User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,765
**Dakar Cancelled** The Official Dakar 2008 Updates Thread

I figured I'd start it off since the broadcast schedules just popped up on Versus. I checked TSN for our friends up north, but nothing is posted yet.

*EDIT The TSN Canadian schedules look to show daily updates from 7 to 7:30pm starting on the 6th.

Daily Information:

Dakar
Here
Marathonrally
Raid-Live

Where to listen:

http://www.rallyraidio.net/

Where to watch:

Versus - Same as last year it seems. Half hour updates from 3:30 to 4pm EST starting on January 6th with daily repeats from 6:30 to 7pm EST. So far, one, hour long wrap up is on the schedule for January 27th from 4 to 5pm EST.

Also of course, Eurosport.com

Who to watch:

ADVrider inmates:
Race Number - Entrant - Inmate handle

152 - John Deykes - cagiva900
205 - Christophe Barriere Varju - CBVRacing
117 - Guido Faber - DakarRider
136 - Don Hatton - Destination Dakar
27 - Jonah Street - jonah s
234 - Richard Kaye - kayesport.com
125 - Charlie Rauseo - lastpace
137 - Tod Davidson - spudbashin'ATC

Non-ADVrider's of note:

40 - David Schwartz (AUS) - Supported by Rally Management Services
19 - Martin Macek
Donald Duck's friends 54 - Kemal Merkit and 55 - Kutlu Torunlar from Turkey
93 - Annie Seel (SWE)
41 - Mick Extance (GBR)

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview

doyle screwed with this post 01-01-2008 at 11:22 PM
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
spudbashin'ATC
Challenge Accepted...

Oddometer: 303
Thanks for taking the reins Doyle

Don't forget that I (we) will be making calls to Packmules www.RallyRAIDio.net where you will be able to listen to the (nearly) live updates from us in the field. Nate's gonna post more info and details soon but this might be the place to get the quickest and most accurate updates.....since it'll come right from the horses mouthes.

This was a huge hit IMO during the Baja 1K and has the potential to be even bigger for the Dakar
spudbashin'ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudbashin'ATC
Thanks for taking the reins Doyle

Don't forget that I (we) will be making calls to Packmules www.RallyRAIDio.net where you will be able to listen to the (nearly) live updates from us in the field. Nate's gonna post more info and details soon but this might be the place to get the quickest and most accurate updates.....since it'll come right from the horses mouthes.

This was a huge hit IMO during the Baja 1K and has the potential to be even bigger for the Dakar
Thanks. I updated to includes Nate's link.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Robb Mc
what?

Oddometer: 1,573
And for those of you who can't quite figure out the train wreck that Versus calls a website....

I compiled the times here. Versus TV Schedule
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
Thanks. I updated to includes Nate's link.

Thanks, Doyle. Beez is helping me with the banner art, and the pieces are falling into place. I'm getting nervous, and I'm not even riding!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #6
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,854
does this belong in this thread?

Stéphane Peterhansel « A whole region that I have never been to! »

The record holder of rally victories is this year undertaking his 20th Dakar. An expert on the Sahara, Stéphane Peterhansel details the route and identifies the key points of the 2008 Dakar.

Portugal?
While these may not be the hardest specials in the rally, their interest lies in the technical difficulties they offer. For European specials, they are very comprehensive, they are stages in their own right over which everyone must exercise extreme vigilance.

Morocco?
There is a significant change in the Moroccan stages in comparison with previous years : increased mileage on specials changes the situation. For example, the unaccustomed length of the Nador – Er Rachidia stage will require us to be ready very early. We will be thrown in at the deep end. As for the rest, we know the town stages but there are all the same lots of routes to join them. I do not think there are major traps. I am expecting traditional terrain for the region but it is likely that the staggered starts will be bigger than usual on leaving Morocco.

