Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #361
Snot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'ma lurker! I came across this thread while searching for info and pics on a 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado I inherited and was going to bring back to life but was overwhelmed by all the parts and cost of doing so. So far I've just been staring at it. But here she is. Sorry for the thread jack.

Snot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #362
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Looks like the 74 I brought home. Looks like you have all the parts. If your not into doing a full restoration , just go through it and see what it needs, it may need only new seals and gaskets, if it has the original chrome bores you can have a cast iron sleeve put in with matching set of rings for iron bore for a lot less then new cylinders.
My paint and body work look nice so I'm just painting the frame and fixing up the rest, trying not to go over broad.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #363
Snot
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
Looks like the 74 I brought home. Looks like you have all the parts. If your not into doing a full restoration , just go through it and see what it needs, it may need only new seals and gaskets, if it has the original chrome bores you can have a cast iron sleeve put in with matching set of rings for iron bore for a lot less then new cylinders.
My paint and body work look nice so I'm just painting the frame and fixing up the rest, trying not to go over broad.
I've never in my life restored anything so I don't even know if I want to attempt it. Might just put it on ebay or something and be done with it and put the money towards a nice FJR. Currently own an 04 zx10, but looking to switch it up and do some traveling.
Snot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #364
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot View Post
I've never in my life restored anything so I don't even know if I want to attempt it. Might just put it on ebay or something and be done with it and put the money towards a nice FJR. Currently own an 04 zx10, but looking to switch it up and do some traveling.
This is no thread-jack.
You do need to fill out your profile so I can determine how far
I'll have to travel to pick up an EASY restoration on a beautiful bike.
Buy the modern "appliance" if you must. Just be forwarned that selling the
Eldorado will cause sellers remorse before long.
The following quote from back when I started my restoration:
"when you're done it'll run better than a new vintage and have way more class"
Thanks, Ural Dog, for the inspiration!

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #365
Turdell
Stig

Oddometer: 62
looks good Snot

Yeah, bring that thing back to life. If not then drop me a line I might be interested in bringing it back. I am working on a 1976 T3 right now that came out of a barn and is in worse shape than yours.

Good Luck.
Turdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #366
dirtydan
Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer: 255
75 mg

I just got this Moto Guzzi last feb. I have a few easy questions. As no one around here has a bike like this im going Internet with my.question
Its a 1975 850T with a deep oil pan. The dip stick is from a smaller pan. . So it holds about 4 quarts of oil but only shows a small amount of oil on stick . So if i was to ride this thing a long way and use 1/2 Qt of oil it would most likely not even show on the stick . I hope to weld on a extender to the stick. Im wondering how long and where to file marks on the stick. I hope this makes some sort of sense,

Or am I the dip stick?

Dan
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #367
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 314
Buy a longer dipstick.

Sorted!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #368
Ddouble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post
I just got this Moto Guzzi last feb. I have a few easy questions. As no one around here has a bike like this im going Internet with my.question
Its a 1975 850T with a deep oil pan. The dip stick is from a smaller pan. . So it holds about 4 quarts of oil but only shows a small amount of oil on stick . So if i was to ride this thing a long way and use 1/2 Qt of oil it would most likely not even show on the stick . I hope to weld on a extender to the stick. Im wondering how long and where to file marks on the stick. I hope this makes some sort of sense,

Or am I the dip stick?

Dan
An 850T should take 3 liters of oil, or right around 3-1/2 quarts. I believe that the purpose of the deep sump is not really to increase oil capacity, but to reduce crankshaft windage and pumping losses. So I would recommend draining the oil, put in the proper amount (3-1/2 qts), and mark your longer dipstick at that indicated level. Does that make sense?
Ddouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #369
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Get that bike on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot View Post
Just get it back on the road! You can have more fun than you might have on an FJR, at half the speed. Parts may seem a little pricey, but don't aim for perfection, just roadworthyness.

I bought this basket case for the front wheel and as a parts bike. With a bit of paint, a new exhaust valve, a new clutch and a few other cheapish parts (exhausts and shocks from a bike wrecker >$100), its back on the road. I've posted this elsewhere, but it looks like you need some emotional support.

Click here to see what it looked like before I played with it.
http://www.adamsheritage.info/cali.htm

Have faith. You can do it. It's worth it.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #370
dirtydan
Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddouble View Post
An 850T should take 3 liters of oil, or right around 3-1/2 quarts. I believe that the purpose of the deep sump is not really to increase oil capacity, but to reduce crankshaft windage and pumping losses. So I would recommend draining the oil, put in the proper amount (3-1/2 qts), and mark your longer dipstick at that indicated level. Does that make sense?
Yes it makes good sense. Im going to do just that. Thank you.

I am also looking to buy a side stand for this , I dont have a clue as to where to look. Any advise would be welcome.

Dan
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #371
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post
Yes it makes good sense. Im going to do just that. Thank you.

I am also looking to buy a side stand for this , I dont have a clue as to where to look. Any advise would be welcome.

Dan
Um, no, don't do that. The standard amount of oil in a deeper sump will lower the level of oil. The oil pickup tube is at a fixed height and if it sucks air, that's a bad thing. If you want to run the stock 3.6 liters you'll have to extend the pickup tube and the dipstick.

The stock sidestand for the 850-T sucks, but can be had here.

Good luck & HTH
Sean
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #372
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
I see there is a Eldorado on the MGNOC site.
Bargain ?

Quote:
Both bikes in Good condition and were running fine when stored inside, 4 years ago. Eldo is Police Special,lots of chrome, tank needs paint $2800.oo....
The original speedometer for the Eldorado I bought was in a box of original parts sent down by the previous owner,it will be interesting to see what things look like based on the low mileage and general condition of the bike.
With some luck (two bike projects underway already) the top end will come off this weekend.

Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #373
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,188
Do you like the bike?

How much do you want for that thing, as a down payment for the next thing?....

[QUOTE=Snot;17397105]I'ma lurker! I came across this thread while searching for info and pics on a 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado I inherited and was going to bring back to life but was overwhelmed by all the parts and cost of doing so. So far I've just been staring at it. But here she is. Sorry for the thread jack.

danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #374
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
Um, no, don't do that. The standard amount of oil in a deeper sump will lower the level of oil. The oil pickup tube is at a fixed height and if it sucks air, that's a bad thing. If you want to run the stock 3.6 liters you'll have to extend the pickup tube and the dipstick.

The stock sidestand for the 850-T sucks, but can be had here.

Good luck & HTH
Sean
Are the older motors different?
My Guzzis have the oil pickup attached to the sump, not the crankcase.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #375
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
Are the older motors different?
My Guzzis have the oil pickup attached to the sump, not the crankcase.
Oil-filter models pick up oil thru the sump, but pre-oil-filter models have a pick-up that hangs down like a car.