ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #5041
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!
 
jjmead1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Yes, the super-duper Wilbers is close to $1,200. But that's the super-duper model.

I paid $569 for each Wilbers for my GSA. Hydraulic preload -- which I did not buy -- was an additional $175.

I bought premium shocks in the same category as the Suckz shock that came on my XCountry. Not an upgrade in type, but an upgrade in quality.

If you ever hold the two side-by-side as I have, you'll be convinced that respringing-re-whatevering the Suckz shock is like adding bling to your unrestored AMC Pacer.

Ted form Ted's Beamers would not even consider selling me the $569 model. Told me twice it would not last. So if HE would not recommend me buying that then there is NO way I would.

There is also no way the wife is going to let me drop $1200 on a shock while we are both in college ( again)

So that leaves me with the next best option in my mind. Spending what she that calls the shots will let me. I mean really, I have already decided you can't make this shock worse

jjmead1 screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 06:19 PM Reason: added $ sign
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #5042
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,649
Bullshit, old guys always ride like they're nuts.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #5043
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!
 
jjmead1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
bullshit, old guys always ride like they're nuts.
+1
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #5044
purdsam
Adventurer
 
purdsam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
Ted form Ted's Beamers would not even consider selling me the $569 model. Told me twice it would not last. So if HE would not recommend me buying that then there is NO way I would.
Ted told me the same thing. He made it sound like the Wilbers 640 shock would blow up if the rear wheel ever touched dirt. I described my riding conditions as:
"Most (>75%) of my riding is pavement, with the
remaining 25-30 % gravel roads. I don't plan on doing much more than
gravel and basic fire trials"

His reply was:
"The 640 shock is an emulsion shock which is fine for street riding. When you put it on the dirt it heats up, it is not designed for extensive (25%) off road riding. You asked what was the best shock for you, the answer is the 642 model since it has a high speed comporession circuit for off road riding.
I have a customer with a G650 who, like all of us, wanted to buy the cheaper shock. Then he sent it to me because it was leaking. I took it apart to find very smelly burnt oil, he clearly overheated it. I sometimes repeat to others what he told me, he said "you know Ted, you get over spending the money, but you never get over buying the wrong thing, I think I bought the wrong shock". I agreed with him.
You can buy whichever shock you wish, but you asked me what is the correct shock for you based on your description of your riding habits and I have answered that question. :) Leaks caused by overheating are not covered under warranty."

Hmm...I guess the term "off-raod" riding can cover a wide range of situations. I ended up going with the XCh air shock. Now I just have to wait 5 months to finish my deployment to try it out
purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #5045
Niedz
Studly Adventurer
 
Niedz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 609
hey thats a bummer to hear. i was considering the "cheap" wilburs. i guess ill keep an eye out for an x-challenge shock.
__________________
fabrication fun, rack n roll
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #5046
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!
 
jjmead1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdsam View Post
Ted told me the same thing. He made it sound like the Wilbers 640 shock would blow up if the rear wheel ever touched dirt. I described my riding conditions as:
"Most (>75%) of my riding is pavement, with the
remaining 25-30 % gravel roads. I don't plan on doing much more than
gravel and basic fire trials"

His reply was:
"The 640 shock is an emulsion shock which is fine for street riding. When you put it on the dirt it heats up, it is not designed for extensive (25%) off road riding. You asked what was the best shock for you, the answer is the 642 model since it has a high speed comporession circuit for off road riding.
I have a customer with a G650 who, like all of us, wanted to buy the cheaper shock. Then he sent it to me because it was leaking. I took it apart to find very smelly burnt oil, he clearly overheated it. I sometimes repeat to others what he told me, he said "you know Ted, you get over spending the money, but you never get over buying the wrong thing, I think I bought the wrong shock". I agreed with him.
You can buy whichever shock you wish, but you asked me what is the correct shock for you based on your description of your riding habits and I have answered that question. :) Leaks caused by overheating are not covered under warranty."

Hmm...I guess the term "off-raod" riding can cover a wide range of situations. I ended up going with the XCh air shock. Now I just have to wait 5 months to finish my deployment to try it out
Yeah that sounds very very familiar.

