Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #376
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by F_Sahms View Post
Oil-filter models pick up oil thru the sump, but pre-oil-filter models have a pick-up that hangs down like a car.

And to be fair, his T may be one of the units that rolled off the line with a filter, or the PO may have added the filter via an updated sump and crankcase modifications. My recco would be to drain the oil, pull the sump and see what's up under her skirt.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #377
Ddouble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

And to be fair, his T may be one of the units that rolled off the line with a filter, or the PO may have added the filter via an updated sump and crankcase modifications. My recco would be to drain the oil, pull the sump and see what's up under her skirt.
Thanks, Sean. I was just about to ask that same question.

And to DirtyDan, I apologize for giving you some potentially bad advice on a subject I thought I was knowledgeable enough to comment on. Sean's a "pro" with a lot of experience. He knows what he is talking about. I'm glad he chimed in.

I suppose I ASSumed that the deep sump was installed with the pick-up in the correct location.
Ddouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #378
dirtydan
Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer: 250
Thanks for pointing a few things out. I just got off the phone with the guy who put the deep sump on the bike . If I understand correct , the deep sump is more for oil control not Xtra oil capacity. So OK.. And this is a late 75 and had a oil filter from factory.
I changed the oil and filter early spring . I put in 4 Quarts .

I will sort this out.

But what I need to do , and dont want to, is get a side stand rigged up , The pipes are not stock so a regular bolt up will not work.

Two fresh tires and tubes will be on the way

Thanks
Dan
Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #379
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post

Dan
Quote:
But what I need to do , and dont want to, is get a side stand rigged up , The pipes are not stock so a regular bolt up will not work.

Thanks
Dan
Dan,
Yes it will.... Those head piped wil not keep you from installing a stock T, T-3, SP, LeMans or G-5 stand. The heavier police stand may give you fits but that is a mod to the lower frame rail. In fact, you will need a different lower frame rail for that one as the mount s part of the G-5 lower rail.

So, go check out Flea Bay, those side stands come up often...

The oil capacity is 3 liters. Period. Or you will get oil misting from the breather.

Best,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #380
dirtydan
Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer: 250
Thanks Rob, thats good news. I was told no stock set up would work. In going to start looking for something.

Other than Guzziology, can you name a good shop manual for the 850. ? Guzziology is a great book but its on loan and I will need to return soon.

Dan
Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #381
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Thanks Rob, thats good news. I was told no stock set up would work. In going to start looking for something.

Other than Guzziology, can you name a good shop manual for the 850. ? Guzziology is a great book but its on loan and I will need to return soon.

Dan

Dan,
Unfortunatly there are not a great deal of tech manuals out there for Guzzis... the old stand by is available

There are also some free downloadable manuals out there and ebay has some NOS stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Moto%20Guzzi%20850%20LeMans%20additi ons%20Workshop%20Manual%20V7%20Sport%20750S%20850T %20&_itemId=290636883529

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #382
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I found this old guzzi in a barn 3 weeks ago ... 1979 v1000 g5 police model.. my very first moto guzzi, i have ridden bmw for 25 years.. hope this turns out to be fun..http://
Old 09-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #383
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerdave View Post
I found this old guzzi in a barn 3 weeks ago ...
I'd love to find a barn that's hiding something like that. Maybe one day, eh?

Enjoy ...
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #384
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

there is so much to learn about this bike, it has been setting over 25 years and everything needs something..i got to ride it in a poker run last sunday and everyone wanted to know what it was.. not many bikes like this in Kentucky also my first time with floorboards..
Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #385
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

one more picture of this old bike.. now to find http://parts
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #386
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
G5

I'm glad to see you are riding it. It looks perfect just the way it is. Too many of these fine old bikes fall prey to 'cafeitus' - sometimes it works out well; mostly it doesn't.

I thought I would hate the floorboards on my 74 California - but much to my surprise I find I really like them. They are in a sensible and comfortable position - not out there by the front wheel like on those daft cruisers.

Enjoy it. You have a fabulous bike.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #387
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

this old bike has 9 thousand miles on it.. by most bike standards this bike is new and really needs a chance to prove it self, the air cleaner is a bitch to get off and put back.. there might be a trick but never found it.. i am sure all the fluids need changing.. next step is a manual... lots of things i need to know... i'm gonna ride it..
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #388
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
this old bike has 9 thousand miles on it.. by most bike standards this bike is new and really needs a chance to prove it self, the air cleaner is a bitch to get off and put back.. there might be a trick but never found it.. i am sure all the fluids need changing.. next step is a manual... lots of things i need to know... i'm gonna ride it..
Download a shop manual here:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/m...al_convert.pdf
More info. on the same website: http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto_guzzi_tonti.htm
'77 Yamaha XT500, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #389
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Good on yer dancerdave, you got a peach there....have fun!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #390
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the download MZRider, of the shop manual, and the informational website. I will probably try to fix this thing in good enough shape to ride in the Thanksgiving parades and Christmas parades that they have and then I will do some serious restoration. Any help I can get on good used parts such as headlights, rear shocks, and police crash bars for the rear, just stuff like that. The gear shift and brake rods have rust on them.. any help would be appreciated, thanks.