User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Getting the most from a heated jacket

I've been wearing a Gerbing heated jacket for 4-5 seasons and have frequently observed that it produced a lot of heat, but not much warmth. What I experienced was that the Gerbing produced hot spots...along the arms or back...mostly where the jacket would come into direct contact with me.

I reasoned that if the heat that the jacket is obviously producing was simply transferring through my shell (Aerostich Darien) and into the atmosphere, then this could explain what I've experienced. I thought that if I could add a thin insulating layer over the Gerbing and could trap the heat inside before it reached the 'Stich, maybe I'd experience warmth.

Last week I decided to ride during a 40F day and added a Patagonia Nano Puff pullover over my Gerbing and the difference was stunning. The Nano Puff, which is very thin and super light weight, contains a small amount of synthetic Prima Loft insulation. BINGO...I finally felt so warm I was almost sweating. I had to turn the Gerbing waaay down.

I think the basic idea is sound...add an insulating layer, even a very thin one, over the heated garment and it creates an incredibly warm system.
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Underneath works also in distributing the hot spots but, you do want something keeping the heat in.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Underneath works also in distributing the hot spots but, you do want something keeping the heat in.
Agree. I usually wear a lightweight synthetic base layer..in this case a Patagonia Capilene 2 (polyester baselayer).
Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I think the basic idea is sound...add an insulating layer, even a very thin one, over the heated garment and it creates an incredibly warm system.
I wear a very thin BMW windstopper jacket over my Gerbings and under whatever jacket I'm wearing when it's cold.
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
goldo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Thanks for the heads up, I was out this weekend and while comfortable I felt like too much heat was escaping, I'll try your method.
goldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Chugiak
Lechien

Oddometer: 13
Aerostich Inflatable jacket/vest

Has anybody tried the inflatable jackets that have the same idea it holds the heating coils tight to you to allow the warmth to be held next to you. A little spendy but might be worth the added cost. I have never used any heated gear only the grips which I really liked this past fall in some 20 deg F riding.

We're is the best place to get heated gear?

Lechien
Chugiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #7
Bowhunter119
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugiak View Post
Has anybody tried the inflatable jackets that have the same idea it holds the heating coils tight to you to allow the warmth to be held next to you. A little spendy but might be worth the added cost. I have never used any heated gear only the grips which I really liked this past fall in some 20 deg F riding.

We're is the best place to get heated gear?
I'm a fan of Warm N Safe brand gear. I have the jacket liner and a pair of gloves. All products are well made and shipped extremely fast. I wear an Under Armor Coldgear longsleeve shirt under the jacket liner. Mighty toasty!

Hope that helps.

Ray
Bowhunter119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,214
The perfect concept of a system for me would be
A thin heated liner, made with a windblock shell, no insulation and stretchy side
Designed to be worn over a light to medium weight shirt,
Over that a windblocking, high loft insulating layer and over that the outer shell jacket which is waterproof, breathable and has built in protection.

I've yet to find it.
Most electric liners have too much bulk, since most of them add in an insulation layer.
This bulk works to keep the heat further away from my body.

I want the heat close to my body and a layer of high loft insulation between the heat and the outside air.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,872
I find that the newer Gerbings microwire doesn't get as hot as the old wired jackets. I used to wear a Marmot breathable rain jacket over my Gerbings and under my riding jacket. The old one would get hot and I would have to crank down the heat. With the new microwire it doesn't get hot enough when it is below 50 degrees.

I have started using the insulated jacket liner from my riding jacket instead of the Marmot. Now my microwire jacket gets plenty warm.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
motogluten
#bigtimeadventure

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
The perfect concept of a system for me would be
A thin heated liner, made with a windblock shell, no insulation and stretchy side
Designed to be worn over a light to medium weight shirt,
Over that a windblocking, high loft insulating layer and over that the outer shell jacket which is waterproof, breathable and has built in protection.

I've yet to find it.
Most electric liners have too much bulk, since most of them add in an insulation layer.
This bulk works to keep the heat further away from my body.

I want the heat close to my body and a layer of high loft insulation between the heat and the outside air.
You just described my Powerlet liner to a T. They don't use any insulation, they have stretch panels on the sides and down the bottom of the sleeves, and a coated exterior that blocks the wind. I've been using their infrared stuff for about 4-5 years now and I've never had a issue keeping warm. I wore gerbing before and can definitely remember feeling the hot spots, but not staying warm like the thread starter touched on. With my current liner, I stay warm and comfortable the entire time, and don't even think about it. I have a few different jackets that I wear over it, too.

I noticed that Powerlet recently did some upgrades to their shell, and changed the name of the line to Atomic Skin. I'll be going back to them when it's time to upgrade.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #11
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,761
squish,

Take a look at the warmnsafe stuff:

http://www.warmnsafe.com/all-heated-jacket-liners/

Sarah
Old 02-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #12
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
...I reasoned that if the heat that the jacket is obviously producing was simply transferring through my shell (Aerostich Darien) and into the atmosphere, then this could explain what I've experienced. I thought that if I could add a thin insulating layer over the Gerbing and could trap the heat inside before it reached the 'Stich, maybe I'd experience warmth...
With my gear, that 'insulating layer' is the std. zip-out thermal layer in my jacket, whichever I happen to be wearing. A light or med weight. long-sleeve thermal base layer shirt (I like the ones with the monkey paws) under the electrics helps even out the heat. Med to Heavy weight thermals under my riding pants are enough that I have yet to want electric pants. I don't end up riding much in the dead of winter (unless it's dry and the roads are not salty), but that set up works great for me for as long as needed when I do.
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #13
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 1,048
The Nano Puff is awesome. I wear one under my Latitude and over my Gerbing's liner, and it's a game-changer. It kills the draft coming through the Latitude and lets the liner do its thing.

Best thing is, it packs down to nothing so I can leave it on the bike.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
FYI - I just happened to see that Nano Puff jacket you guys were talking about at REI's site. They have them on sale on their website for $99 in Orange (XL, XXL) and Nickel (XXL) and a variety of sizes in Red and an 'ocean' Blue for $139.

I'm tempted to buy one as a hiking / around camp jacket... When you say it packs down to 'nothing', what is it really?
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Patagonia just had Nano Puffs on their annual "deep discount" sale...I think it was about half off. But you have to act fast with that sale...limited quantities and sizes.

Nano Puff pullover may be the best warmth to weight ratio I have ever seen and I have a closet full of Patagonia and Marmot down vests and jackets. It may have to do with the design of a pullover vs a jacket with an uninsulated zipper. Sometimes I get so warm when I wear it...unzip it and you can feel the body heat escaping.

I recall pulling on my Nano Puff as I left New York State on a very cold morning in late September headed to Georgia. Even without a heated liner it completely changed my perception of how the ride was going to be.