Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #4171
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
Camera is busted at the moment, I'll see what I can do though. The mounting instruction notes say it's "Shock absorber BM633 for BMW G 650 X moto", so the part number is BM633.

I measured up the Xchallenge side stand, it's too long being 10 cm longer than the stock Xcountry side stand. No surprise there. Yeah the Xmoto might work, trouble is I'm in Australia and I think from this part of the world it will be easier to modify the current side stand.
You are right it probably would be better to modify your existing side stand, I looked up the price of a new X-Moto side stand and it lists for $119.00 US.

I'm sorry for so many questions but I am seriously thinking of buying this shock. Has raising the rear of the bike affected the handling? Have you changed the front fork springs to stiffer springs? I realize now (like you stated) the remote part is a reservoir and not a preload adjuster. If you get a chance I would love to see a picture of the reservoir location.

It sure looks pretty, but this stock photo of the BM633 shows a clevis type mount on the bottom?

Thanks, Scott

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside

ScottV screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 02:09 PM
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #4172
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
You are right it probably would be better to modify your existing side stand, I looked up the price of a new X-Moto side stand and it lists for $119.00 US.

I'm sorry for so many questions but I am seriously thinking of buying this shock. Has raising the rear of the bike affected the handling? Have you changed the front fork springs to stiffer springs? I realize now (like you stated) the remote part is a reservoir and not a preload adjuster. If you get a chance I would love to see a picture of the reservoir location.

It sure looks pretty, but this stock photo of the BM633 shows a clevis type mount on the bottom?

Thanks, Scott
Scott I don't mind questions, I've asked enough of them on this forum my self.

Thanks for posting the price of a Xmoto side stand, I was wondering and have very quickly decided I'll modify the stock side stand.

I haven't touched the front forks, though I am now wondering if it would benefit from some modification now I've done the rear. I knew that would happen!!! Yes it does ride a little differently now as the rear of the bike is higher. I'd describe it as a more aggressive position. Mostly it's good and I prefer it, but I did come unstuck breaking before a corner on dirt. It was just after the new shock was put in, on a steepish decline with road pressures in worn TKC80's and the road surface was hard pack dirt with a few gravely bits over the top - the sort of surface I struggle with. Locked up the rear wheel in slowing for the sharp corner and it slid out from under me quick smart. Didn't get the usual feel of it letting go, but under the circumstances I'm not surprised. Didn't help I was daydreaming! This is kinda off topic but I have to tell you the next bit. My brother came back in the car as I wasn't behind him anymore and I can't pick up the bike at the moment due to surgery a few months back. My lovely 7 year old nephews response to my prone bike was as look of confusion and "But how can that happen Aunty Jane, you're a professional". Oh I wish and no wonder I love him. Anyway, back to your questions, other than this incident which I put down to rider error, the bike handles much better, the rear wheel keeps much better contact with the road surface so sticks. The new shock has made me a much better rider, although I'm still getting used to it with different tyres.

The mount in the photo you posted is different to the shock I bought. Mine is exactly the same mounting points as the stock shock so that bit is easy to fit. The hard bit is getting to the mounting points, it took quite a bit of nutting out. However with some careful work and thinking it through before doing anything, Chad managed to get the old shock out and the new one in by removing a few "tank" panels and the seat so he could see what was going on at the top end. He removed the rear wheel and swinging arm, then performed some mechanical gymnastics to get at the various bolts. He did it in 3 1/2 hours, with a few breaks for letting off steam and swearing a bit!!!

If I get time tonight I'll do a drawing since the camera isn't working.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #4173
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
The mount in the photo you posted is different to the shock I bought.

Mine is exactly the same mounting points as the stock shock so that bit is easy to fit. The hard bit is getting to the mounting points, it took quite a bit of nutting out. However with some careful work and thinking it through before doing anything, Chad managed to get the old shock out and the new one in by removing a few "tank" panels and the seat so he could see what was going on at the top end. He removed the rear wheel and swinging arm, then performed some mechanical gymnastics to get at the various bolts. He did it in 3 1/2 hours, with a few breaks for letting off steam and swearing a bit!!!

If I get time tonight I'll do a drawing since the camera isn't working.
Referring to my external website about shock replacement:

Yeah the Ohlins XMoto BM633 web page shows a generic photo and the wrong type of bottom mount. But I can't imagine why you would need to remove the swingarm?? If you go to that XMoto BM633 site and download the Mounting Instructions .pdf file, it doesn't say you need to remove the swingarm?? (and it also shows the proper bottom mount and).
So... I believe you but I don't understand Why?