I guess I am spending half of the full blown wilburs in cost. I am ok with that if it improves the shock to where my bike is rideable. I mean face it its a scrambler/enduro so no matter how you cut it the bike itself is only half good at what it s doing anyway right
Using my bicycle experience increasing the spring weight and re valving the shock to have a increase in plushness makes sense. And at any rate, she who calls the shots is only going to let $600 go towards this investment anyway.
I hope to have the shock back by the end of the month for a trip to Telluride. I also hope to have good things to say so we have another option, one that's a little less $$$$$$$.

Now back to picture and ride report posts
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #5047
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!
 
jjmead1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz View Post
hey thats a bummer to hear. i was considering the "cheap" wilburs. i guess ill keep an eye out for an x-challenge shock.
What is one paying for the x challenge shock?????

I know where one is sitting around collecting dust. ( Assuming we are talking about the large Continental air baffle thing)
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #5048
Niedz
Studly Adventurer
 
Niedz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 609
ive seen them go anywhere from 150-300.

talk to me about this dusty one, im interested.
__________________
fabrication fun, rack n roll
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #5049
dieselwolf
Adventurer
 
dieselwolf's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Westchester, NY
Oddometer: 26
I hope it depends on what type off-road, what speed and rider weight because I was sold the 640 when I called that I need a shock to lower the X-Country. And I did not care about the price. (No, not that rich, but I believe in "do it once but do it right").
So the descriptions are sandy/rocky roads, not faster than 45 ish.
LOWER 30 MM (and an other 20mm sag)
RIDER 125 LBS
NO LUGG, NO PASS
DIRT ROADS 75%
LOCAL ROADS

I hope it won't blow under my butt!
dieselwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #5050
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
What is one paying for the x challenge shock?????

I know where one is sitting around collecting dust. ( Assuming we are talking about the large Continental air baffle thing)
I gave $175 for one shipped, and less than $100 for another one in a package deal of Challenge parts. I am holding on to the second one as I don't think anyone has a real good feel for the life span on them.

I'm going to call Moto Pro on Monday and ask him if he wants this brand new Sachs I have to play with for a while.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #5051
Niedz
Studly Adventurer
 
Niedz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I gave $175 for one shipped, and less than $100 for another one in a package deal of Challenge parts. I am holding on to the second one as I don't think anyone has a real good feel for the life span on them.

I'm going to call Moto Pro on Monday and ask him if he wants this brand new Sachs I have to play with for a while.
how bout you have him work over that sachs, then send it to me for testing.

i will test it FREE OF CHARGE!!!
__________________
fabrication fun, rack n roll
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #5052
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,649
Hmm i have a set of challenge forks, i wonder if he wants to have a look at those?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #5053
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,649
When i get those qustions from customers my answer is always a variation of "what will you do to it" or "how well will you take care of it". We have found being bluntly honest with people seems to work. Had a customer bring their kids quad in and he didnt like the estimate and asked why it was going to cost so much. I told him because its beat to crap and wasnt taken care of. I already knew he was the original owner. The down side is he not only paid the bill and left happy but is bringing me another disaster to work on.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #5054
Niedz
Studly Adventurer
 
Niedz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
The down side is he not only paid the bill and left happy but is bringing me another disaster to work on.
haha, sounds like some of my past experience in bicycle shops. badly neglected bicycle, needs a shit ton of work. customer initially complains about the estimate, we explain why and what it needs, do the work, they pay and are BLOWN AWAY at how amazing the fully functioning machine feels. then they bring in the next jalopy...

good way to make repeat customers though!
__________________
fabrication fun, rack n roll
Niedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #5055
682202
Gnarly Adventurer
 
682202's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: in the middle
Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post
What is one paying for the x challenge shock?????

I know where one is sitting around collecting dust. ( Assuming we are talking about the large Continental air baffle thing)
I think I paid $150 last fall.
__________________
1996 R850r
2009 G650X Country
2009 Xciting R250i
My Adventures on two wheels
Have You Had Your Pizza Today?
682202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014