Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #1486
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,143
5Chord, this is a brand new bike under warranty and there's no reason it shouldn't run PERFECTLY! I'd take it in and demand a new ECM. If it doesn't work right with a new ECM, demand they give you a loaner while they tear apart the bike and find the freakin PROBLEM!

Yes, I know CAPS means I'm shouting. Sorry. I'm into the Bourbon tonite.
4XKPN - sold
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #1487
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Update on past and current mods--Mainly Leo Vince

Fitted the exhaust (Thanks Geoffster!); played around with the mount point, trying to prevent the header from settling and coming into contact with the coolant hose--I can't believe bmw ever designed them to sit so close

In addition to blue loctite I added star washers on each side of the rubber bushing and placed the arm so that if it falls it will tighten the bolt rather than loosen it. Still seems though the weak point is that the entire bushing rotates in it's socket in the subframe, so no matter how tight the bolt, the arm can still fall. It does appear this is only an issue with the country, whereas the challenge mounts with a straight spacer instead of a rotating arm. If the header falls anymore I'll try to figure out a way to mount the exhaust hanger directly though a spacer ala the challenge. This may cause the exhaust to burn the turn signal, but not sure.

I retained the Touratech heat shield to fill the gap, though it probably isn't necessary as I had to slide the lv carbon shield pretty far back o make it fit, and there's even a bit of overlap, but they don't actually touch.

Also shown are better views of the hepco-becker crash bars, including the fact I had to fiddle with the spacers to make all the bolts line up (and that was after modding the main mounting point on the right side with a hacksaw ).

I changed the way I mounted the barkbusters, mostly to get the bar bracket away from the banjo bolt on the front brake m/c. I was worried the way I had it with the spacers, in a crash if it bent or moved it would take out the front brake line, and then I'd really be screwed. I had to cut the ball off the end of the brake lever (not the clutch initially, though I just cut it off tonight as I find my pinky gets irritated by the ball rubbing on the side of it anyway) and the bar certainly transmitted more high frequency vibes without the bar-end weights.

The freer-breathing exhaust made the bar-vibration problem worse, so tonight I filled the bar with BBs. Quick 5 mile ride, half of that on the freeway, shows a remarkable improvement. My hands were really starting to hurt, esp. at sustained high rpms.

Combined with the incredible smoothness and vastly better sound, I declare the LV upgrade to be by far the best thing you can do for these bikes--I had no idea the stock exhaust was THAT restrictive, esp. in the lower rpms and off-throttle.
It is a totally different bike; Vastly improved.

I had to track down some peg-sliders (turns out they're a bmw part, but only listed under the x-moto) since the stock pegs tend to dig a bit when they hit the asphalt under full lean--the slider isn't to protect the peg, though it was grinding down, but to make it slide along the ground so it doesn't catch so badly. Been tested already satisfactorily. This speaks more to the low lean angle of the bike than the handling capabilities, though I find the tourances to be very predictable on pavement.

Next mod looks to be a Hyde skidplate. Maybe some driving lights...

Oh, and the mount on the mirror is for my GPS--Works great on road, even freeway--But untested off-road; I suspect it will move too much, but I hope to test it this weekend.

Sorry for all the pics, esp. to those with slow connections.
fazer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #1488
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,932
Pics of my new Xcountry. Added screen, bash plate, engine bars and hand protectors. Since photos were taken I have, put on knobbies - E09 rear tyre and my mate made a fantastic luggage rack with plastic pipe for holding tent poles. Will post pics soon.
http://missjane.smugmug.com/photos/5...14_uiN8N-M.jpg
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #1489
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
5Chord, this is a brand new bike under warranty and there's no reason it shouldn't run PERFECTLY! I'd take it in and demand a new ECM. If it doesn't work right with a new ECM, demand they give you a loaner while they tear apart the bike and find the freakin PROBLEM!

Yes, I know CAPS means I'm shouting. Sorry. I'm into the Bourbon tonite.
I'm gonna try the Yuasa battery first. The stealership will just keep the bike all riding season and they have no loaners. The obviously are clueless to this problem.
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #1490
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,477
Anybody getting clutch chatter? I'm running synthetic oil and lower gears. I'm getting some clutch chatter at low RPM when I let it lug a little low and gas it. I am thinking about heavier clutch springs.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #1491
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
I'm gonna try the Yuasa battery first. The stealership will just keep the bike all riding season and they have no loaners. The obviously are clueless to this problem.
For God's sake, man, you live in NEW YORK STATE! The dealer doesn't stand a chance against you with all the consumer protection laws y'all got.

