Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #1696
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
I'm looking for suggestions on a good off-road sprocket combination. The stock 1st gear is a bit too tall and I'm on the clutch way too often in the rough stuff.
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #1697
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
You mean, any suggestions about the sprockets or the chudder, right? Because Gawd help us we do not want this nice little thread to turn into an oil thread. A while back it almost turned into a tire thread and that would have ruined us but we luckily avoided that disaster. Oil questions belong in their own dark corner of the forum, not here.
Heavens no, I would never do something as dangerous as ask an oil question. Why just a few minutes ago I myself was perusing the mind boggling nonsense of all the oil threads, it's almost as bad as all the how to carry more gas thread (ride with a KLR). After I was up from the stroke induced by the second oil thread I vowed never to ask an oil question. What I am asking is clearly a clutch chatter question, do you thin it will more likely be solved by trying a different oil (feel free to recomend one at the risk of unleashing the apocalypse), or if I should try changing valve stem caps to get rid of the chatter?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #1698
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,992
Drone has fancy valve stem caps and no clutch chatter, so that should answer your question:)

I got my hard parts in the mail yesterday. I've got no bike to put them on yet. Did you guys paint or powdercoat yours? How are they holding up either way? I think I'm going to order BMW crash bars and an Adventum Skid (some custom mods may be required). What do you guy's think?
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #1699
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
muddyrabbit,
Your problem of clutch chatter is still up to date. I mean I'm experiencing the same problem and didn't find any answer that could clearly expain it on all these threads. Well, though I planing to change oil next week after 7000km since the last 1k km service maintenance in 2007. I let you know.

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011

lewiss66 screwed with this post 07-15-2009 at 05:01 AM
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #1700
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66
muddyrabbit,
Your problem of clutch chatter is still up to date. I mean I'm experiencing the same problem and didn't find any answer that could clearly expain it on all these threads. Well, though I planing to change oil next week after 7000km since the last 1k km service maintenance in 2007. I let you know.
What the hell is clutch chatter?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 AM   #1701
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
Heavens no, I would never do something as dangerous as ask an oil question. Why just a few minutes ago I myself was perusing the mind boggling nonsense of all the oil threads, it's almost as bad as all the how to carry more gas thread (ride with a KLR). After I was up from the stroke induced by the second oil thread I vowed never to ask an oil question.
I use 1 part Mobil1 10w30, 2 parts Valvoline 10w50, 1 part soy sauce, add ice, put in blender for 45 sec and then I throw a shot of vodka on top....great with orange juice and makes a awesome marinade as well......No engine shavings after 4k miles!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #1702
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord
What the hell is clutch chatter?
You'll know it when you feel it. Basically it's the clutch discs momentarily losing friction and slipping resulting in a chatter (or chudder) feeling and sound.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #1703
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,207
Drone,
I by no means was trying to turn this into a "you need to switch to this oil" type of debate. I was merely asking questions to see what COULD cause his chatter issue. Since MuddyRabbit explained he has the 17T front sprocket, and the issue arose after he installed that, I'm going to go ahead and make the SWAG that that is probably part of the problem. I hated how my bike chugged with the 16T front sprocket on front. Does it do the same thing when switching back to stock?

Keep in mind that 1T sprocket change = approx 3 tooth change on the rear. HTH somehow.

5chord,
Should I go shaken or stirred for these blends?

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #1704
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
Since MuddyRabbit explained he has the 17T front sprocket, and the issue arose after he installed that, I'm going to go ahead and make the SWAG that that is probably part of the problem. I hated how my bike chugged with the 16T front sprocket on front. Does it do the same thing when switching back to stock?
Hmmm. I think this is a good hypothesis. I swapped the stock front sprocket for one tooth less before I had 1,000 miles on my Xcountry, and when I tried the stock front sprocket a month or so ago, I was amazed at how high it made first gear. FYI, BMWs as a brand typically have high first gears -- frighteningly so, if you've ever had to stop/start a boxer on a 15 degree grade with a passenger and gear!

BTW, for >30 years I've found that oil discussions usually rank with discussions of religion and politics for dividing friends. I usually say, "I don't have an oil religion," when an oil discussion (preaching of dogma?) begins.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #1705
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Drone,
I by no means was trying to turn this into a "you need to switch to this oil" type of debate. I was merely asking questions to see what COULD cause his chatter issue. Since MuddyRabbit explained he has the 17T front sprocket, and the issue arose after he installed that, Andrew
I have the 17 tooth to balance out the low gears when I'm doing a lot of highway. It started when I put the 50 tooth rear, 15 tooth front on. I use the 50/15 for local and trail riding, then swap in the 17 tooth front when I take trips as that gets back to about the same RPM at highway speed as stock. With the 50/15 combo the RPMs are pretty high at 75mph. This weekend will actually be the first time I run the 17.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #1706
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
I got my hard parts in the mail yesterday. I've got no bike to put them on yet. Did you guys paint or powdercoat yours? How are they holding up either way?(some custom mods may be required). What do you guy's think?
I powdercoated mine. Mine have taken at least a dozen hits and they are holding up fine. 'Cept of course the powdercoating is scraped off on the bottom.

Quote:
I think I'm going to order BMW crash bars and an Adventum Skid (some custom mods may be required). What do you guy's think?
You might want to go to Andrew's Vendor thread to ask about fitment with the BMW bars. I don't have Andrew's bash plate, but based on the pics I've seen you can't have both. Andrew's bash plate is so large, though, that it pretty much makes the BMW bars unnecessary.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #1707
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,353
Quote:
Drone has fancy valve stem caps and no clutch chatter, so that should answer your question :)
Are making fun of my Accupressure caps? Make no mistake, guys, these caps are great! In addition to smoothing out your clutch, they balance your wheels, remove the vibration from your bars, make the seat more comfortable, and increase your MPG by 10%. They make the rider look younger and sexier, increase your self-confidence, and in turn improve your riding skills. They clean your faceshield when it gets buggy and oil your chain when it gets dry. A real fine accessory IMO. And they only cost like $5!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #1708
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE
Are making fun of my Accupressure caps? Make no mistake, guys, these caps are great! In addition to smoothing out your clutch, they balance your wheels, remove the vibration from your bars, make the seat more comfortable, and increase your MPG by 10%. They make the rider look younger and sexier, increase your self-confidence, and in turn improve your riding skills. They clean your faceshield when it gets buggy and oil your chain when it gets dry. A real fine accessory IMO. And they only cost like $5!
But it doesn't seem like they enhance the blinker fluid, so obviously they are not worth $5!
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #1709
kalli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I installed a Hepco & Becker rack, so I could use the Gobi hard case that I bought for my F800GS. Some picks....

From web
From web

From web

From web

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #1710
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:

5chord,
Should I go shaken or stirred for these blends?

Andrew
In a blender ONLY if the vortex is counter clockwise. Otherwise you need a spoon