Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #151
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,132
I had battery issues with mine when I had it shipped. The battery died and couldn't be re-charged.

I bought a new battery and 4 months later the bike died completely.

I took it in and the mechanics found a bad connector, which was warranty and recall work.

Have'nt had a hiccup since.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #152
The Hoff
What just happened here??

Oddometer: 18
Is the XCountry the long lost skinnier brother of the TW??
The Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #153
number9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I have always had lust for the X-Country since they first came out. i think they'd make GREAT do it all bikes. However, they didn't seem to catch on nearly as well as th X-challange did, and i have NO idea why, but anyways it seems they are now trying to turn the X-Country into a chick bike with the lowered stance and new colors. Guess the release of the new 800 twin GS model doomed this bike in it's intended role. I know I'd sure go for the 800 GS over the Country.

number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #154
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
As you know, I bought my Xcountry few weeks ago It's got 2500km on it and I noticed that I had to screw almost all the way the screw at the clutch lever to tense the cable so I can change all gears more easily (specially from 1rst to 2nd but that's maybe another story).
For information I've checked with the F650 spec. It says :
'clutch operating clearance at handle bar lever : 1 to 2 mm'. which is very tight!
It seems that the outer cable is way shorter than the inner cable. Looks like the cable is not made for the g650x!

Is this something that I have to get solved by the dealer since it's still under warranty and did you experienced the same problem?
Thanks

Concerning the battery problems, Mine has died also and I have had replaced it with a ducati one which is only 8 Amps/H instead of 10Amps/H capacity for the stock one. Actually, they are replacing all stock BMW batteries that fuses because it seems that they are having some issues of chemicals defect.
I live in France though.
Hope the ducati battery will handle all the startup next winter cause 8Amps is not much!

lewiss66 screwed with this post 04-09-2008 at 07:25 AM
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #155
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by number9
I have always had lust for the X-Country since they first came out. i think they'd make GREAT do it all bikes. However, they didn't seem to catch on nearly as well as th X-challange did, and i have NO idea why, but anyways it seems they are now trying to turn the X-Country into a chick bike with the lowered stance and new colors. Guess the release of the new 800 twin GS model doomed this bike in it's intended role. I know I'd sure go for the 800 GS over the Country.

I rode an 800GS and wouldn't trade my XCountry (the black, high rise, mens version) for it. Seating position is the main factor, but If I'm going that big I'm in for the 1200GS.

An R1200R is another kettle of fish...wanna buy a XCountry
Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #156
Tim-Rodriguez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I am going to head to my local BMW dealer and try sit on both of the bikes I have my heart set on Xchallenge & Xcountry but does anyone know if the Xchallenge seat height can be adjusted as I am only 5,6ft and no way will I be able to sit stable enough on a seat thats 960mm high

Whatever fits me best I will most probably be putting a deposit on the bike either this weekend or next.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #157
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Rodriguez
I am going to head to my local BMW dealer and try sit on both of the bikes I have my heart set on Xchallenge & Xcountry but does anyone know if the Xchallenge seat height can be adjusted as I am only 5,6ft and no way will I be able to sit stable enough on a seat thats 960mm high

Whatever fits me best I will most probably be putting a deposit on the bike either this weekend or next.
Tim, I believe Gadget Boy traded his stock challenge seat for that of a X-moto which is a little shorter. As far as lowering the bike, I've read that it's not recomended (only the xchallenge) because of the air bladder suspension. It could cause it to bulge, which could cause some rubbing and then the eventual failure of the air shock.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #158
P3R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaracho
Tim, I believe Gadget Boy traded his stock challenge seat for that of a X-moto which is a little shorter.
Both Xchallenge and Xmoto have a lowered seat as option. There's no difference except in color. GB would have had the exact same height with the low Xchallenge seat but he liked the Xmoto colors better.

The low seats are 20 mm lower and more importantly for seat comfort, the main seating area is a bit wider. It's probably not nearly as nice as a wide custom made seat (i.e. Renazco) but it's a step in the right direction.
P3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #159
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Rodriguez

I'm 5' 6" and the Country was the ONLY choice.
Here's proof!

RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 AM   #160
Tim-Rodriguez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO
I'm 5' 6" and the Country was the ONLY choice.
Here's proof!
That kid looks cold...
You have a brilliant workshop/garage!!!
my work place for my bikes is my cold open dark garden.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #161
riaan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Taking the XCountry cross country...

Thought you'd like to see some more pics:

Under some blue gum trees outside Pretoria. Still had the original plastic "bashplate" on... had that changed quickly though!
Attached Images

riaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #162
riaan
n00b

Going downhill, some really rocky terrain! Luckily I had the aftermarket bashplate fitted here. After the ride I had alook, and it had some nasty scratches and bumps in. The plastic one would have not made it!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #163
riaan
n00b

Last one taken in the veld on the hill. Saw a lot of mx bikes go up the hill before, didn't have the nerve to take my XT660 up, but as soon as I got the XCountry, there was no stopping me!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #164
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,782
Nice pics, riaan! Did you get a TT bashplate on that beast?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #165
riaan
n00b

Getting dirty with the wife... ;)

The bashplate was locally made by a guy here in Pretoria, but unfortunately I don't know who it was. The sales guy at the dealers (Bavarian Motorcycles) just told me about the aftermarket bashplates that they can get. He rides enduro with his XChallenge, and highly recommended this plate. I paid R800 (about $100) for it, which is not bad, as it covers the the water pump and starter on the other side. I could get you some more info if you need.
Attached Images