HERE's a link to lots of info about the New York Motorcycle Lemon Law. If the dealer can't fix it in 30 days, get your purchase price refunded or get a new bike. If the dealer gives you trouble, in NEW YORK STATE y'all got lawyers who do nothing but Lemon Law cases. I'm tellin ya, the dealer doesn't stand a chance and they know it. Do your homework, then make your case.

But, I agree that it might be best to suffer with the problem until the end of the riding season.
4XKPN - sold
Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #1492
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6

I had to track down some peg-sliders (turns out they're a bmw part, but only listed under the x-moto) since the stock pegs tend to dig a bit when they hit the asphalt under full lean--the slider isn't to protect the peg, though it was grinding down, but to make it slide along the ground so it doesn't catch so badly. Been tested already satisfactorily. This speaks more to the low lean angle of the bike than the handling capabilities, though I find the tourances to be very predictable on pavement.

Those peg sliders are cool! What's the part no. and how much they cost?
4XKPN - sold
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #1493
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane
Pics of my new Xcountry. Added screen, bash plate, engine bars and hand protectors. Since photos were taken I have, put on knobbies - E09 rear tyre and my mate made a fantastic luggage rack with plastic pipe for holding tent poles. Will post pics soon.
http://missjane.smugmug.com/photos/5...14_uiN8N-M.jpg
Miss Jane, your link only brings up one pic. HERE'S a link to all 9 of your pics.

That looks like a purebred BMW - all BMW farkles. Looks good ya gotta admit. All those accessories look great. Only two little suggestions--get the bash plate powdercoated black (you be stylin') and install the frame protection "hard parts" available HERE.
4XKPN - sold
Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #1494
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Those peg sliders are cool! What's the part no. and how much they cost?
http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA...MW&bplo=&bphi=
Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #1495
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

I followed that link and it takes me to the peg sliders alright (part no. 71607705927) but also to front and rear BMW axle sliders! You learn something new every day!

Anybody know if the X-Moto axle sliders will fit the X-Country? If swingarms, fork bottoms and axles are the same, then they should.
4XKPN - sold
Old 06-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #1496
fazer6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I followed that link and it takes me to the peg sliders alright (part no. 71607705927) but also to front and rear BMW axle sliders! You learn something new every day!

Anybody know if the X-Moto axle sliders will fit the X-Country? If swingarms, fork bottoms and axles are the same, then they should.
They do.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #1497
bigblue23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Updated 09 Xcountry

Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #1498
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue23
updated
that looks freakin mean
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #1499
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
[Miss Jane, your link only brings up one pic. HERE'S a link to all 9 of your pics.

That looks like a purebred BMW - all BMW farkles. Looks good ya gotta admit. All those accessories look great. Only two little suggestions--get the bash plate powdercoated black (you be stylin') and install the frame protection "hard parts" available HERE.]
Thanks Drone,
Actually I thought one pic would do, but you if you want to see more that's fine. Also I like the bash plate the way it is, I reckon being female and an artist might give me the odd clue about visual beauty. I don't like everything to match perfectly anyway, that just looks boring and dull because there is no energy happening, no buzz. I think the bash plate complements many of the other protective silvery bits on the exhaust. I appreciate your comments though, thanks.

I got a few more pics, some of the rack my mate made for me in return for helping him with quite a lot of concreting. I think I owe him help with the entire shed with all the work and thought he put into my rack. It is designed for Ortleib throw over panniers with a roll bag and 12 litre fuel bladder over the pillion seat. The rack can be removed simply by undoing 4 bolts and the weight is taken by the grab handles. The tube is to hold tent poles, paper (I'm an artist remember) or anything else that is long and thin.

http://missjane.smugmug.com/Motorcycles

Miss Jane screwed with this post 06-21-2009 at 02:11 AM Reason: I can't put pics in, no good at pooters.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #1500
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,484
Lively ride MissJane, that rear rack looks excellent.
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote