Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #5671
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
so the x country has only 2.5g of gas correct?
i'm interested in it for touring, but wonder how far you get between tanks?

i've seen the $700 extra tank option but that a crazy amount of $ for a tank.
i would be using racks and hard bags and it looks like there is plenty of room on the rear backside space of the racks for 2 mega tool tubes with fuel and maybe a third. http://www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #5672
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

i would be using racks and hard bags and it looks like there is plenty of room on the rear backside space of the racks for 2 mega tool tubes with fuel and maybe a third. http://www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html
Bill--

There's been a few posts about this. As you can guess, mileage is affected greatly by how much you use your wrist. Also, headwind or tailwind can have a big effect especially with the bike all loaded up with bags etc. A small windscreen can actually help to improve your mpgs--I saw like about a 5% improvement when I added the Wunderlich screen. Also of course a bigger rider will push more air than a little guy so the little guys get better mileage.

To answer your question, I'm a big guy with a windscreen and a "medium" hand on the throttle, and when I'm fully loaded with cases and bags the low gas light comes on at about 100 miles and I can easily go another 20. I have gone dry twice, and both times it was right around 135 miles.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #5673
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz View Post
Hey its me again!

Getting the bike stripped down for cleaning/inspection/etc.

After this weekends ride, on the way home she was running pretty rough.

Pulled the plugs, and the outboard plug insulator is cracked along the body of the plug. Thats weird right?
Based on that picture of your headlight full of water the other day, I'd say that was not weird. It would be weird for the rest of us, though!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #5674
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
thnx for the info.

so why did bmw kill off the X series so fast?
between these bikes, the 450, the 1200ST and a few others they seem spend alot of $ on r&d that gets flushed down the tube fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Bill--

There's been a few posts about this. As you can guess, mileage is affected greatly by how much you use your wrist. Also, headwind or tailwind can have a big effect especially with the bike all loaded up with bags etc. A small windscreen can actually help to improve your mpgs--I saw like about a 5% improvement when I added the Wunderlich screen. Also of course a bigger rider will push more air than a little guy so the little guys get better mileage.

To answer your question, I'm a big guy with a windscreen and a "medium" hand on the throttle, and when I'm fully loaded with cases and bags the low gas light comes on at about 100 miles and I can easily go another 20. I have gone dry twice, and both times it was right around 135 miles.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #5675
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,662
I think the biggest problem with the X series was that they were too expensive in the minds of most Americans considering a 650. Any Japanese 650 single could be had for about half the cost of the BMW. Most prospective purchasers did not know the advantages of the BMW over the cheaper bikes and, even if they knew those advantages, they couldnt justify springing for twice the cash. Young kids especially couldnt afford them.

Regarding the various marketing failures of the ST, the CL, the Rockster and other funky-looking Beemer models, they didnt sell because they were ugly. I should say - ugly for too many people. BMW gets on these tears of wonkish designs every once in a while that just dont cut the mustard in the market place.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #5676
Bykemeister
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
i now have the '07 seat on my '09, with the suspension properly adjusted
for my height, so i'm a happy camper.
well, almost...........
every time i start the bike when cold, it takes 5 or 6 tries before it will idle properly.
start, run, quit, start, run ,quit, start, run, quit.......................you get the idea.

is this typical of this model, or is this just MY luck?
thanks.
04 Kawasaki KLR 650
06 Suzuki DRZ 400

you can play shuffleboard for five years and age ten, or ride a motorcycle for ten years and age five.
Bykemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #5677
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
check the battery. if the battery is good, then the idle actuator could be gummed up.
also reset the throttle position sensor, dont remember the exact sequence, something like turn the ignition on, let the computer do its thing, then open the throttle max, then turn off the ignition, or something along those lines.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #5678
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
thnx for the info.

so why did bmw kill off the X series so fast?
between these bikes, the 450, the 1200ST and a few others they seem spend alot of $ on r&d that gets flushed down the tube fast.
Remember the history.

The wildly successful (for a small company) F650GS was in the process of being replaced by the F650GS (twin) and F800GS. Both answered the questions of less vibration and more power. The "650" was intended to replace the F650GS and the 800 was to replace the F650 Dakar.

In the midst of this transition BMW introduced a trio of 650s with high price-points. Pointless. Lovers of the F650 were waiting for the still-in-development twins.

What I take away from all this is BMW is too small of a company with too small of a customer base to segment its models the way it has done from time to time. (Actually, even the big four from Japan have done this.)

IMHO, BMW has prospered when it has produced a limited number of models and let the user-base customize them themselves. It seems to have failed when it has made specialized models.

