Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #1366
Transitwally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoakley View Post
Very nice! Would you loose the abs? how many km's on a rear k60 scout! i'm running tkc80's now!

I am going to send the rims with the brake rotors and ABS tone wheels, so that they can fit them to the new ones.I probably have a little over 11,000 km on the rear. I had put a TKC 80 on the front after my lost pressure experience, and it worked well.
Transitwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #1367
LAZ 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
upgrading from Weestrom to Vstrom 1000 or Varadero?

I've decided to sell my 2005 Weestrom 650.

My Wee is all farkled up to the max, fits me perfectly, and I just put a 14T front sprocket on it for more "jump".
BUT,
a 650 is NOT a 1000.

And
for two up riding all loaded up for "adventure touring",
the Wee is a bit of a disappointment to me in the power and torque departments.
Some of my previous bikes have been two BMW GS 1150s, and three Yamaha FJR 1300s, so I guess I'm just spoiled for smaller bikes.

So,
I have been looking at the Vstrom 1000. After a few test rides on a few Vstrom 1000 bikes, I REALLY like the improved power and torque the BIG V has over the Wee. As long as I use a Wee 650 seat on the 1000, the big V still fits me well and is just about the perfect bike for me ... except the 1000 motor is not as smooth as the Wee 650.

BUT THEN,
I stopped by a local M/C shop yesterday and they had a low mileage, as new, Honda Varadero for sale.
CHEAP!!! REALLY REALLY CHEAP!!!

I took the Varadero out for a short ride, and now I am thinking the Varadero is a contender.

Any one here that has real world experience with both bikes, and can give a comprehensive run down of the pros and cons of each, preferably from an owner's perspective.

PS: I am looking for real world practical advice here,
comparing these two bikes,
from people with exprience on both.
thanks
LAZ 1

LAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #1368
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Vstrom vv Varadero

Hi LAZ1,

The V-strom 1000 is a good bike (just like the 650) - no arguing about that.

But: it has been taken out of production quit some years ago; not without an reason. Comparing the 1000 Strom with the 650, I think that the 1000 can't make up its promises. Because the 650 is an honesty good Vstrom.

The Varadero XL1000V isn't a modern contender as well. The bases of the XL1000 has been put together in 1998; and the current MK2 is actually a modified version.

The big plus for the Varadero is its smooth, trouble-free engine, faultless gearbox and good fuel economy. Comfort and all-weather protection are best amongst all big trail bikes (pls note, I'm 6,8 ft / 2,04 m tall)

Actually, you have answered your own questions after the test spin... ;)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #1369
cgoakley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitwally View Post
I am going to send the rims with the brake rotors and ABS tone wheels, so that they can fit them to the new ones.I probably have a little over 11,000 km on the rear. I had put a TKC 80 on the front after my lost pressure experience, and it worked well.
let me know how much it will cost! might do the same thing! pics to please! thanks oak!
cgoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #1370
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Hi fellas, has anyone spotted any Varaderos in the US for sale lately?
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #1371
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

14th Varadero International Meeting 2012 Logo

Hi All,

Happy to share the official Logo for the 14th Varadero International Meeting, May 2012 in Tarragona, Catalunya, Spain, with you guys 'n girls.

Registration for the meeting will open soon!
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #1372
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZ 1 View Post
I've decided to sell my 2005 Weestrom 650.

My Wee is all farkled up to the max, fits me perfectly, and I just put a 14T front sprocket on it for more "jump".
BUT,
a 650 is NOT a 1000.

And
for two up riding all loaded up for "adventure touring",
the Wee is a bit of a disappointment to me in the power and torque departments.
Some of my previous bikes have been two BMW GS 1150s, and three Yamaha FJR 1300s, so I guess I'm just spoiled for smaller bikes.

So,
I have been looking at the Vstrom 1000. After a few test rides on a few Vstrom 1000 bikes, I REALLY like the improved power and torque the BIG V has over the Wee. As long as I use a Wee 650 seat on the 1000, the big V still fits me well and is just about the perfect bike for me ... except the 1000 motor is not as smooth as the Wee 650.

BUT THEN,
I stopped by a local M/C shop yesterday and they had a low mileage, as new, Honda Varadero for sale.
CHEAP!!! REALLY REALLY CHEAP!!!

I took the Varadero out for a short ride, and now I am thinking the Varadero is a contender.

Any one here that has real world experience with both bikes, and can give a comprehensive run down of the pros and cons of each, preferably from an owner's perspective.

PS: I am looking for real world practical advice here,
comparing these two bikes,
from people with exprience on both.
thanks
LAZ 1

My good friend bought a DL 1000 when I bought my Varadero. We both rode each other's bike but I found the Varadero smoother, easier to handle (even though it is slightly heavier) I got better fuel mileage from it. The DL1000 is a good bike. The engine is good. However, the biggest difference for me was the rear suspension, the Varadero was better. Suzuki go to the cheap bin parts for their bikes to keep the price competitive. Having said that my mate likes his DL1000. He does a lot of two up riding plus gear for camping and the bike manages it very well. In my view the Varadero just it just a little bit better. You won't be sorry owning the Dero...
Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #1373
RTW
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Sc

