do you like most for a combination of gravel and pavement?
Actually I really like the stock tires for everything except sand and mud. If I anticipate sand and/or mud then I use Continental TKC80s.
The problrm with the TKCs is that they really don't work that well in soft gravel I think it is related to the profile. I actually prefer the stock tires in these conditions. I have always used the TKCs in the stock size but recently noticed that there is a rear one size smaller than stock that seems to have a better profile but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I get about 9000 km out of the rear and 12,000 out of the front TKCs