Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #1126
holmesie
I like stuff...

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
The tricky part, and dangerous if done wrong, is installing the two return springs on the centre stand. The answer is to use a big flat blade screwdriver and sorta pry on the spring.
I used VERY HEAVY DUTY zipties to extend the spring enough to be able to flip the hooks over with a screwdriver. This made is very easy, but you have to use the toughest zips possible. I would reccommend eye-protection and gloves when doing the springs as like Jimmie says this part is dangerous
Old 11-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #1127
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 665
Convince me to buy the Veradero over a KTM

Need convincing that the HONDA is the way to go. Love the looks of both the KTM Adventure and the HONDA VERADERO. Just not sure about the KTM's reliability. Why should I choose the HONDA. Anyone ridden both? How do they compare?

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #1128
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 395
JUNAC
Not sure that I would want to convice you to choose one or the other. I haven't ridden a KTM Adventure. IMO the Varadero and the KTM Adventure are both big bikes probably more suited for on road with some offroad capabilities, not real serious stuff (for me anyway), more or less depending on the skill of the rider.
Having said that I'm pleased with my Varadero. Over 9000 km with no issues except lubing the chain and changing the engine oil. Runs smooth and comfortably on the slab at 125 klicks all day. I've ridden several 700 Km days and felt OK when I got off. I think the bike handles gravel as well as any. Tires are a big factor I think.
Get the bike that you like and feel comfortable on.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #1129
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Southern ON? You ride with Evans? If so may have met you at the Sat morning breakfast joint.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #1130
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 395
JUNAC
No I'm in Sarnia. Not quite as far south as you guys.
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #1131
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNAC
Need convincing that the HONDA is the way to go. Love the looks of both the KTM Adventure and the HONDA VERADERO. Just not sure about the KTM's reliability. Why should I choose the HONDA. Anyone ridden both? How do they compare?
The Honda and the KTM are like the Liberals and the PC. Basically different. The KTM is a 100 HP dirt bike the only one out there. It is tightly focus and needs lots of TLC for maintenance as far as I know. Not that reliable as I can tell but I could be be totally wrong too. The Honda XR1000VA is more or less a street bike that can do gravel roads. Up right riding position and big tank to do big miles. As far as I can tell it is a Honda, meaning it is totally reliable. I own this Honda and love it. It is a heavy bike but so was my BMW GS1150 ADV. A good long distance highway bike needs to be heavy. The BMW and my Honda can do long distance highway. Get on a light bike in a cross wind or transport truck winds and see how you like that. Or the strips on the highway. Just saying. Try loading down a small bike for a big trip see how that goes. I guess pick your poison. The Honda should be totally reliable. It is more or less a up right riding position street bike that will do dirt roads all day long that has a big tank. And it is being phased out so that is not too good. The 950 KTM is also phased out as far as I know. One good point is that the XL1000VA has a cheap price now as far as I know.

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #1132
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

JimmieA,

I think you were referring to the Super Enduro, I'm talking about the 950 and 990 Adventures. Most of my riding has been pavement and gravel roads, very light trail riding. I know the reliability of the HONDA, had them as a kid, ride one now. KTM just seems like the BEAST I want. Don't want to be wrenching and paying all the time though.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #1133
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
JimmieA,

I think you were referring to the Super Enduro, I'm talking about the 950 and 990 Adventures. Most of my riding has been pavement and gravel roads, very light trail riding. I know the reliability of the HONDA, had them as a kid, ride one now. KTM just seems like the BEAST I want. Don't want to be wrenching and paying all the time though.
Im been riding both 990 adv(not much) and Varadero(a lot) summer and some at winter too. You have to only sit on bikes and you feel that KTM is a offroad-tourer, while Vara is a onroad-tourer.

You should go for a KTM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #1134
Six Mile
Dinodero

Oddometer: 10
Centre Stand installed

I successfully installed my Motech centre stand today. I attached a wire loop to the spring and then hooked a tie down strap through the loop. I ran the tie down up over the seat (with some padding under it) and anchored to the foot peg frame on the other side of the bike. After applying tension to the tie down strap, I was able to nudge the spring over the mount with not a lot of difficulty.
I had trouble posting photos here so I have posted them at this web site http://www.sendpix.com/albums/101114...cb650631d558a/

Hope this helps.
[IMG]file:///D:/My%20Old%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Motorbikes/Varadero/Centre%20stand/2.wire%20loop_resize.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///D:/My%20Old%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Motorbikes/Varadero/Centre%20stand/2.wire%20loop_resize.JPG[/IMG]
Six Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #1135
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 333
Varadero

Quote:
JUNAC - I recently bought a varadero after a friend of mine recommended the KTM Adventure. The KTM is slightly more dirt oriented than the dero, but the dero is more comfortable long distance, probably one of the most comfortable to ride. The dero handles gravel roads and hard packed dirt roads with ease, but is heavy. The KTM is lighter and more nimble, and more at ease on dirt to a certain extent.

The choice depends on what your are after. I chose the Honda because I do mostly paved roads and a bit of gravel, it travels well long distance, is comfortable to ride and has the Honda reliability. I'm not that mechanically minded so this was a big factor for me.

All the best with your decision.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #1136
Rev Tiny
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
well i am just back from a 2500km trip down the longest river in Australia the Darling all was dirt and sand and quite a bit of bulldust (a dust that is very deep but has the consistancy of talc) i went with a husky 610 and an aprilia pegaso on the harder stuff the dero was all over them in the sand not so much but all bikes arived every day at the stops together and i didnt do it anywhere near as tough as the others comfort wise
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #1137
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
KTM vv Dero

Since my Honda agent is also an KTM agent (sometimes I am lucky... ) from time to time I am able to ride a new Keemer as well.

I like both. A lot. But I can underline everything written before. The KTM is a playful bike. It is the 'Africa Twin' which should have been a Honda - but it isn't.

On dirt and sand it handles remarkably good for such a big bike. But its near to 60 kg less heavy than a Varadero ABS... Which you can feel when the going gets tough.

On the other side... The KTM is build from expensive parts. The Austrians haven't cut on their budget during the development of this bike so if an repair is necessary, it will be expensive. I don't like the fuel injection and the brakes either - the only positive aspect of the KTM ABS is that you are able to switch it off.

You can't on a Dero, but why would any one so do? The CBS/ABS brakes are to my modest opinion (together with the linked ABS brakes from BMW) the best you can get on a motorcycle these days.

Although the Keemer is (much) better suited for playing in the dirt, I would prefer an LC4 for this purpose. Is your goal long distance touring, which you want to continue where the paved road ends, both bikes will do.

I prefer the comfort and fuel-mileage range of the XL1000V Varadero for that purpose...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #1138
Strada
Tally Ho!

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Bike magazine did a recent review of the Varadero and said it was probably the most underated bike ever! It may be heavy so not really ideal for any off-road work but the mass works to it's advantage on the road, providing a stable, sure-footed ride. Having tried one recently, I would say that you need to be able to plant both feet securely on the floor, so idaelly 6' or more. Very tempting bike with the right colour and spec.

This one is in my local dealer with only 600 miles on it - the owner was a bit too short and didn't feel secure on it especially with his wife on the back.

www.palmerproducts.co.uk
Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #1139
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
I'm only 5ft 8in and agree about the weight very heavy at low speed !!! I've had my 00 mk 1 for Two years now and have had a lower seat fitted !!! can,t fault the bike, bloody great..... don't be put off been a short ASS like me !!it's as light as a feather when running and i can throw her all over..... if i did have to change anything it would be ..............a newer one
Phil
Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #1140
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Sorry forgot pics