User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #286
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,227
klunky shifting

[No luck with this post in The Garage, so I'm soliciting comments form Xcountry owners.]

Just the last couple of days my shifting has gone from quite smooth to ... a loud(er) klunk/snap, with a perceptible snap-back of the shift lever against the top of my foot at the end of the gear change. Going from 1st to 2nd, it also feels like a quick double klunk. It is smoother if I shift in low RPMs. The freeplay on the clutch seems about right, I think, and the friction zone is around the 3/4 out range. The bike in question is a brand new BMW Xcountry, with almost 600 miles on it -- scheduled to drop it off for the run-in service tomorrow. But I thought I'd ask for any pearls of wisdom here first. Eh? Also, could the slight jump forward of the bike when, at stand still, shifting from neutral to first be related. How does your Xcountry shift? And did things change with miles put on?

Cheers,
-mat
matloik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #287
mcftw
hxc n33b

Oddometer: 454
my Challenge does the exact same thing, but it helps me shift into nuetral: if it clunks i'm in 2nd if there's no clunk then im in nuetral!

my neutral light doesn't work all the time so i improvise.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #288
loco rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I've had my Xcountry for less than two weeks, bought it used with 630 miles. It now has 1,500. It shifts just as you describe. I took it to the dealer to have them check things out and perform any outstanding service bulletins (there was one). Everything checked out -- sounds like what you describe is normal.
loco rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #289
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,924
Clunky shifting..

It was the same on my bike...advrider Smithy (has an xchallenge) posted that switching to synthetic oil dramatically smoothed things out...Of course, it is not recommended that you do this switch until the engine is FULLY broken in. Somewhere in the 4-6000 mile range...Depending on how you ride and maintain your bike.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #290
shua
plays in snow

Oddometer: 225
My bike also shifts like this except for it is only at low rpm's. When I shift with the revs up a little its smooth as can be.
shua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #291
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Shifting

Mine had issues shifting around neutral, 1st, 2nd at slow speeds when I first got it. I took it in several times for cable adjustment and after about 1800 miles the bike started shifting like a BMW should. The clutch adjustment is sensitive and has to be calibrated just right for the rider. I've never heard any abnormally loud clunk/snap sounds, though.
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #292
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I've got my dealer to look at the clutch outer cable that seems to me not long enough for the bike which force to unscrew almost all the way the clutch adjustment system to have the gear change working smoother. Unfortunatly they did not change the cable but instead readjusted the cable back to its sytandard adjustment (3mm gap). I really think that this cable is not properly choosen for this bike.
You can still give more tension to the cable and see if it help. I'm sure it will.

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #293
matloik
kludge

clutch adjustment at fork lever?

What about adjusting the clutch at the other end -- down at the fork lever? Couldn't you move the lever toward the back one notch on the spline, effectively increasing the distance the cable needs to travel? Then you could screw in the adjuster at the handle. Or ... would this then move the friction zone closer to handle bar?

BTW, bringing my bike in right now. Will report back on results in a week after I pick it up (going out of town). I've got a stuck rear shock damping screw and spontaneous left turn signal for them to fix also. The left turn signal has a mind of it's own, turning on now and then. Actually the wind might be causing it -- touchy electrical connection -- as I can repeat the issue by accelerating hard from 45 - 60.

-mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66
I've got my dealer to look at the clutch outer cable that seems to me not long enough for the bike which force to unscrew almost all the way the clutch adjustment system to have the gear change working smoother. Unfortunatly they did not change the cable but instead readjusted the cable back to its sytandard adjustment (3mm gap). I really think that this cable is not properly choosen for this bike.
You can still give more tension to the cable and see if it help. I'm sure it will.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #294
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,191
well, imagine that, a clunky shifting BMW...who would have thought

i really like this bike and have been following the comments.
mpg looks impressive too, I will be curious of what it is when they have 20K on them along with the other quirks too.

my use of the bike would be just to run around on since my FJR is my sled of choice for road trip.

keep it up
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #295
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
...spontaneous left turn signal for them to fix also. The left turn signal has a mind of it's own, turning on now and then.
lol, my xchallenge does the same thing. Also, my tranny is clunky in low gears at low speed.
Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #296
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
What about adjusting the clutch at the other end -- down at the fork lever? Couldn't you move the lever toward the back one notch on the spline, effectively increasing the distance the cable needs to travel? Then you could screw in the adjuster at the handle. Or ... would this then move the friction zone closer to handle bar?
-mat
Well I tried to move one notch on the bottom lever but It hit the engine cover each time I released the clutch.
So, if you don't want to spend money or they don't want to change you clutch cable the only way is to screw in the adjuster a lot until you feel it's smooth enough for you. Just live it like this but soon or later when the disks worn away you won't be able to adjust the clutch anymore!

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011

lewiss66 screwed with this post 06-20-2008 at 01:52 PM
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #297
shua
plays in snow

Oddometer: 225
Man do I love this bike. I ride it as much as possible. I've got 1500 miles on it so far with out any problems. Last weekend I went trail riding all morning, It was covered in mud from top to bottom. Got home and washed it off, threw the wife on the back and went riding with my buddies on there street bikes. It's not the best trail bike, or the best street bike. But it's all fun
shua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #298
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,660
Well, I laid my X Couintry down hard in the dirt yesterday, snapped the gear shift off. In case anyone else might find it usefull, the shifter off an old Honda CB 350 will work in a pinch. Actually works quite well.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #299
deli-g650
bring'n the funk

Oddometer: 195
this is where i am from. about 10 miles south east of winthrop. i havent been able to get my x-country back there yet though. it is such an awsome place to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoisheLettvin
Here are a couple of shots from a trip I took out to Winthrop, WA:

Northeast of Plain:

Somewhere between Winthrop & Omak:

Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #300
matloik
kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
Well, I laid my X Couintry down hard in the dirt yesterday, snapped the gear shift off. In case anyone else might find it usefull, the shifter off an old Honda CB 350 will work in a pinch. Actually works quite well.
I guess from what I read it's lucky the lever broke, not the shaft. I guess having a spare might be a good idea ... as well as maybe drilling a couple holes through the lever to weaken the it, so it will snap instead of the shaft. I think I read and saw pics of this on an Xchallenge thread.

-mat