Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #796
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,550
Couple pics from this summer, gots to use the purcell grill, works well.

We we're in a hurry at the grocery store, grabbed what ever and booked. Panic'd when we rode thru town and had'nt seen a liquor store Luckily the next town had one.
Odd combo of food but it worked.

fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #797
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
+1. Wish I had pics, but has anyone ever done fried bologna sandwiches? Really easy to make. Fry the bologna, put it between two pieces of bread with a slice of cheddar cheese, butter the outside of the bread and fry it until golden brown. Put some mustard on it and you've got one heck of a delicious, artery clogging lunch! Seriously, they're simple to make and really good.
Where I live, it's called a "Croque Monsieur", i.e. grilled-cheeze with bologna or sliced ham.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #798
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,304
40+ years as a Chef (glorified Cook meaning...) and now a bit over 5 years full time on the road camping I still don't eat out. Try not to. Of course time is on my side, I make that time to cook and have converted many recipes to "One-Pan". We travel without refrigeration and using the local produce staying away from all processed food meaning cans. Of course that does not work all the time! I do buy meat if I see a butcher, they are always happy to give me some ice to carry on. Eggs last many days, Parmesan, feta, many other ingredients if stored smartly in shade. We also are never in a part of the Country where it is over 80 degrees! Try not to anyhow...
I end up posting some of those "One-Pan" recipes lately on my site, with the tools needed, the "Why and How", trying to share how to eat well as I see some do here from the photos!
It can be done... utilizing that time also to maybe come back to Camp a bit early and socialize with Friends, or in Homes also cooking with Friends.

Spirit and I being on a hack might mean we can carry more, we do, but the food aspect has always been the same also when on two wheels many Moons ago!

An easy Breakfast or could be dinner. It can look good... and taste good all at the same time.

A Creamed Spinach with ginger and garlic topped with bacon...

I believe in templates which should give anyone the ability to adapt with what is available. Pasta and Rice if outing for just a couple days can be made ahead mixed with a tablespoon of olive oil and stored. Many possibilities...

Be well, Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #799
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 810
Beemerchef, thanks so much for your new gear review and recipes on your site. very helpful. ahhh the luxury of a sidecar

couple tools i use a lot for cooking: a 10"x10" titanium grill handed down from my great uncle and my family's camping trips. a hinged grill I found in Oakland Chinatown for $4. next to them is a Sven saw, whose hollow rectangular handle(red) fits over the grill and griddle handles and gives me distance from the fire for handling. the griddle also makes an easy to level platform for the stove and a clean surface for food prep. My cutting board, pieces of foil, and other flat stuff are sandwiched in there . The sven saw also is used as a bike prop for lifting the rear tire up for lubing the chain or repairs. oh yeah, it even cuts wood.

a word from experience...if stuff like this doesn't ride in a bag, like on top of your rear rack under a bag, make sure it's tethered.
Attached Images

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 10:53 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #800
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
couple tools i use a lot for cooking: a 10"x10" titanium grill handed down from my great uncle and my families camping trips. a hinged grill I found in Oakland Chinatown for $4. next to them is a Sven saw, whose hollow rectangular handle fits over the grill and griddle handles and gives me distance from the fire for handling. the griddle also makes a level platform for the stove and a clean surface for food prep. My cutting board, pieces of foil, and other flat stuff are sandwiched in there . The sven saw also is used as a bike prop for lifting the rear tire up for lubing the chain or repairs.
That looks handy. I love items that serve multiple uses. I want that grill
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #801
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #802
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
It needs a bump....love this thread!!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #803
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
Odd combo of food but it worked.
sometimes thats how it pans out, if you have to work for it or youre cold and wet, you have a great meal from stuff you would never think to throw together before

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef View Post

whats that 'tube of many lids' thing?
im assuming its spices and herbs etc but is that DIY or something you can buy?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #804
dcoop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
im assuming its spices and herbs etc but is that DIY or something you can buy?[/QUOTE]

The tube of many lids thing is (are) GearPods.

http://www.gearpods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=62
dcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #805
Wacho
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozart View Post
+1, all I need
Wacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #806
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoop View Post
im assuming its spices and herbs etc but is that DIY or something you can buy?

http://www.gearpods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=62[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Been in Death Valley for a while, just saw this... Great way to store dry ingredients.

Ara and Spirit
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #807
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Quote:

http://www.gearpods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=62
Thanks! Been in Death Valley for a while, just saw this... Great way to store dry ingredients.

Ara and Spirit[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty cool. Thanks for the link.

Thats the best looking camp food I've ever seen. Sounds better than Canned beans and $1 hotdogs or Freeez Dried mush.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #808
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyStuff View Post
Thats the best looking camp food I've ever seen. Sounds better than Canned beans and $1 hotdogs or Freeez Dried mush.
Since reading this thread (and another one here about cooking food on the engine/exhaust) I look at items now at the grocery store with this question: "Would this work out well being cooked/prepared and eaten on the road?" Collecting ideas and recipes for upcoming trips!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #809
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian View Post
Since reading this thread (and another one here about cooking food on the engine/exhaust) I look at items now at the grocery store with this question: "Would this work out well being cooked/prepared and eaten on the road?" Collecting ideas and recipes for upcoming trips!
Feel free to download the recipes on our Journal. Use then as templates...
Be well... Ara and Spirit
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #810
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Feel free to download the recipes on our Journal. Use then as templates...
Be well... Ara and Spirit
Ara, I thank you for the reminder and your recipes. I have seen your blog in the past and I have it opened in another tab, looking over the recipes as I type this. Been awhile since I have visited your blog. Catching up now. You and Spirit are an inspiration to me!

EDIT: Signed up and I will look over the recipes "as templates" to try out with one or two pans. I travel for work and sometimes book at extended stay hotels with kitchenettes. These will be fun to try out on an electric stove and practice before hitting the road and using camping cooking utensils.

RAGBrian screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 09:44 AM
RAGBrian is offline   Reply With Quote