Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #16
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
The only thing that all triumphs are missing are emergency lights. They are a must on the bike.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,480
Agreed, the bike definitely needs some sort of emergency flashers.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #18
isldtime
The oldest kid I know

Oddometer: 116
Quote.

Perhaps the engine computer is still adapting to my riding style. This morning it required some serious cranking -- it was cold last night. I held the button down for 3-4 seconds but it didn't go. Hit it again and cracked the throttle and it fired right up. Maybe I just need to let it get a few more cranks in. I'm used to the GS firing up on the first or second crank. I'll try that next time.

Mine has always been that way on cool mornings. I always wait till the fuel pump stops,hit the button,It fires then stalls, 2nd. try it lites up with perfect idle. Just a routine I'm used to. No Problem

isldtime screwed with this post 12-01-2007 at 06:21 PM
isldtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #19
kujo411
r1150gs

Oddometer: 106
yo

I test rode one of these and they are fast! The side stand looks like a tooth pick though and the fit and finish just can't match the gs. The quality of the german engineering is top notch. I ride a r1150gs. That being said, this may just be my next bike. My only concern is the passenger seat. I take my soon-to-be wife on long trips and the passenger seat just doesn't look like it could be comfortable. Kinda looks like a crotch rocket seat. I will be in the dog house if I buy a bike with an uncomfortable seat and it may just put an end to my wonderful trips! Any comment there??
kujo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #20
MIUC
From Dirt To Pavement

Oddometer: 148
Wow!

sjbartnik, you are definitely in love.

Thanks for the pics. All of them.

The cases look big. It is amazing the left case won’t take a FS helmet and the top case only takes it sideways. Design?

Rincewind, thanks for the comment about 2-up. The rear of this bike seems very steep. In the pics posted by sjbartnik the side cases look fine, but the top case looks a bit up there. More of a concern is the passenger being up there also.

I guess as soon as one can make the rear end work, all is good, cause the rest of it looks awesome.

Pre 07 Tigers have emergency lights. At least my 06 has them.

Very Nice, sjbartnik.
MIUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #21
Rincewind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
My previous Triumph (01) had emergency flashers as well. It's unfortunate they don't have them any more.

Thanks for the comments on the crash bars, sjbartnik. Those bars have gotten good reviews by others, but I'm not totally sold on them as it looks like they impede access to the engine covers. I may get a set of Hepco and Becker guards instead, which don't go back as far, and have a cross bar under the oil cooler. I'm still thinking about it.

MIUC, the bike's rear looks high in these pics because the bike is up on the center stand. Once you are loaded 2-up, the bike squats down. It doesn't seem nearly as high, and my wife says it's fine, not nearly as bad as she thought it would be. Here is a pic 2-up from when I fitted my rack and Givi a few months back.

Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #22
Koplen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Grasshopper

To me, that bike looks like an alien or a praying mantis. Do I want to ride around town on the back of a grasshopper?
1990 BMW K100RS
2007 Ducati GT1000 Two-tone with Termignoni Pipes
Koplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #23
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIUC

The cases look big. It is amazing the left case won’t take a FS helmet and the top case only takes it sideways. Design?

The bags are very small. very small. I just got some used and I'm really happy with them, but, they are extremely small. Put it this way, my one piece rain suit fills the entire right case! As in, nothing else fits in there. Hard to believe, but, true. There aren't any other bags on the market at this point that even look remotely "right" on this bike. they all look horrible. the define the word "aftermarket". these at least look good, and, fit the lines of the bike. I don't travel two up, so, it's a nonissue for me.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #24
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,171
Triumph, like most mfgrs, tends to gear their bikes too tall for noise/emission tests. Going down one tooth on the front sprocket will put a bit more pep in her step, but not make much of a increase in RPMs on the highway. One of the benefits of a chain drive. Just re-adjust chain and ride. Best $50 you can spend on the bike IMO. Putting a larger rear sprocket is an option, but probably requires a longer chain.

The Tiger sits on my short list for the spring. I really want a KTM 990 Supermoto, but the bastards aren't importing it to the US for 2008. So a Tiger with topcase, centerstand and upgraded suspension is the next best thing. I really liked my Sprint RS aside from the cheap suspenders. Triples are great engines.

Thanks for the comprehensive post!
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #25
The Jerk OP

I thought about engine cover access with the SW Motech bars. After installation it looks like you should still be able to get to them. But I haven't tried so I don't know for sure.

Garry, I can't imagine needing more power than she already has! I was previously thinking about getting the TOR tune loaded into the bike by the dealer but now I'm not so sure I want it. It's got more than enough power already. Maybe as I become more comfortable with it I may change my mind but you already have to be careful so as not to give yourself an unintentional burst of acceleration when you go over a big bump, or sneeze.

I think the rear end looks steeper than it actually is. The rear of the bike angles up pretty severely which I think makes it kind of an optical illusion with the passenger seat. that plus the angle of the bags kind of reinforces that illusion. The passenger seat is slightly angled but it's not nearly as steep as the rear end of the bike, as you can see in Rincewind's photo above.

The Tiger looks really tall at the rear end especially with the top case on but just eyeballing it, it's only slightly taller up on the centerstand than the GS was, and that height is mainly in the top case.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #26
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
The only thing that all triumphs are missing are emergency lights. They are a must on the bike.

Hazard lights? My Tiger has em.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #27
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos

Hazard lights? My Tiger has em.
'07 Tiger? If so, what's the magical thing you have to do to turn 'em on? 'Cause I don't have a switch for them.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #28
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbartnik
'07 Tiger? If so, what's the magical thing you have to do to turn 'em on? 'Cause I don't have a switch for them.
Sorry bubb, i have the "outdated" 05.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #29
The Jerk OP

Damn I was wondering if there was some turn signal cheat code like on a PS2. Up down up down left right left right triangle square - bam, emergency flashers

Seriously though that seems like a weird feature to delete.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #30
Rincewind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
A number of owners, including myself, have found those engine bolts need a bit of tightening. Hopefully it's not an issue with your bars.

Have you ridden twisty dark roads yet? It's bad if you're by yourself with no other light. As you lean, that side of the headlight beam dips and you're left with a pretty dark corner. I used some fork mounted aux lights I had on my last bike and they provide good ambient light of corners. To me auxiliary lighting is necessary with this bike. I ride with them on in the daytime, too, as the projector beam isn't visible from all angles.
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote