Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #46
ratmunch
jackass extraordinaire

Oddometer: 98
By the way, nice bike, almost bought one myself, but decided on a Daytona instead.
ratmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #47
GeoDiablo
compulsive troublemaker

Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbartnik

Yeah, scared about life, that must be it. I can't think of a single other reason why one might want emergency flashers on a bike.

Based on your post, I'm guessing that in your 30-some years of riding you also haven't found a use for other basic safety equipment like a headlight, taillight, turn signals, helmet, gloves, etc. Because, you know, that would indicate that you were scared about life or something.
I'd like an extra large bowl of sarcasm please.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #48
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmunch
I just think flashers are silly. I use headlights, tail lights, sometimes even turn signals, but never emergency flashers. I also use a helmet, gloves, jacket with armor and boots, but again not flashers. Where have you actually had a need to use them sjbartnik.
There's a reason why every car comes with emergency flashers. When used the flashers effectively broadcast the fact that the vehicle is stopped to other road users and help prevent a collision. This is even more important for a motorcycle, which is far less conspicuous, especially at night. Of course, you could use your turn signal, but other road users might think that the vehicle is still in motion and merely turning. Also, to use the turn signal you've got to have the key switched on, which for many bikes means that the headlight is still on and draining the battery. Or you have to leave the bike idling, wasting gas or inviting overheating on air-cooled bikes. Flashers usually work with the key in the P position or without the key in the bike at all if they were turned on when the key was removed.

I use flashers whenever I pull over to the side of the road, whether it's to check a map, wait for a slower riding buddy or deal with something on the bike.

On a side note, flashers have gained a secondary usage here in Japan. When people want to say "thanks" to another driver, for instance after being let into traffic they hit their flashers for a second. Ditto when they want to say sorry after doing something stupid. It really does make drivers on the receiving end feel better.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #49
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,862
Quote:
I just think flashers are silly. I use headlights, tail lights, sometimes even turn signals, but never emergency flashers. I also use a helmet, gloves, jacket with armor and boots, but again not flashers. Where have you actually had a need to use them sjbartnik.
I use them almost daily, whenever I stop on the side of the road, when
I come to work and have to do about 100 meters on the pavement etc..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #50
ratmunch
jackass extraordinaire

Fair enough, was just wondering and I didn't mean to upset the tightly wound ones.

RM
Old 12-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #51
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Why does any bike need emergency flashers?

I often use the emergency flashers on my bike just like I used them in the car. If I'm running down the interstate and come upon one of those dead stand still traffic backups during rush hour, or everyone starts hitting the brakes hard, I will turn on my emergency flashers for the guy behind me, who may be day dreaming, and not expecting to go from 80mph to 10mph in the next few seconds.

Do it in my truck, and do it on my bike.

I am not afraid of life, but I am afraid of that guy behind me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #52
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Everyone explained very well exactly why I would want flashers on a bike. I used them often here in the city on the GS as well. Here it seems like putting on your flashers is universally understood to mean you are pulling over to the side to park so please go around and don't get right up on my ass as I stop.

Seems to work pretty well. I used them whenever I had to pull over, fiddle with a map, pick up/drop off a passenger, etc. The heavy braking in highway traffic use was always good too. Speaking of which, I wonder if Gizmomill makes a Brake! module for the Tiger. I'm guessing not.

I used to use the flashers as well if I was on a busy street and needed to park in between some parallel-parked cars. Was good to just let traffic know that I was about to do something unexpected. Important when you've got a dollar van on your ass!

BTW the thing above your avatar said "unlimited sarcasm" so I thought you could handle a little bit.

The Jerk screwed with this post 12-18-2007 at 07:06 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #53
ratmunch
jackass extraordinaire

Quote:
BTW the thing above your avatar said "unlimited sarcasm" so I thought you could handle a little bit
I'm more of a giver than taker . It's all good, have fun, ride safe and have a great holiday.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #54
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,955
Great writeup. Good to read a direct comparison betweentwo similar bikes from one owner. Being fair to both bikes and well-written is a plus as well.

Good luck on the Tiger. Looks like 2008 will be fun.
hillbillypolack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #55
Pissnboots
chingfa kelossuf

Oddometer: 54
That's a fine lookin' ride you have there. Where do you like to ride in the NYC area? I am planning a trip back that way (Connecticut) for the spring, and would be interested in hooking up with some local riders, and would be delighted to return the favor. (I'm in Virginia).
Pissnboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:31 AM   #56
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by sands
My wife and I were at a multi line European bike shop and a guy just bought a new triumph tiger...He went outside to start it and go home after his purchase and the bike would not start after several attempts...It was also fairly cold, probably in the low 40's.....
I rode my 07 till the snow started flying (four and a half feet of the stuff right now) in temps as low as 12F. If I rolled the throttle on just a bit before pressing the starter it fired right up. If not, it just cranked.

Can't wait till next May when the snow is all gone!
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #57
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 856
Tiger review

The 1050 is simply an interation of hte 955i and is a solid motor design. Valves really dont need adjustng until 18K or even 20K despite the 12K interval called out. I rode a 955 for 25K miles and never got used ot the fit and finish issues of my past K1200RS. It always seemed cheap looking and things corroded a bit and plastic started showing age even though it was garaged and waxed frequently. It was a fu bike to ride , needed more motor, being only slighly quickler than my friends 1150GS. It never left me stranded (alike my new 07 GSA /fuel controller issue) . Triumphs basically look like a Jap bike design wise and I've seem quite a few high mile Tigers out there (70-90K) that were running strong. I think the 10,000-11,000 or so price tag on the new Tiger makes it a bargin, having spent 19.5 for a fully equiped GSA recently.

I wold not mind another and would like to feel the difference with the 1050 motor. Finally, even the earlier ones that looked like big DS bikes were not dirt bikes AT ALL. The GS actually handles gravel rodes very nicely at speed.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #58
Groucho
Hexhead Hoon

Oddometer: 470
Excellent writeup!

Love the 1050 Tiger... it came down to a Tiger or a Sprint ST in my selection matrix, and it came down to the 1050 Sprint purely by the fact that they've been around a little longer and thus are more plentiful (read: cheaper) on the used market.

Very cool bikes, and the Trumpet Triple is an amazing motor.

2008 BMW R1200GSA Schnellpanzerkampfmotorrad
1977 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 FB
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #59
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,662
Can anyone dare to elaborate how is Tiger on the dirt roads with knobbies on? I see a lot of older model tigers playing in the dirt, but not the 1050.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #60
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Can anyone dare to elaborate how is Tiger on the dirt roads with knobbies on? I see a lot of older model tigers playing in the dirt, but not the 1050.
I don't think you'll fit knobbies under that front fender.

That said there is this guy who took his on some gravel stuff in France:

If you stick around to the middle of the video, when he gets to the top of the gravel road then there is some good on-pavement stuff too.