Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 01:31 AM   #76
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Our visit to the 10th Varadero International Meeting

Dear readers,

The 10th Varadero International Meeting in Hungary, at the shores of Lake Balaton, has become another grand succes! Almost 300 participants from 18 different nationalities (amongst them Turkey, Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Danmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Chech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Slowakia, Romania, Greece, Austria, Italy and Isral) participated on their Honda XL1000V Varadero's.

Before we participated to VIM, we joined another Honda bigtrail meeting: the 16. International Transalp Treffen in Parga, Greece. In 2,5 weeks both me and my wife covered 4.500 km and visited 9 different countries: Start in The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Greece, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary. The XL1000V Varadero is a real big tourer who is not scared away when the smooth paved roads are changed in to a dirtroad.

We've got several pictures to share with you on these two albums, please enjoy them!

In the Jerusalem area of Slovenia enjoying some off the excellent dirt roads

My wife Karinda on her '2000 Mk1 (120.000 km and still counting... record holder at the Varadero Meeting was Bogdan from Poland on a early '99 Mk1 with 181.000 km done (110.000 miles).

Leaving the EU into the republic of Croatia (Hrvatska)

The pics are placed in random order...

Serie 1:
http://www.ringo.com/photos/album/ph...bumId=43092144

Serie 2:
http://www.ringo.com/photos/album/ph...bumId=43092173

Enjoy them, and we are looking forward to meet the first Canadian participation to VIM in the near future... check out www.varadero-international.com for details; the next two editions will be held in Turkey (VIM11, 2009) and in the Austrian Alpes (VIM12, 2010).

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!

Two Plugs screwed with this post 05-19-2008 at 01:51 AM
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #77
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
25km to the litre????!!

Finn at:

http://www.oh8gej.org/varadero/

claims to be using 3.8 - 4.0 litres per 100 km. Is that possible?

Best I'm getting from my XRV750 and XLV750 is 6.0 litres per 100km.

My XLV600 (TA) uses 5.6 litres per 100 km.

Has the Dero's 1000cc engine really progressed to achieve that kind of economy? Anyone getting that kind of result? Important, as i'm shopping for one in Canada at present... .
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #78
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcan
Finn at:

http://www.oh8gej.org/varadero/

claims to be using 3.8 - 4.0 litres per 100 km. Is that possible?

Best I'm getting from my XRV750 and XLV750 is 6.0 litres per 100km.

My XLV600 (TA) uses 5.6 litres per 100 km.

Has the Dero's 1000cc engine really progressed to achieve that kind of economy? Anyone getting that kind of result? Important, as i'm shopping for one in Canada at present... .
Yes, fuel economy is surprisenly good... especially looking back at the 'old' carburettor fueled MK1 which performed rather poor in fuel economy. But: even on my 25 yrs old XLV750R I get 19 km on a litre, and on our 1987 Transalp it is even 22 km - We do ride safe; that does not mean slow! But both bikes performance is better on a minimum octane fuel of 98.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #79
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Fuel economy...

You're doing well to get those figures... . Maybe I need to ease up a little...

Really enjoyed northern Holland, particularly the canal ports. Check out my number plate...

Paul
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #80
crocapo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
You were in Croatia....I hope I will see you next time...
crocapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #81
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Interesting figure. 3.8 liter per 100 that's 26 km per liter. This is mind boggling economy and I do not believe it. Do not want to sound bad, but without relation to any particular bike model this figure is worthy of participation in "fuel saving races" for which people building purpose machines.
I agree with TwoPlugs figures on old Transalp (just finished rebuilding mechanics and getting to run 88 transalp for a friend) - 5 liter per 100 is achievable in easy motorway riding in top gear and no headwind. Less means very steady riding or slightly lean mixture (no big deal for Transalp).
But 3.8 on even new Varadero (that guy says his Vara is 2003 model) means either that you cruise on boring motorway with wind to your back in top gear without even as much as feathering trottle or that your bike runs really really lean + half of above conditions. BTW - notice that in blog you mentioned rider did find that his bike was running very lean and fixed it.
3.8 means that Varadero is the most fuel efficient motorcycle ever built...yeah, of course.
At risk of getting another portion of "rotten tomatoes" from Varadero owners from what we read before Varadero is most reliable, roadworthy, fastest, fully dirt road friendly than any competition, eats any other bike for breakfast in any condition, sold in huge numbers, cherished by world motopress and generally ruling the rooster of world motorcycle building and now it is most fuel efficient too! Ah, and best dualsport motorcycle in the world, rooting it's history to RC51 and Superblackbird...
No offence, but sometimes I what I read sounds like marketing campaign. Why not just to say that Varadero is good bike for segment of market it was built for? You just sooo dedicated guys! Now Varadero granted sales success in USA!
How hunting season open, you welcome to shoot
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #82
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

3,8 l... well... that is good, even for a 03 model. I am happy with the 5 l I achieve on my '04 ABS. But after my test spin on the 08 model I think on long distance touring 5 to 4 litre should be possible, no questions about that...

