User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Night Train OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
A Motorcycle and a Honeymoon That Spanned Two Continents

More than 70 years before "Long Way Round", this couple rode from Poland to China on their BSA powered sidecar rig for their honeymoon. It took them almost two years to complete the journey due to a number of hardships, but in the end, they made it all the way to Shanghai. Their photos and journals were recently published, but unfortunately the book is written in Polish...

Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,936
That just might have been the ultimate test of a marriage.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
M37cdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
That just might have been the ultimate test of a marriage.
I don't know..... Ben Carlin might have that guy beat, he and his new bride crossed the Atlantic ocean in an amphibious Jeep, then drove from England to India on basically the same route
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Carlin
M37cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
More than 70 years before "Long Way Round", this couple rode from Poland to China on their BSA powered sidecar rig for their honeymoon. It took them almost two years to complete the journey due to a number of hardships, but in the end, they made it all the way to Shanghai. Their photos and journals were recently published, but unfortunately the book is written in Polish...

Very cool...
I treated my new Wife to a "Honeymoon" across Mt. / Wy. on a 1971 Honda 500-4. Got caught in an Aug. snow storm in Grand Teton.
She has put up with my M' Cycle Madness now for 33 years.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,385
Not quite up to the same standards of adventure, but impressive none the less...

Last year I spoke to an older gent, with a nice old Douglas flat twin, who went on to recall a story of his honeymoon, not long after the second world war. So I guess it would be late forties, early fifties, he had just got married and bought a Douglas flat twin from a dealer in London, and then he and his new bride, promptly set off for Monaco.
Now this in itself may not sound that daring, but you have to remember how Europe was left after the war, there was no infrastructure, the roads and railways were all but destroyed, no garages, very little fuel, food rationing, the list goes on.
Anyway they headed to Portsmouth where the Douglas was loaded onto a freighter by crane (no ferries back then) and was again unloaded in France, where they then headed south. With very little money, and no chance of recovery, the bike ran well just getting one puncture as I recall. On finally arriving at Monaco, they were surprised to be met by two police motorcycle outriders, who led them with lights flashing and sirens blazing through the heart of Monaco, and straight through the gates of the Royal Palace, where they were given a civic reception. Apparently word had got out of their journey from England, and they were in fact the first tourist to visit Monaco following the war.

After a short visit to the principality, they then turned around and came home again.

I told the guy he should write a book of his trip, but he never seemed to think it was that big of a deal.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote