Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #706
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,780
[QUOTE=stilldointime;15434294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitzo View Post
an old favorite...........i may have posted it before, but damn it was good on this cold wet night:

Nice wiener!!

ive been toid...thanks
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #707
UncleHowie
Dances with Buffalo

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Fat and water?
Maybe- certainly makes more sense than just fat!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #708
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Look at the label some more. Water is the first ingredient listed on many foods, fat, protein, fibre, ash, etc.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #709
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Spent a night out at the Salton Sea last weekend. My friend Jim tried out his new, made it himself, folding Bar-B-Que.

BIG O'L Pork chops and chicken.

Pretty slick how Jim used skewers for grills. A series of holes allow you to move the srewers up and down while the top row allows you to rotate and lift the skewers out. All folds up into a neat little package.

After dinner he even made a nice peach cobbler using a small aluminum pan and lid placing it in the bar-b-que with a few coals on top.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #710
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Keith,

Would you have any other pictures of your friend's folding grill. It's super cool. Thanks for posting the pic.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #711
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Keith,

Would you have any other pictures of your friend's folding grill. It's super cool. Thanks for posting the pic.
Here are a couple more. Sorry I don't have one of it folded up.

If you look close you can see that the inside bottom has a piece of perforated metal that keep the coals up off the bottom allowing for better air circulation.

At some point i'll get a picture of it ready to pack on the bike.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #712
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,337
Add wine

Some years ago I realized on Oct. 31 that my annual parks pass was about to expire, so I decided to spend Halloween night in Rocky Mountain National Park. I threw my stuff, including my pre-packed kitchen box, into my car and took off. After setting up my tent in the dark, I set about making dinner on a propane stove, and realized that I had left behind all the cookware that I had removed from the box for cleaning, and I had brought raw sausage for dinner. Fortunately, I had my souvenir Alcatraz metal prisoner's cup. After burning some sausage in the cup, I decided to pour in some wine and boil it. Delicious!

Since then I've been adding wine to a lot of my camping cooking, with great results. I'll boil up a bunch of brown rice before the trip, and stick a big ziploc bag of it in my cooler. Canned chili mixed with brown rice and a good shot of wine is remarkably tasty after a day of hiking.

Oh, I tend to use Merlot, but if you're taking advice on wine from me, you have a problem I can't solve.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.

tgeliot screwed with this post 03-18-2011 at 04:38 PM
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #713
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownst1100 View Post
Spent a night out at the Salton Sea last weekend. My friend Jim tried out his new, made it himself, folding Bar-B-Que.

BIG O'L Pork chops and chicken.

Pretty slick how Jim used skewers for grills. A series of holes allow you to move the srewers up and down while the top row allows you to rotate and lift the skewers out. All folds up into a neat little package.

After dinner he even made a nice peach cobbler using a small aluminum pan and lid placing it in the bar-b-que with a few coals on top.
I have an old aluminum radio chassis for an electronics project that I never used and it is nearly the same size as your friends. I wouldn't mind using it now to build a stove! Half of this project is in my basement! I like the hinged metal supports to make it all fold down nice and compact. Need to find some sheet Al to make those parts.

The skewer idea is genius - they can also be used for kebobs which is an easy camp fire meal in itself (very little prep and clean up). Good idea to put the notches in the top edge just for that purpose.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #714
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Note the lower holes to get the skewer rods closer to the coals if needed. Pretty slick set up, although too big for what I care to haul with me. Nice work!
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #715
cpul
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
I can carry 2 days of food, breakfast,lunch and dinner keeping what ever needs to be kept cold cold. A nice breakfast of eggs,bacon,and coffee. A snack lunch and then a nice dinner, usually salmon, steam veggies and a nice glass of wine.

This meal takes about 15 minutes total to make and clean up takes less. This cooking settup (not counting the one 442 stove and cookware) folds flat and fits in the lid of one Jesse bag.
This all too fancy for me.I usually just bring rice and instant noodle and a few drinks
cpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #716
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpul View Post
This all too fancy for me.I usually just bring rice and instant noodle and a few drinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromTom View Post
Note the lower holes to get the skewer rods closer to the coals if needed. Pretty slick set up, although too big for what I care to haul with me. Nice work!
I was also thinking that this would be a great setup for car camping. Once in awhile we need to take the cage for trips and having a compact setup would be nice. I think that a couple of those cans of gel fuel would be great as well and would mean that I could leave the ol' Coleman dual burner at home.

All good ideas. YMMV.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #717
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer View Post
I've been wanting to buy a small pressure cooker and finally got a Hawkins 2 liter. I took it out to the desert a couple of weeks ago and used it with my Dragonfly stove. I only steamed veggies this time but actually got it for lentils and beans.
Be careful cooking starchy things like beans in a pressure cooker. They can splatter, and the splatter plug the steam outlet. This can result in a buildup of pressure, and the pressure relief valve letting go, with dramatic results.

This happened to my mom once when I was a kid. Basically what happened was that the contents of the pressure cooker liquified and over the course of maybe 10 seconds were deposited evenly on every surface within about 8 feet, including the ceiling. Fortunately nobody was nearby to get scalded.

If that little weight thing ever stops rocking and venting steam, take the pot of the heat!

Also, don't ever bang a metal spoon against the edge of the pot to knock food off it; you'll make little dings in the rim of the pot that will allow steam to leak.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #718
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
Grill

Quote:
Here are a couple more. Sorry I don't have one of it folded up.

If you look close you can see that the inside bottom has a piece of perforated metal that keep the coals up off the bottom allowing for better air circulation.

At some point i'll get a picture of it ready to pack on the bike.
Looks like this grill was fabricated by the owner.

Look in the CAMPMOR.com on line catalogue. They offer a similar style folding grill. One could drill holes for the skewers etc.

This is a great setup.
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #719
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I just returned from a 4 night trip around New England. Many of us were cooking in camp. For me it is a big part of the camp experience. I find it very relaxing to roll into camp at night with some groceries and some and hang out relax and cook a meal. Same for mornings it is nice to chat around the coffee pot and then whip up some breakfast.

Gear wise I use an MSR Dragonfly...very loud stove but it boils with the best and simmers like no other. My pans are an inexpensive GSI set, I use the sea to summit xplate a collapsible plate can be used as a cutting board, pot lid, plate or even a bowl. They also make cups and bowls. I scored a polar bear coller over the winter that works well.

Meal wise I ate mostly stir fry's for dinner and eggs and hash for breakfast. I like to find local markets and farms in season to buy my provisions.

Here is a couple of coffee pots going at a recent ride we had here in NE

Scrambled eggs and ham with a side of hash

Pork tenderloin with potatoes, onions, mushrooms and zuke's

Terriaki Steak, peppers, onions, shrooms and rice..

Ready to cook

Ready to eat

Whipping up breakfast for a couple other inmates

Damn Dave, I need to show this to my wife, maybe she will come along for the May trip. . .
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #720
PhotoBiker
Please insert title here

Oddometer: 1,436
My favorite quick fix meal is a can of Chunky Soup (Chicken or Beef) and a bag of Success Rice, mixed together after they are cooked.
'06 Ninja 250
Check out my Gallery
PhotoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote