Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 02:34 AM   #1501
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
This is just about the beast "Throw Over" rack I've seen...........

Miss Jane, you should put these into production and sell them. Perfect for Dual Sport Adventure touring..........

2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #1502
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,939
RoyB
There was not one straight anything on the bike, so the rack was a mite difficult to design, though Andy is one clever and skilled man so he made it look easy. When I picked it up he made it VERY clear he would never make another because it would cost thousands due to the time it took! I'm very lucky he agreed to make it at all. So I don't think there will be another let alone put them into production. Normally he would make me construct stuff (he has far greater belief in my ability than I do) unless it's difficult, well it was very difficult! All I did was talk over the design with him, oh and concreting!

I forgot to say, it's actually very light weight, but designed to be hauled on for when I need to pick up my bike out of the dirt.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #1503
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,901
Nice rack Miss Jane! I will be stealing some ideas.Thank you sooo much for the pics.
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #1504
blantonator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue23
whats the front fender, looks great!
blantonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #1505
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
Understood! I make all kinds of stuff for my motorcycles that folks ask me to duplicate and the cost would be prohibitive..........but your pictures give us all great ideas!
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #1506
bigblue23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Rear Shock Spring

Has anyone replaced the rear spring on the cross country. I have an 09 and have realized it is time to upgrade with the bike being set up for a rider of about 175 lbs. and I weigh in at about 300. If you have replaced it where did u get it from and did it cross reference with another bike. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #1507
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,155
I'm out.

Sold the XCountry yesterday. It's getting ready for an Alps trip though.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #1508
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue23
Has anyone replaced the rear spring on the cross country. I have an 09 and have realized it is time to upgrade with the bike being set up for a rider of about 175 lbs. and I weigh in at about 300. If you have replaced it where did u get it from and did it cross reference with another bike. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
this isn't exactly what you were looking for but hope it helps anyway

I suspect someone like Sasquatch could help you rework the stock rear shock though when I checked him he had not yet done one for an X-Co. I ride my bike as my primary means of transportation, so having my shock shipping back/forth across the country for mod was not going to work for me, so I sourced an aftermarket Wilbers shock sprung and valved specifically for my weight (i'm right in your range, maybe a bit more).

Ted Porter's Beemer Shop - http://www.beemershop.com/ helped me spec out a unit and then I waited for it to flow in from Germany in one of their standard shipments and then they shipped it out to me UPS or FedEx or someone like that...

I swapped the shock in a couple hours one evening (I'm sure you can do it faster than that, but I was poking around a little bit checking things out and trying to make sure that I didn't screw anything up). I sourced the shock with all the bells and whistles since I didn't want to go half way and then be disappointed - that being said I think that in hindsight I'd have been fine having them get me in the range and just having the basic adjustability similar to the stock shock.

I thought I might need to go with some stronger progressive fork springs to maintain balance, but after I got everything dialed in I've been very happy with just the change to the rear shock.

This isn't a cheap option - I'll leave you to check the prices as this is heavily dependent on the exchange rates and they move around a lot, but it is an option that worked great for me, so I figured I should put it out there JIC it could help you out.

If you do find someone local to help you rework or source a spring please put the info up on the site as I'm sure we aren't the only two big boys riding X bikes...

hope this helps...
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #1509
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Battery Tender hookup

OK, I figure the longest it has ever taken me to replace a battery is 5 minutes. After 15 minutes of time just to remove the fake tank, I can see the little devil, but what do I now need to remove to get to it to connect the tender? Or is there an easier way... please?
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #1510
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01
OK, I figure the longest it has ever taken me to replace a battery is 5 minutes. After 15 minutes of time just to remove the fake tank, I can see the little devil, but what do I now need to remove to get to it to connect the tender? Or is there an easier way... please?
Not sure what the problem is, and don't know if yours is like mine, but on mine the main wiring harness ran along the right side of the battery and effectively blocked it in. I got the battery out by carefully pushing and stretching and manipulating the main harness then pushing and stretching the harness some more and some more until finally I could get the battery out by pulling on the leads. I pushed the harness DOWN on my bike, but possibly UP might be better for you. Is this what you are talking about?
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #1511
Oldgoat01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Not sure what the problem is, and don't know if yours is like mine, but on mine the main wiring harness ran along the right side of the battery and effectively blocked it in. I got the battery out by carefully pushing and stretching and manipulating the main harness then pushing and stretching the harness some more and some more until finally I could get the battery out by pulling on the leads. I pushed the harness DOWN on my bike, but possibly UP might be better for you. Is this what you are talking about?
Actually found a site that has a BMW plug to tender pigtail adapter. I believe I'll go that route. Thanks
Oldgoat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #1512
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat01
Actually found a site that has a BMW plug to tender pigtail adapter. I believe I'll go that route. Thanks
OOHHH! All you're trying to do is hook up to the tender? Doh!--That went right over my head. Anyways, not sure about the '07, but on the '09 you can hook up the tender by plugging it into the accessory socket using an ordinary powerlet plug. That's an unswitched line. That's how I refresh the battery on mine.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #1513
plumber mike
Born again

So I finally roll into Sturgis BMW at 920 miles today for my running in service and after admiring my milk crate,they pull it in. Waited there looking at bikes and overpriced gear and accessories for 2H 15M and they tell me I'm set to go.
$140 for an oil change $9/qt oil?What is so special about this oil? The service manager tells me my bike pulled up a fault code for the evap can bieng removed(and if it's not put back on will void the emmissions warranty which includes the electronics and fuel injection )Ok. I'll put it back before/if I take it in again.Oh well. The ride was sweet
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #1514
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

My 600-mile service was $250.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #1515
plumber mike
Born again

Feeling better now.