Below is a pic from my website, and it was simple to slip the Sachs out and the Wilbers in, as others can testify to. As I recall you only have to remove the mudguard. I don't see how the remote reservoir on the Ohlins would complicate that but maybe that is the reason.

The Ohlins XMoto I think would be a great deal not just the quality but in terms of price (possibly) and most importantly: Dimensions! It really isn't any longer of a mount length than the '07 XCo with the lower heim joint fully extended, yet gives you 37mm more wheel travel than the '07 OEM shock!! (according to my calculations). THAT'S 1.5 INCHES PEOPLE!!! This is a problem with the *standard* Wilbers 642 shock as it's wheel travel (stroke) is not enough! That is why I carefully calculated and asked questions and got a custom Wilbers (longer stroke but not longer mount length at same price since all Wilbers are made to order, unlike Ohlins which only put a spring on per your specs).

Jane you must have an '09 if you need to increase your kickstand length, because for the '07 comparison to the Stock SACHS: The mount length of the Ohlins XMoto is about the same yet I can almost guarantee that it will have more loaded sag than the stock shock even with the preload set to the max on it since the spring is too soft and the compression damping too weak. So I expect for an '07 bike you will get very close to or an even lower seat height yet more wheel travel (say goodbye to your license plate - FARFS!).

But I think the Ohlins is going to work out great especially if you can still get it for a discount (again see my web page) like you could last summer, but I fear that since they are no longer in stock in the US you might have trouble getting that price anymore - somebody ask Kyle and start a group buy! (not for me ).

The Only issue I see is a good way to mount the reservoir - but hey the XChallenge guys do it and our bodywork is different there but that is about all. The reason I didn't buy the Ohlins was: I was in a hurry and it was not in stock in the US, nobody else had said they had tried it (thanks Jane!), and the manufacturer had not designed it for fitment and actually tested it on an XCountry. Since I had to wait anyhow I ordered a Wilbers but probably for a lot more money!

Good luck!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #4174
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Happy New Year!

Ok I don't remember anybody else here saying it yet... so...

HAPPY NEW YEAR to this global XCountry world we have created here!!!

Here's to a year with minimal broken XCountry's, broken wallets and broken bones!!
The last 9 months hangin' with all of you has been, well amazing and quite unexpected!

Tomorrow I start a new job at a place I worked for over 20 years earlier in my career... so I'm hopin' for a good year in many ways, and I just want to say:

LET'S ALL TACKLE 2011 and TAKE IT BY THE HORNS !

Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #4175
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Yeah Snooker as I've said before, I do have an '09 bike. Mudguard was not removed to fit the Ohlins.

Happy New year
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #4176
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,994
It would be a happier new year with less snow

Matt- Your horns are backwards. Did you wire them up correctly? You might change that before your new boss sees it
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #4177
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
So are we back around to saying the Ohlins shock is the way to go for most people ? From past posts, I thought Ohlins were "junk" and Wilbers was the only way to go. Even Ted Porter, who sells both, told me that Wilbers were far superior.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #4178
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
So are we back around to saying the Ohlins shock is the way to go for most people ? From past posts, I thought Ohlins were "junk" and Wilbers was the only way to go. Even Ted Porter, who sells both, told me that Wilbers were far superior.
No that's not what is being said, apparently I'm the only person who has posted that I have put in an Ohlins shock. The Wilbers may be better, but in my part of the world it is not always easy to get parts and Chad who put the new shock in likes Ohlins. As it was I had to wait about 2 months for it.

But I think we could conclude that almost any shock is better than the stock Sachs and I personally am very happy with my Ohlins.

Who's Ted Porter anyway? Should I care???
Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #4179
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
No that's not what is being said, apparently I'm the only person who has posted that I have put in an Ohlins shock. The Wilbers may be better, but in my part of the world it is not always easy to get parts and Chad who put the new shock in likes Ohlins. As it was I had to wait about 2 months for it.

But I think we could conclude that almost any shock is better than the stock Sachs and I personally am very happy with my Ohlins.

Who's Ted Porter anyway? Should I care???
Ted is the reason I bought Wilbers for my GSA. He currently runs an independent BMW shop (www.beemershop.com) in central California.

