Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #181
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart
General question for the collective, any problem with cooking on rusted grates? I've always been a little reluctant to throw a steak on campsite grills that are all crusted up with rust. Just being a pansy?
It's easy and compact enough to store a square of tinfoil or two in my camp kitchen kit, then you can throw it on there, punch through to let the flame hit the food, and you're set. A piece of foil comes in handy to wrap a 'tater to throw right into the coals or wood, too.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #182
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
C'mon girls, you know you need a little iron in your diet now and then!

It's good to scrub them. Chunks of metal in your diet cannot be good for you and yes, the bacteria thing probably isn't good either. Especially if it was just used day before yesterday. Eeeeewww! Heh, how hungry are we? I guess that would be the deciding factor.

Oldrice-

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #183
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrice
What kind of pot is that? I'm thinking of going all metal/stainless (not teflon coated) for my pots and pans - any thoughts?
Looks like a "Rocket" brand, has a lid that the handle goes over to lock closed. Made in Thialand .. probably the same factory does the MSR branded products that look very similar. Had one for years now - they are good.

On the frypan side .. I'd go with a coated pan .. much less hastle than stainless steel for eggs etc..

--------------------------
Rust ? - Apply some fat .. start fire and let it mainate before applying food .. the fire will probably burn the fat .. leaving a surface that is ready for food?

Frank Warner screwed with this post 01-14-2008 at 02:40 PM
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #184
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
What a bunch of puss's. Just get the grill real hot and cook your steak. Gheez! As for the rust, it enhances the flavor too. I NEVER clean my grills at home unless moving permanently somewhere.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #185
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom
What a bunch of puss's.
Yes, yes I am.

Then again, you could always just cut an onion in half and rub that over the grate after it gets nice and hot. Cleans and seasons it all at once, plus you just toss it in the fire/coals for disposal. The other half of the onion gets added to the eggs the next morning.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #186
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,300
get one of these

or for something super geek and cool

$12 or $29
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #187
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
I carry a similar one, which is almost the same but it has fold-out legs. It doubles as a pan support when you want to get the pan a little farther from the flame (for non-burnt pancakes). Not sure where I got it, might have been REI or WalMart (?)

'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #188
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,129
You can buy grill and broiler pan grates at Wally, Tarjet, etc for a few bucks. Then you can them in half if you're going small.
Packing them between your rear back and the rear rack means no room is lost.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #189
AngryScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
I carry a similar one, which is almost the same but it has fold-out legs. It doubles as a pan support when you want to get the pan a little farther from the flame (for non-burnt pancakes). Not sure where I got it, might have been REI or WalMart (?)

Came with the chef? Nice!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #190
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:

What a great smile! Here's one back at ya

-jeff

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
- Thomas Jefferson
RoundTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #191
Scalzitti
Adventure Driven

Oddometer: 441
I gave up on cooking in camp. I don't want to give up the space to haul stuff and I don't want to attract too many critters with the after smells.

When I go off on long rides all I take for food is a big box of power bars. I eat one for breakfast and then I ride all day. When the sun is about an hour or two from setting, I stop, find a campground, pitch my tent and then find (or go back to) a small restaurant and eat a simple meal.

If I'm having too much fun riding, I'll just ride to dusk, then stop, pitch the tent and eat a power bar for dinner. When I'm riding, I don't get hungry for food - I just crave more riding.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #192
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Then again, you could always just cut an onion in half and rub that over the grate after it gets nice and hot. Cleans and seasons it all at once, plus you just toss it in the fire/coals for disposal. The other half of the onion gets added to the eggs the next morning.
Nice.

You can brush the seasoning on using sage or rosemary (or any herb reallly) ... formed to make a brush ... Maybe we should be planting herbs around the camping places? Don't think National Parks would like that ..
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #193
hilandfrog
jackass

Oddometer: 12,400
I eat at gas stops.

When camping I bring canned goods for anti critter attraction.

some canned keppers stink no matter what.

Cooking more than marsh mellows seems like I wood need to sleep far away from fire pit?

small snacks all day and a prepared meal once in the day is enough for me.

Repo
Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #194
AngryScot

more mountain house

Sorry for the reposts, but I am trying to keep track of the ones I tried and if reviewed.
Mountain house foods:
Lasagna
Was pretty good, but needed some pepper. Was a bit tame in taste but good. One thing though if you use a fork with the foods with cheese, it is a PITA to clean it off after!

Chicken and Rice
Taste was good, would make a good side dish, not too much chicken in it. Pepper again would have helped and some salt too.
Cooking was even and fast, but did need to beat up the bag to break it up before adding water.

Beef Stew
Again pretty tasty but needed pepper, I am guessing they plain it down so it appeals to more folks. Sauce was good and veggies were fresh tasting.
Anyway the pain with this one was the cooking. Fresh boiling water in the bag and 10min later it was still not cooked all the way. You need to smack the bag to break it up a bit so it hydrates evenly. I added more boiling water and it still was not cooked all the way. This one is not a simple water/wait/eat one like the rice and chicken or lasagna above.

Chilli Mac and Beef
This one is a winner! Per previous suggestions I have taken to adding more water/time for anything with beef or chicken so it cooks evenly. I looked at the small print and it said spicy sauce, crap I thought! But it was not spicy at all, might even leave the pepper out on this one . Would be great with some extra cheese and a side of bread or roll.
Oh and for the spicy meter, I think chilli's hot wings are a 9 (1-10[hottest]) scale . This meal was a 1. Nice flavor and the noodles and beans tasted fresh! Thanks to Benjava for suggestion this one, I would never have tried it otherwise.

Spaghetti with meat sauce
well another good one. The 120z of water was enough to cook it all, left if for 13minutes and it was fully cooked. Tasted very much like canned spaghetti, perhaps a bit better. Added pepper and a touch of salt which improved things greatly. Maybe even some dried herbs to give a bit more punch. Noodles are cut and small so easy to eat with a spoon. Had to make sure to mix this one as well as other more powdery ones to insure that they hydrated properly.

enjoy
Old 01-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #195
East Coast
East Coast

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS N RVN
last trip we ate:

Crab cakes, pork tenderloin, rib eye steaks, pasta and sausage, grilled tuna ........and a bottle of KNOB CREEK. All cooked by us at the camp site.

Riding a Gold Wing perhaps are we????