ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #106
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,162
Perhaps should we try to visit Oz some day in the future... I already fell in love with South Africa, but downunder should be offering some amazing stuff as well!

Btw... it seems that Oz is getting the Dero back as well, starting 2nd half of this year.
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #107
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Margarets: The Hole-in-the-Forest
Oddometer: 269
Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Perhaps should we try to visit Oz some day in the future... I already fell in love with South Africa, but downunder should be offering some amazing stuff as well!

Btw... it seems that Oz is getting the Dero back as well, starting 2nd half of this year.
You'd enjoy it Down Under. Feel welcome to stay. Dutch friends will behere for the first months of 2009. Yes, the Dero is on the way. Looking forward to that... . Could it match, or beat my RD04 for economy...?
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #108
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcan
You'd enjoy it Down Under. Feel welcome to stay. Dutch friends will behere for the first months of 2009. Yes, the Dero is on the way. Looking forward to that... . Could it match, or beat my RD04 for economy...?
It will beat your thrusty RD04 by far, believe me. Honda's PFI fuel injection is one of the best you can get on a bike these days! And the 08 Varadero is equipped with the latest version...
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #109
mchester
Honda Cult Member
 
mchester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Marysville Inmate
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
It will beat your thrusty RD04 by far, believe me. Honda's PFI fuel injection is one of the best you can get on a bike these days! And the 08 Varadero is equipped with the latest version...
Can you give us an example of the fuel economy you see on the 08M Vara? Thanks.
__________________
"I intend to live forever. So far, so good" Steven Wright

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 AM   #110
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchester
Can you give us an example of the fuel economy you see on the 08M Vara? Thanks.
No, because for good objective figures I would like to ride the 08 for several 1.000 km - I only did near to 1.000 on a brand new bike which had to be run in properly first.

But on my '04 (52.000 k on the counter) I can easily manage to get 17 km to the litre (Super Plus +98 ron) on speed touring, under normal circumstances I can do 20-22 km (country roads cruising at 90 - 100 km/h)on the litre with full luggage (2 38l Alu H&B panniers, topcase, bagster tankbag and a 80 litre Ortlieb bigpack with camping gear on the rear seat)

This is the same economy we get from our '2000 Mk1 (carburettor model) tnx to different (dynojet) jets on the carbs and a modified Firestorm K&N air filter. The MK1 is thirstier on (fast) motorway travels (difference with my fuel injected MK2 is 2 litre more on a full fuel tank which can store 25 litres) and my wife rides the bike with the same amount of luggage as I do. On motorways we usually cruise at 130 km/h - 150 km/h in Germany - No speed limits!

I'm sorry, but I live in the Metric World and can't provide these figures in
MPG...
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #111
mchester
Honda Cult Member
 
mchester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Marysville Inmate
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs

I'm sorry, but I live in the Metric World and can't provide these figures in
MPG...
Thanks... No problem, I am capable of the math... About 50 MPG (US), not bad at all... You think the 08M is even better? That is pretty close to waht I get on my ST1300 (Pan European).
__________________
"I intend to live forever. So far, so good" Steven Wright

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:01 AM   #112
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchester
Thanks... No problem, I am capable of the math... About 50 MPG (US), not bad at all... You think the 08M is even better? That is pretty close to waht I get on my ST1300 (Pan European).
I've answered that one (the 08 question)... If you could translate the MPG (US) thing for me, we both are happy!

My brother rides a ST1300X and on my 04 Varadero the difference in fuel consumption is minor. Yes, I do think that a 08 can do better.
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #113
mchester
Honda Cult Member
 
mchester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Marysville Inmate
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
I've answered that one (the 08 question)... If you could translate the MPG (US) thing for me, we both are happy!

My brother rides a ST1300X and on my 04 Varadero the difference in fuel consumption is minor. Yes, I do think that a 08 can do better.
Cool... Now if we can just convince American Honda that there is a market here in the states for this bike... Maybe soon... I hope...
__________________
"I intend to live forever. So far, so good" Steven Wright

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300

mchester screwed with this post 07-09-2008 at 08:08 AM
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #114
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,717
Cycle World comparison with Varadero

Well I finally got pages scanned and posted on my SmugMug of an adventure touring comparison I got to take part in many years ago which you guys might find useful since it includes the Honda Varadero. Scans are big enough that one should have no trouble reading from a moniter.

http://beez.smugmug.com/gallery/5383598_ZQ9pS

Definitely the biggest and porkiest bike of the group, had a great seat and was a wonderful streetbike. Was just ok on gravel roads and absolutely sucked in even the slightest bit of sand (tires could help a lot here of course). As a former Superhawk owner I was not impressed with the motor in the Varadero. I don't know if it was extra weight, state-of-tune or what but it sucked compared to the Superhawk's which I loved. I'm not up to date on the current Varadero but it probably has EFI now and a host of other improvements so that is likely a non-issue. Still, I don't think anyone in the U.S. is missing out since we have the V-Strom 1000 which is better in every way and has a much better aftermarket.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #115
mchester
Honda Cult Member
 
mchester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Marysville Inmate
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
Well I finally got pages scanned and posted on my SmugMug of an adventure touring comparison I got to take part in many years ago which you guys might find useful since it includes the Honda Varadero. Scans are big enough that one should have no trouble reading from a moniter.

http://beez.smugmug.com/gallery/5383598_ZQ9pS

Definitely the biggest and porkiest bike of the group, had a great seat and was a wonderful streetbike. Was just ok on gravel roads and absolutely sucked in even the slightest bit of sand (tires could help a lot here of course). As a former Superhawk owner I was not impressed with the motor in the Varadero. I don't know if it was extra weight, state-of-tune or what but it sucked compared to the Superhawk's which I loved. I'm not up to date on the current Varadero but it probably has EFI now and a host of other improvements so that is likely a non-issue. Still, I don't think anyone in the U.S. is missing out since we have the V-Strom 1000 which is better in every way and has a much better aftermarket.
So, somebody can't do math.... The Honda is not the heaviest in this group. Both the Guzzi and the BMW are heavier.
__________________
"I intend to live forever. So far, so good" Steven Wright

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #116
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,717
I didn't say heaviest. The Varadero doesn't carry its weight as well. While it may weigh less it is physically larger and wider through the tank, pegs and seat.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:11 AM   #117
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
I didn't say heaviest. The Varadero doesn't carry its weight as well. While it may weigh less it is physically larger and wider through the tank, pegs and seat.
We have owned a 97 Africa Twin and despite the fact that the good, old Twin is apr. 20 kg less heavy as an MK1 Varadero (the 1998-2002 carb version), the Dero is easier to handle because its centre of gravity is lower as on the Africa Twin.

Although I am not a Beemer admirer (they tend to brake down every speedbumb... ) the big plus is that the weight is mostly 'compressed' in the boxer engine... Which is a big plus in handling...
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #118
Iron_man
n00b
 
Iron_man's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Inspired by some of the postings above... Lets share it!
(Have to search for my own though... )
Your wish is my command m8









FYI thats a 2000, carb model, with 60 k Klms on the odo, slightly modified
Iron_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #119
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Two Plugs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Groningen Province - Top of Holland
Oddometer: 1,162
Nice one... You made some good modifications on the bike I see... I love the white indicators and your exhaust system!
__________________
Bernard 'Two Plugs', NL
Honda XL1000V Varadero & VFR1200X Crosstourer Forum www.vci-forum.com

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #120
Iron_man
n00b
 
Iron_man's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Nice one... You made some good modifications on the bike I see... I love the white indicators and your exhaust system!
...The most recent mod being ... 6 gear box
Iron_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014