But to the point: Ted knows how to set-up and work with Wilbers. Many individuals "tune" Ohlins, but some don't know what they're doing.

If you know someone who knows Ohlins, they're fine and dandy.

My $0.02.

Scooter will give his $0.02, and I think from his perspective, Ohlins doesn't make a shock the exact length and stroke for a XCountry -- one that "matches" the front fork length.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #4180
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Ted is the reason I bought Wilbers for my GSA. He currently runs an independent BMW shop (www.beemershop.com) in central California.

But to the point: Ted knows how to set-up and work with Wilbers. Many individuals "tune" Ohlins, but some don't know what they're doing.

If you know someone who knows Ohlins, they're fine and dandy.

My $0.02.

Scooter will give his $0.02, and I think from his perspective, Ohlins doesn't make a shock the exact length and stroke for a XCountry -- one that "matches" the front fork length.
Thanks Geoffster.
Chad just does suspension for dirt bikes, that's one of the reasons I used him and he knows Ohlins. He sets up bikes for the Australian Safari and the like, and is very well respected over here. He's also a top bloke. http://www.chadsoffroadsetups.com.au/

As far as my bike goes, I'm very impressed with the Ohlins and of course I can't compare it to the Wilbers.

I'm not too worried about matching the fork length as my '09 bike was lower in the rear than the '07 anyway. I have slid the forks down in the triple clamps, so I figure it's now like an '07 bike. I don't ride well enough to notice tinny differences anyway, also half or more of my riding is off road.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #4181
Reata Rover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Shop Manual for X-Country Sorry for the Hi-Jack

Anyone know of availability?

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke, British statesman and philosopher
Reata Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #4182
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Hey folks,

Looks like I'll be leaving the world of the X-Country, I'm going to look at a 2010 KTM 450EXC today. Lightly used with only 700kms on it. I love the X-Country, but have decided that I enjoy riding in the dirt more than on the road, and may try a couple of enduros and hare scrambles this summer.

I would love to keep both bikes, but the finance minister says only one in the garage.

Thanks to everyone on the this forum for all their insight and help over the past 3 years, a lot of good information here.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #4183
morabo
save the karoo!

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Hey folks,

Looks like I'll be leaving the world of the X-Country, I'm going to look at a 2010 KTM 450EXC today. Lightly used with only 700kms on it. I love the X-Country, but have decided that I enjoy riding in the dirt more than on the road, and may try a couple of enduros and hare scrambles this summer.

I would love to keep both bikes, but the finance minister says only one in the garage.

Thanks to everyone on the this forum for all their insight and help over the past 3 years, a lot of good information here.
Good luck with the new bike! I've always loved the dirt and the KTM (owned 125sxs and 450exc) and the Xco was my first road legal bike. I'm so glad for that however I'm also riding a diferent bike now. 1150gs and thinking what to do with the Country... I wanted to sell it too but the prices here in Czech rep. are so low, that I may rebuilt it for the dirt intead of giving it someone "for free". Any ideas what to changes worth the value? Forks, rims, shock, etc..?
For those who want to know how my daily ride to work looks like ;-) :
http://vimeo.com/54363864
morabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #4184
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by morabo View Post
Good luck with the new bike! I've always loved the dirt and the KTM (owned 125sxs and 450exc) and the Xco was my first road legal bike. I'm so glad for that however I'm also riding a diferent bike now. 1150gs and thinking what to do with the Country... I wanted to sell it too but the prices here in Czech rep. are so low, that I may rebuilt it for the dirt intead of giving it someone "for free". Any ideas what to changes worth the value? Forks, rims, shock, etc..?
Definitly suspensions!

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #4185
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Yeah Snooker as I've said before, I do have an '09 bike. Mudguard was not removed to fit the Ohlins.

Happy New year
Hmmm.... well it just seems like if you remove the short little shock mudguard itself then you can easily just remove it.

BTW I'm certainly not saying the Wilbers is better or worse than the Ohlins, but until somebody tries or rides both of them it is just specs on paper and fitment to compare to. If somebody could report on availability and price in the US for the BM633 XMoto Ohlins then that might make a big difference. Like I said, last I checked it is not discontinued per se, just clearanced off the shelf by Ohlins USA but still available by special order from Ohlins mothership (Sweden?). Somebody interested could call Kyle racing and ask Dan about prices...