Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #5731
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Does anyone ever visit the X model section of F650.com ? Very little action over there.

Looks like the X models are gradually fading into history since BMW ceased production of them. The XCountry was cancelled 3 model years ago. The XMoto and XChallenge were eliminated 5 model years ago.

The small aftermarket offerings for the bike is already beginning to shrink.

Even some of the most enthusiastic owners who formed much of the thread content here in years past have moved on to other bikes and gotten out of the X.

There's a wealth of info here and we need to try to keep it going.
The thread started out mostly talking about mods. Then it evolved into talking about problems. Now it's moving towards maintenance issues. This is the normal evolution of a bike-specific thread.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #5732
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 130
Fresh blood!

Quote:
Does anyone ever visit the X model section of F650.com ? Very little action over there.

Looks like the X models are gradually fading into history since BMW ceased production of them. The XCountry was cancelled 3 model years ago. The XMoto and XChallenge were eliminated 5 model years ago.

The small aftermarket offerings for the bike is already beginning to shrink.

Even some of the most enthusiastic owners who formed much of the thread content here in years past have moved on to other bikes and gotten out of the X.

There's a wealth of info here and we need to try to keep it going.
(CUE MUSIC) Fresh enthusiasm rearing its head right here! A 2007 Xcountry will soon be my first bike! Less than 2,000 miles on it. It's on its way from the midwest to me here in Seattle. I read all >5,700 posts on this epic thread -- incredible resource, thank you! All my noob questions have been answered -- about eight times!
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #5733
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
welcome to the family!

what are you thinking your first mod/upgrade/farkle will be?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #5734
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 130
Pre-Farkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz View Post
welcome to the family!

what are you thinking your first mod/upgrade/farkle will be?
It's going to rain here for six months straight, so the bike will live down in my employer's humongous three-story underground garage. (That's just wrong on so many levels!) ...where I will continue learning how to ride when the garage is empty, evenings and weekends. (I took the MSF/Evergreen course, now real learning can start. Dirt course next spring.) I'm gearing up to drop it! I've got the folding shift lever and rear brake lever, ordered the scheff skid and motech training wheels, I mean bars. Hand guards next. Are axle sliders useful for low-speed garage drops?

Someday I really will take this bike to Alaska and the Yukon! And get eaten alive by bugs and see the aurora borealis! And eat from a can! Yeah!
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #5735
purdsam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
California and Oregon pics

Here are a few pics of my 3 week west coast trip. Full ride report coming soon!

From West Coast Trip '11

From West Coast Trip '11

From West Coast Trip '11

From West Coast Trip '11

From West Coast Trip '11

From West Coast Trip '11
purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #5736
seamarsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I can't think of a reason why anybody would want one. Since the shock is one of the biggest complaints there is for this bike, if anybody needs to replace the shock, why would they buy OEM?

I suppose maybe if it was a 2007 shock, maybe a 2009 owner would take it.

If I were you, I'd try "Free, plus cost of shipping."

Fair enough.. lol... I thought from reading some recent posts that they are not bad if rebuilt by a tuner... but yeah.. probably just languish in my basement:(
seamarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:19 AM   #5737
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Anybody know anything about upgrading the alternators from 280 watts to the 400 watt unit ?
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #5738
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
I've been wondering about that also.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #5739
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Anybody know anything about upgrading the alternators from 280 watts to the 400 watt unit ?
This was discussed earlier in the thread. I think the consensus was that it could be done but you'd have to upgrade the voltage regulator too. However, installing a bigger alternator would void the warranty on the engine, and since everybody's bike was still under warranty back then, nobody wanted to give it a try. Now that the warranty has expired on most of the X bikes, somebody ought to try it.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #5740
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, I'm sure it would work. Problem is the necessary parts are over $800 from BMW!

I'm not sure how many people need it. I would like it. I have a lot of long-distance touring add-ons that use a lotta juice - heated grips, extra front lights, added rear running lights, electric jacket stub-out for liner and gloves. On a cold day at low rpm's, the little motor struggles to keep up. I have a voltmeter, though so I can monitor things and not get stranded like I did last year in the remote woods of North Carolina.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #5741
imeny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
sr-raCING EXHAUST G650X WITH BAFLLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBf4HrRWQPE
imeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #5742
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure it would work. Problem is the necessary parts are over $800 from BMW!

I'm not sure how many people need it. I would like it. I have a lot of long-distance touring add-ons that use a lotta juice - heated grips, extra front lights, added rear running lights, electric jacket stub-out for liner and gloves. On a cold day at low rpm's, the little motor struggles to keep up. I have a voltmeter, though so I can monitor things and not get stranded like I did last year in the remote woods of North Carolina.
I wouldn't think you'd want to go with new parts. I think you'd be looking for somebody parting out a wrecked bike. The donor parts come from an F650.

Walter does some talking about doing it on his thread==pages 46 and 47.

Oh, and by the way, I can't remember my wedding anniversary like most of you guys, but remembering this shit is effortless. Am I weird?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #5743
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeny View Post
Thanks a lot imeny!
By the video It sounds not too loud. Maybe the less noisy after market exhausts!

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #5744
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I wouldn't think you'd want to go with new parts. I think you'd be looking for somebody parting out a wrecked bike. The donor parts come from an F650.

Walter does some talking about doing it on his thread==pages 46 and 47.
Sure, used parts are the obvious choice but very hard to find. I've been looking with no luck. Nobody has a wrecked engine that theyve pulled the alternator from.

If anyone knows of such, please let me know !
Old 10-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #5745
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, some good info on that earlier series of post on the XCh thread.

I do think one would need to replace BOTH the rotor and the stator. One thing that was mentioned that I had already wondered about is whether the extra weight of the heavier rotor would be felt when revving the motor.

Also, I'm wondering if a new cover would be necessary to accommodate the bigger rotor.