Mauritania?
This is where the rally really starts. This is the first time we will be spending so much time in Mauritania and I am almost sure new ergs have been found. There is a whole region that I have never been to, even after 20 years taking part in the Dakar, on the Nouakchott-Nouadhibou and Nouadhibou-Atar stages (NDLR : the last time the Dakar visited Nouadhibou, in 1994, Peterhansel was not at the start line). As far as I know there are very high dunes, it will be interesting. Then, the stages where we will not have any assistance will introduce an additional constraint with mechanical problems to be dealt with. As far as we at Mitsubishi are concerned, it is normally in Mauritania that we make the difference.

Senegal?
This year, there should not be a decisive special in Senegal because on the last but one day of racing, where sudden revivals are always possible, the time trials will take place on Mauritanian territory. But arriving in Dakar is always very satisfying and a great relief.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M
does this belong in this thread?
Sure does.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
longear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
We'll miss you at the starting line Chris.You are a big part of the adventure.

Chris and Jonah in the element./elko,ne 2006/
longear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Thumb

Very cool, Miro.

Thanks to Beez, who did the graphic design, I added a great banner shot of Chris at the RallyRAIDio.net website.

Get well, Chris.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
longear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I Made This Video In 2006 ,elko,ne

longear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #11
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Very cool, Miro.

Thanks to Beez, who did the graphic design, I added a great banner shot of Chris at the RallyRAIDio.net website.

Get well, Chris.

Site looks great!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Marc Coma
While his Spanish compatriots are immersed in pre-Christmas stress, Marc Coma is counting down the days until January 5, the beginning of the 30th Dakar Rally. How a favorite in the motorcycle category is preparing for the legendary desert rally, Coma disclosed in an interview.

One month to go before the highlight of the season. How does a day in the life of Marc Coma look right now?

Very busy. Most of the time I spend in Los Monegros, a region similar to the rally’s, about 150 kilometers from my hometown. I do driving and navigation training there. I’m also doing weight and stamina work-outs.

On the bike the trials and tribulations at the Dakar are huge. What influence does physical fitness have on performance?

A very big one. Especially this time. Because the rally is celebrating its 30-year jubilee, the organizers have made it tougher than usual. The stages in Mauretania in particular will be hell. Most people think of a desert as being flat with a few sand dunes – but what lies ahead of us is mountainous terrain and a treacherous combination of sand and course gravel.

What motivating image do you think of when you take on month-long training full of pain and hardship for the Dakar?

I don’t need any motivational help. The training itself makes me happy!

How much would you say your recently won Raids World Championship title says about your chances of winning?

The title is a good omen, but no more than that. Because the championships and the Dakar are really two completely different contests. At the Dakar so many unforeseen things can happen – to be lucky at the right moment is a really important factor for winning.

“If you understand it, the desert can be your friend,” is what you’ve said. Did the friendship suffer any set-backs after your serious accident last year?

No, definitely not. We made a mistake back then and we learned from it. One of the peculiarities of the Dakar is that tiny problems can very quickly become huge ones. But I don’t want to talk about the accident any more. I prefer to look ahead.

How would you describe your relationship to Cyril Despres, who can thank your accident for his victory last year?

Our relationship is great. He’s the favorite, the man to beat this year. I really respect him.

Cyril also talks about you with respect. He says that desert riders are a particular species, because the dangers often necessitate sticking together and competitiveness just falls by the wayside ...

That’s so true. For us it’s about fair play above all else, and in a dangerous situation each one of us can rely on the others. You hardly find this attitude in any other sport.

An attitude that fits well with this reflective season. What do you want for Christmas that might be able to help you at the rally?

Nothing. Because, so close to the race, I won’t have time to celebrate Christmas properly. I mean, of course there’ll be dinner with my family. But more than likely I’ll already be thinking of the Dakar ...

Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
spudbashin'ATC
Challenge Accepted...

Oddometer: 303
That's pretty much my thoughts and how I spend my days as well....

spudbashin'ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
White Knuckles
Insufficient memory

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
Daily Information:

Dakar
This link should be http://www.dakar.com/indexus.html
Old 12-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #15
doyle OP