@ crocapo: We will be back in beautiful Croatia next year, on our way up to the 11th Varadero International Meeting in Turkey. So most likely I will try to get in touch with you for tips & tricks, which route to ride, good places to stay over, etc. We will be heading south with 3 Dero's, next year May.

@ Paul... nr 1... lost your licence? We will have a ride out with the Dutch club at www.varaderoclub.nl in the Northern Province next Saturday (May 24th). Be free to join in as well!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #83
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Have to miss that one, TP!

I'm back in Australia... . Presently preparing for four months' riding from Nova Scotia to Vancouver, then over to VI and up to Alaska. I plan to buy a Dero in Bridgewater, N.S. Cost is C$16,214.00 all up.

Also planning to leave a bike in NZ. ATs were imported there and are reasonably cheap, compared to Oz., where they're damned expensive...
if you can find one!

Will leave the Dero on Vancouver Island, for future rides: Mexico, Central America, South America.

PS: Check out the AT a friend loaned me in NZ... . You can pick one of these up for around NZ$7000.00. Cheap...!!
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #84
crocapo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
3,8 l... well... that is good, even for a 03 model. I am happy with the 5 l I achieve on my '04 ABS. But after my test spin on the 08 model I think on long distance touring 5 to 4 litre should be possible, no questions about that...

@ crocapo: We will be back in beautiful Croatia next year, on our way up to the 11th Varadero International Meeting in Turkey. So most likely I will try to get in touch with you for tips & tricks, which route to ride, good places to stay over, etc. We will be heading south with 3 Dero's, next year May.

@ Paul... nr 1... lost your licence? We will have a ride out with the Dutch club at www.varaderoclub.nl in the Northern Province next Saturday (May 24th). Be free to join in as well!
O.k contact me any time.Private i work in turism so it will not be a problem to find you a good place to stay over...I hope that you like Croatian sea food and everything because I hope that you are going to have time to tray some of those things....
crocapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #85
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Dero Report.

Very much appreciated, TP. Think we'll proceed to buy the Varadero in eastern Canada. They won't have the TA 700, so we don't have that choice, anyway. Finding Canada's Honda dealers fairly unexcited about adventure bikes, unfortunately... .

Pleased to read that the Dero is so economical. You're actually doing a little better than I am on my Africa Twin (16.5 / L) !

Ride safe in Italy...!

Paul,
W. Australia
XLV750R (1986, shaft)
XLV600 (TA, 1987)
XRV750 (AT, 1992)
Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #86
Rod Rat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Here is what can be done with a 2008 model for our conditions in South Africa, Cape Town. This bike just eats up the off roads as thats where I like to ride.
Attached Images

Rod Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #87
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Rat
Here is what can be done with a 2008 model for our conditions in South Africa, Cape Town. This bike just eats up the off roads as thats where I like to ride.
Yeah, that's the model for what I'll do with a Dero once I can get my hands on one here in the States... Maybe someday soon...

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #88
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Rod Rat,

Would appreciate some action pics with those tyres!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 AM   #89
Rod Rat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Will arrange some for you guys shortly.
Rod Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #90
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

The perfect overall- tyres for the Dero?

I was a big admirer of anything coming from Michelin - for both the Transalp and for the Varadero (Michelin Anakee - most certainly not the Pilot road!) but I am totally converted to Continental these days.

I have now over 13.000 km done with a new set of Continental Trail Attack and I guess that it should be possible to get another 3.000 k from them (totaly adding up to 16.000 km / 10.000 miles). Wow, what a set of tyres they are!

I would recommend them to anyone. Rain, winter, summer, dirty roads, even dirtroads - OK, they are not TKC's but they just do the trick! And the best part... No chicken strips on these Conti Trail Attacks any more!