Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #151
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wylde
Great write-up, and very timely. I am presently on the verge of buying something; either a Tiger or a GS1200Adventure. I like both. That said, I am 6'8" tall, so the bigger the better. I am currently leaning towards a Tiger. I understand there are peg options that will lower the pegs an inch. Any thoughts for a taller guy?
Your 6"8"...WTF??? Over?????

I'm ONLY 5'7" I have enough trouble reaching the ground on my Tiger.

To be honest, sit on a Tiger and then sit on an Adventurer. If I was 6'8 I'd probably be on a Adventurer. Sat on one once.....got a nose bleed.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #152
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Tall Guys bike choices

If you are seriously tall, the GSAdventure might be the bike. I am not qualified to opine on the 1050 Tiger (sat on one and fit well, but no mileage) but I had two of the 955i Tigers and switched to the Adventure after one sit. The BMW 1150 doesn't fit really tall riders well at all--knees will hit the gastank crease.

I rode a Uly last week and it fit me fine. But I am only 6'6" (36" inseam) so your fit may differ. You might want to contact Longtallsally for another tall opinion.

Highjack over.

Hi George.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #153
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wylde
Great write-up, and very timely. I am presently on the verge of buying something; either a Tiger or a GS1200Adventure. I like both. That said, I am 6'8" tall, so the bigger the better. I am currently leaning towards a Tiger. I understand there are peg options that will lower the pegs an inch. Any thoughts for a taller guy?
I don't know about lower pegs, but I know Triumph offers taller seats for the Tiger.
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #154
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallerman
If you are seriously tall, the GSAdventure might be the bike. I am not qualified to opine on the 1050 Tiger (sat on one and fit well, but no mileage) but I had two of the 955i Tigers and switched to the Adventure after one sit. The BMW 1150 doesn't fit really tall riders well at all--knees will hit the gastank crease.

I rode a Uly last week and it fit me fine. But I am only 6'6" (36" inseam) so your fit may differ. You might want to contact Longtallsally for another tall opinion.

Highjack over.

Hi George.
Hey Cordell, what's shakin?
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #155
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist
Hey Cordell, what's shakin?
Well, that Uly, for one thing. Shook both the mirrors loose off their mounts.

How dangerous are you on that new Tiger?

Race you to the Kanc! HiJak over
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #156
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
Hey guys, shameless but I decided to go back to the stock exhaust so if anyone is looking for a TOR for their Tiger, mine is for sale.

Here's the thread in Flea Market.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #157
xmonger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Demo'd a 2008 Tiger at my dealer yesterday.

ADV Rider Shortest Review: FANTASTIC Bike! Well sorted out of the box. 1050 Triple is the best motor ever!

I'm in love, but also value concious (read cheap). Can't see myself shelling out the new asking price. (in part due to tbe USD becoming new Peso these days )

Might need to wait another season for the used market to make the pricing more attractive. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through others. Please keep posting.
xmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #158
The Jerk OP

I don't think you need to wait that long, there are a few '07s for sale in the Flea Market here and over on tiger1050.com at reasonable prices. Go make it happen man!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #159
Jamming
Desert RAT

Dude...make it happen!!!!!!!

I hammered out 500 miles yesterday. Twisties, freeway, 2 lane...everything but a dirt road. Thats next months ride.

The Tiger is a GREAT traveler. 3000 miles in the 4 weeks I've had her. I cannot say enough good things about the bike.

90 MPH cruise...no problem. Great stock seat....BMW are you listening? Decent wind protection out of the box, the Zero Gravity Sport Touring shield will be here in a few weeks.

The ergos are fine for me stock.

Only downside is....she attracts attention...UNWANTED attention...if you get my drift

Leave it to me to find the hangout for the Troopers.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #160
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRamjet
Dude...make it happen!!!!!!!

I hammered out 500 miles yesterday. Twisties, freeway, 2 lane...everything but a dirt road. Thats next months ride.

The Tiger is a GREAT traveler. 3000 miles in the 4 weeks I've had her. I cannot say enough good things about the bike.

90 MPH cruise...no problem. Great stock seat....BMW are you listening? Decent wind protection out of the box, the Zero Gravity Sport Touring shield will be here in a few weeks.

The ergos are fine for me stock.
Hey Rog,
What kind of mpg are you seeing? I just finished breaking mine in, but it is in the mid to high 30's so far. Some of that is no doubt due to my strong right wrist (and my parents told me I'd go blind, ha, what were they thinking? ), and I'm sure our oxygenated fuel, colder temps, etc. has an effect. I'm just curious what you are seeing in AZ. I'm hoping one of the windshields I have on order helps, on the interstate I feel like a sail as the air catches my shoulders with the stock one, no doubt affecting my mileage. I haven't done a solid tank of steady riding yet, all of it has been on local roads at no more than 75-100 miles a trip. Teaching the MSF classes has seriously cut into my ability and desire to get away and ride the Tiger this spring!

I'll second that the Tiger is a wonderful bike. It does everything I want a bike to do.............and more! I'm looking to start piling the miles on in mid-May.

George
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #161
firerigger
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
Even with a heavy right hand I still get high 40's. If I ride smooth, I get mid 50's.

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Save yourself (and me!) money at SmugMug: Coupon code YE2eMDKcBDhGY
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #162
The Jerk OP

I keep track of my mileage in a spreadsheet because I'm a nerd. The lowest mileage I regularly get is just over 33 mpg when I'm riding around in the city.
Lot of idling, traffic lights, etc.

Highest mileage I've gotten so far was 43.17. This of course mostly on the highway. I calculate my mileage directly, the on-board computer is not accurate enough to use for mpg calculations.

Of course most of my miles so far have been in the cooler weather when the bike tends to run richer until it warms up. Also I had the TOR on there for a while and the freer flowing exhaust could have caused the O2 sensor to adjust the mixture to make it richer. I just put the stock pipe back on so we'll see if mileage changes.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #163
Jamming
Desert RAT

Yo MC...

I'm seeing about 45 to 50 on premium fuel...city-hiway. I ride a lot of hispeed freeway everyday on the commute. She sees at least 90 indicated everyday. Its a 75 MPH limit out where I live. If you go below 85, you get run over.

So far so good. I saw 58 MPH on the instant mileage on the computer. Made me laugh out loud ...I was going about 110 at the time so ah...I think its optimistic at best.

My fuel gage is about worthless, need to get by the dealer for an update thats supposed to fix it. It tells me 0 miles to go...at 140 miles...one time, next time its spot on. I use the trip meter as a gage. That yellow light bugs me....might pull the lamp

Geoge...you need to ride out Arizona way. Some good riding here.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #164
steven5437
n00b

Oddometer: 3
08 model

Hi fellas

my only gripe is the poor headlights
there seems to be something missing or a chance to fit a narrow/pencil light in the triangular gap between the headlights

also
found some MPG info
http://www.adrianmolloy.com/1050_Extras_Tuning.html

hmm...insects really like blazing orange
Attached Images

steven5437 screwed with this post 04-29-2008 at 08:26 AM
steven5437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #165
droopydawg
needs a shower

Oddometer: 91
Mid 50s mpg for me, commuting in Atl traffic. I even saw the guage go over 90mpg on a trip once. And I was quite impressed with what the Tiger can do with hard packed gravel and limited wash-out Colorado mountian roads. When the Pilots are done for, I will go with Dunlops D616.
droopydawg is offline   Reply With Quote