I wish that instead of segmenting the G650X line into three bikes, BMW had made one 2007 650GS much like the XCountry. That imaginary bike might have competitive against the heavier and less powerful KLR, even with a much higher price point.
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #5679
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Remember the history.

The wildly successful (for a small company) F650GS was in the process of being replaced by the F650GS (twin) and F800GS. Both answered the questions of less vibration and more power. The "650" was intended to replace the F650GS and the 800 was to replace the F650 Dakar.

In the midst of this transition BMW introduced a trio of 650s with high price-points. Pointless. Lovers of the F650 were waiting for the still-in-development twins.

What I take away from all this is BMW is too small of a company with too small of a customer base to segment its models the way it has done from time to time. (Actually, even the big four from Japan have done this.)

IMHO, BMW has prospered when it has produced a limited number of models and let the user-base customize them themselves. It seems to have failed when it has made specialized models.

I wish that instead of segmenting the G650X line into three bikes, BMW had made one 2007 650GS much like the XCountry. That imaginary bike might have competitive against the heavier and less powerful KLR, even with a much higher price point.
Not hatin' on the XCountry, BTW.

Just thinking that a lightweight 650GS would have more owners, therefore, more accessories.

And a bigger fuel tank.
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #5680
XFrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I get 70 MPG seems like no matter how I ride--even on dirt roads. Light comes on about 140, leaving 1/2 gallon of range (about 35 more miles). I have never pushed it all the way to empty as on longer rides I have a 3L tank of gas I strap on which puts my range at about 225 miles. I know a lot of people seem worried about the size of the tank, but good grief it gets good mileage. The range is better or equal to a lot of bikes with much bigger tanks.

Xfrog

Quote:

XFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #5681
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bykemeister View Post
well, almost...........
every time i start the bike when cold, it takes 5 or 6 tries before it will idle properly.
start, run, quit, start, run ,quit, start, run, quit.......................you get the idea.

thanks.
Glad you found somebody to do the seat swap with.

The problem with starting is not typical. Have you read through the "Issue Log" thread? The answer might be there. If not, add a post to that thread and see what others suggest.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #5682
XFrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
G650X Stalling Issue

In agreement with what others have said, this is not 'normal' and is repairable. That said, it is not entirely uncommon either, mine did this exact same thing when I bought it used. I was able to fix mine and it starts, idles and runs as smooth as can be now. All the information you need to fix this problem is out there in this thread and/or the web but it does take some sifting thru and there is some mis-information out there. I would do the following steps in this order. Details on how to do these things can be found elsewhere. I did not do the things in green to my bike but I have heard they may help, I am doing the plugs and air cleaner the next time I do a full service but my standard components are working great.
  • Clean the throttle body and pay particular attention to the idle actuator mechanism which gets gummed up.
  • Vent your crankcase breather to atmosphere, instead of back into the airbox, and it will keep it from getting gummed up again.
  • Reset throttle position sensor & idle actuator positioning. I think these two are the exact same procedure done by turning the key and holding the throttle in a certain position. You can actually hear the idle actuator move and calibrate itself.
  • Run a can of your favorite fuel injector cleaner thru the bike. I use Lucas.
  • Perform a canisterectomy.
  • Install a Booster Plug
  • Install an Odyssey PC310 battery and put a battery tender on it occasionally to keep it at optimum performance.
  • Switch to better gas...super unleaded at lower elevations. I use unleaded plus with good success at >5000' elevation.
  • New iridium tip spark plugs.
  • New Uni foam air fliter.
  • A problem with your ECU? See BMW dealer and have them pull fault codes.
I think the issue is a combination of things as the problem got less-and-less with each step I performed. Give it some time after making all the changes as the ECU seemed to adapt and it ran better after a few rides.

The stalling issue was a complete and utter annoyance to me and I spent a lot of time working on this. Please don't put it off, the bike is SO MUCH more fun when it runs right! I think it is even dangerous as I had it stall as I was pulling out into traffic and it scared the hell out of me.

Xfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bykemeister View Post
well, almost...........

thanks.

XFrog screwed with this post 09-26-2011 at 11:51 AM
XFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #5683
dip1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Mine will still stall when cold. It did have a computer remap done a while back. Seemed like it changed the idle a little at the time but can't tell since there isn't a tach. I live with it for now. It used to stall when it's really hot out and driven in the city. That hasn't happened since they remapped the computer. That problem was a pain in the ass and dangerous.
dip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #5684
kr1
SAR-EMT-40

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Glad you found somebody to do the seat swap with.
He traded with me and I also am a happy camper. I now have an '09 on my '07. Bykemeister was a good guy to deal with. No problems at all with the trade.

Keith
kr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #5685
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Does anybody else want to trade seats? I've got an 09 and would definitely go for a taller seat.
studad is online now   Reply With Quote