Scottoiler -
Has anyone installed a "Scottoiler" system on their Varadero ? What degree of difficulty ? Do you feel it was worth the time and effort ? Is it just another "gimmick" ? Planning a RTW next year and am pondering the elements of this device. First time on any forum. Hope this makes it's way out there. Thanks. - Al . RTW
RTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #1374
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW View Post
Scottoiler -
Has anyone installed a "Scottoiler" system on their Varadero ? What degree of difficulty ? Do you feel it was worth the time and effort ? Is it just another "gimmick" ? Planning a RTW next year and am pondering the elements of this device. First time on any forum. Hope this makes it's way out there. Thanks. - Al . RTW

Got one on the AT and won't bother buying another one for the Varadero. But at the same time, I won't remove the one on the AT either. You get other units with an electronic control, which may be better than the scott-oiler. In my experience:

Pro's:
  • You can adjust the flow of the system so you can "flush" the chain when riding harsh environs like sand so no grinding paste forms if compared to other lubes, like chain wax
  • Lubricates the chain so you don't have to
Con's
  • On the AT, it's installed behind the side panel, which means I have to remove the panel everytime I want to change the setting or refill it. It's faster to lube a chain the conventional way
  • At "light use" setting, I need to refill the unit every 500km or so, which on longer day trips means I need to do it "during" the trip and it actually waste's time
  • Different temperature ranges require different viscosity oils or you have to change the settings on the unit constantly. You may also need to change the type of oil for different conditions such as sand (don;t want a clingy oil) compared to road use
  • Your backwheel is always a mess with oil drops and dust (as is you number plate and mudguard)
  • When you reverse teh bike, the little feeder pipe tends to hook onto the sprocke or chain and it can actually misallign and not oil the chain. I've also "lost" the little pipe twice and have no idea where it went, but the insert from a Bic pen works well as a replacement

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #1375
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

chainlube

I've been testing all kinds of automatic oilers and with an over-year mileage of 20.000 km (12.500 miles) I consider them as a big ripp-off. Had them all: Scottie, CLS200, etc etc.

That doesn't say that they are that bad, but the 'fairytale' that an auto-oiler expands the lifespan of a chain and sprocket is rubbish.

Some facts about chain maintenance on the Varadero:

- I NEVER clean my chain
- I ALWAYS lube the chain every 1.000 km / 650 mls (under normal conditions)
- I ALWAYS lube the chain every 500 km / 300 mls (under rough conditions like dust, rain, winter, etc)
- I ALWAYS lube the chain after a long ride, when the chain is still 'expanded' due to its friction heat
- I NEVER lube the chain when the chain is cold
- I ALWAYS lube the chain on the inside - never on the outside.
- I PREFER Motul Chain lube OFFROAD from the spray can (CFK free of course... ;) ) because it gives the best result without covering the entire rear parts of the bike in oil.

Doing so, I easily get an mileage of 30.000 / 40.000 km (18.500-25.000 mls) on a set of chain and sprockets. But you have to replace the front sprocket at 30.000 km / 20.000 mls anyway.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #1376
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post

That doesn't say that they are that bad, but the 'fairytale' that an auto-oiler expands the lifespan of a chain and sprocket is rubbish.

+1.

I forget to add that and can also add that "other" people claim to get 40kkm on an AT chain, whilst I get 20kkm with or without an Scott-oiler installed. I already have 30kkm om the Varadero's chain with only normal lubeing

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #1377
davidgibson999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I bought the Scottoiler e-System which is very easy to install (plug and play) and you get a display mounted on the handlebar for adjusting flow at the touch of a button.
My last chain and sprocket set did 19000 miles but the chain broke due to a stone getting into a link so I don't know how much more life I would have got. The jury is still out....
davidgibson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #1378
RTW
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Chainlube

Thank you all for your input. Two Plugs... I feel I may have erred by the way I introduced/barged into this thread. My apologies. I'm new to this type of conversation. Don't want to step on anyones toes.
My bike experience is with a shaft drive (ST 1300 A ). I am retiring end of Dec. and leaving next Sept for my RTW trip. Thanks again to all for the info and your patience with a newbie. I'm far better with motorcycles than computers ! - RTW Al
RTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #1379
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW View Post
Thank you all for your input. Two Plugs... I feel I may have erred by the way I introduced/barged into this thread. My apologies. I'm new to this type of conversation. Don't want to step on anyones toes.
My bike experience is with a shaft drive (ST 1300 A ). I am retiring end of Dec. and leaving next Sept for my RTW trip. Thanks again to all for the info and your patience with a newbie. I'm far better with motorcycles than computers ! - RTW Al
Don't feel that way, RTW! Every posting on a Forum is a valuable one... Without them, an community like this would bleed to dead...!

Enjoy your retirement! I envy you... I still have 30 more years to go before I can even think of getting retired...

Keep us posted on your RTW trip, Al. Would love to read your updates here and at www.varadero-international.com!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #1380
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Don't feel that way, RTW! Every posting on a Forum is a valuable one... Without them, an community like this would bleed to dead...!

Enjoy your retirement! I envy you... I still have 30 more years to go before I can even think of getting retired...

Keep us posted on your RTW trip, Al. Would love to read your updates here and at www.varadero-international.com!
Have a great trip RTW! I think the Varadero would be a great bike for RTW adventure. Ride safely and have a great time!
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote