Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #616
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
I don't mean to be antagonistic, but what is it with some people's problem with burning food wrappers/waste on the fire, or even having a fire at all? I understand that burning things isn't the most eco-friendly means of disposal if you normally live in a highly populace city with recycling facilities, but out in the styxx? It's fine, relax.

So long as you have the fire responsibly, ideally, so that there is no sign that there was a fire there at all and there is no waste left, there's nothing wrong with this IMO. We've had fire for millenia; it's not like it is somehow 'unnatural', new or polluting on an industrial scale. When you are out bike camping, if you live in the west, you are almost certainly doing less environmental damage by just riding your bike and burning litter than you would be in your normal day to day life.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #617
asphaltmueller
nomad acc. 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
if you live in the west, you are almost certainly doing less environmental damage by just riding your bike and burning litter than you would be in your normal day to day life.
Exellent point
asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #618
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
+ + =
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #619
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
I don't mean to be antagonistic, but what is it with some people's problem with burning food wrappers/waste on the fire, or even having a fire at all? I understand that burning things isn't the most eco-friendly means of disposal if you normally live in a highly populace city with recycling facilities, but out in the styxx? It's fine, relax.

So long as you have the fire responsibly, ideally, so that there is no sign that there was a fire there at all and there is no waste left, there's nothing wrong with this IMO. We've had fire for millenia; it's not like it is somehow 'unnatural', new or polluting on an industrial scale. When you are out bike camping, if you live in the west, you are almost certainly doing less environmental damage by just riding your bike and burning litter than you would be in your normal day to day life.

My point is that some of the stuff I have left over from MRE's and other packaging have foil backings which don't necessarily incinerate in total. That being said I've done my share of stealth camping and camping in NF areas, so I just don't feel like it's the right thing (for me) to leave stuff (anything) behind. This is just a personal choice and I pack out what I pack in IF it can't be burned. And yes, I do burn some of the stuff.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #620
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
+
How do you like the coffee press? And, if you would care to comment on how you use it (how's it work)? I assume you put grounds in the water, boil and then press them to the bottom right?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #621
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
How do you like the coffee press? And, if you would care to comment on how you use it (how's it work)? I assume you put grounds in the water, boil and then press them to the bottom right?
Right.
The press is decent. I use it half the time; the other half for instant coffee.

Overview without using the press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qDmHA1zHI

Jump to 2:20 to see the coffee press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKTYIeXddck
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #622
Fat Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I put the coffee in the bottom and stir as normal for a French Press, but I have found that if I use a regular drip filter around the jetboil filter mine works a lot better. You have to press slowly due to the extra filtration and it is worth it to me not to get the sludge that can leak by the press without the filter. If I don't carry the Aeropress I can always shove a few filters in the jetboil for use.

Mike

Quote:

Fat Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #623
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
FWIW, I don't like the coffee press for grounds. The pot and the press are a PITA to clean and the grounds make a mess. I have started using Folgers (NOT your fufu latte double mocha blah blah blah stuff) coffee disc packets. Aint the best coffee but it gets me going, no mess, and easy to carry. Pretty cheap too at Wally World.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #624
Fat Monkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I agree about the mess. If there is no running water nearby I just use VIA or some cold brew concentrate.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom
FWIW, I don't like the coffee press for grounds. The pot and the press are a PITA to clean and the grounds make a mess. I have started using Folgers (NOT your fufu latte double mocha blah blah blah stuff) coffee disc packets. Aint the best coffee but it gets me going, no mess, and easy to carry. Pretty cheap too at Wally World.

Fat Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #625
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

The extra filter seems a good idea. On a recent camp out at Toad Suck, Arkansas I used the Starbucks Via instant coffee for the first time. Although, pricey, $3.00 for three small but very tasty packets of coffee. For me, good coffee is a requirement. The meal can be mediocre but the coffee is what makes the meal for me.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #626
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,491
Espresso is easy using a Bialetti Moka Express.

It makes great coffee...

It's tough to beat Ramen Noodles, a can of chicken and some seasoning...

Breakfast is usually an Odwalla Bar (or similar), a piece of fruit and espresso.

Cooking for one is tougher than cooking for two (a pack of Ramen Noodles is two servings for instance).

YMMV.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #627
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Have added a small 8" wok to my kit. Great for cooking many things.

Kung Pao chicken and fried rice with chicken and water chestnuts.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #628
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownst1100

Keith, one of these days we have got to plan a get together....
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #629
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
My point is that some of the stuff I have left over from MRE's and other packaging have foil backings which don't necessarily incinerate in total. That being said I've done my share of stealth camping and camping in NF areas, so I just don't feel like it's the right thing (for me) to leave stuff (anything) behind. This is just a personal choice and I pack out what I pack in IF it can't be burned. And yes, I do burn some of the stuff.
We always pack out our non-burnables when in primitive areas. It's easy enough to do and the next group in has a nice, clean area. I can't count how many campsites my buddies and I have cleaned up along the way. Extra garbage bags take up no room on the bike and can be easily disposed of at the next gas stop.

I pack along an entrenching tool (surplus E. German are the best, IMO), to dig a proper fire pit, as well as to secure it when leaving the camp the next morning. The thing works good for pounding tent stakes, latrine duty and minor leveling of tent pitch areas, too.

Always figured we ADV riders think and act like avid backpackers when in primitive areas, (and buy the same kind of gear in many cases).
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #630
greatnortoni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownst1100

Ken;
Do you have any pics of your new wok? and showing how its packed?

greatnortoni

ps, walked right past your camp spot at the rally in Redmond didn't even see ya
greatnortoni is offline   Reply With Quote