ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #5746
imeny
Gnarly Adventurer
 
imeny's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Israel
Oddometer: 129
sr-raCING EXHAUST G650X WITHOUT BAFLLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewiss66 View Post
Thanks a lot imeny!
By the video It sounds not too loud. Maybe the less noisy after market exhausts!
I take off the baffle from the exhaust and it's has the coolest sound in the world but it's very loud!!!
I will post another video in few days!!
imeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #5747
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Ham--

I would say it's not the right bike. XChallenge, OK. XCountry, no. It's basically a street bike that you can modify to use on dirt, as many here have, but it will never be a dirt bike or anything close to the TE610. It doesn't have the clearance, or the rear travel of a dirt bike, and the ergos are not right for a big guy standing even if you change the pegs and risers. Plus, by the time you finish doing all the mods you'll need to do just to make it work for a guy 6'3", you will have spent more than if you'd bought the Husqvarna or an XChallenge.

I'm 6'1". Snooker's tall--he might disagree--but for 70% dirt I'd say you want a different bike.
Drone - actually I'm 5'10" and 190 lbs, so not that tall!
But it really is a subjective thing saying 70% dirt... If you are willing to take it a bit slower (and fork out some cash for upgraded suspension) then the Xco could take most obstacles, but not as well as an XR650 or TE630. I think I'd look at getting one of those discounted '11 TE650 closeouts for $6500 or less if you can still find one. The TE has fuel injection too and if it is close to as perfected as our Xco... Well let's just say the FI is one of my favorite surprises - it is really nice to go from 0 to 12,000 feet with not even a thought about it!

I still love my XCo yet I have still seem to have rear suspension issues
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #5748
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything
 
snooker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Loveland, Colorado
Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
(CUE MUSIC) Fresh enthusiasm rearing its head right here! A 2007 Xcountry will soon be my first bike! Less than 2,000 miles on it. It's on its way from the midwest to me here in Seattle. I read all >5,700 posts on this epic thread -- incredible resource, thank you! All my noob questions have been answered -- about eight times!
THANK YOU! For making me smile! What song did you have in mind? Rocky theme song, or 2001 Space Odyssey or maybe Highway To Hell? Anyhow there are plenty of us that still love our XCountry... The "little big bike" - little and more off-road worthy when compared to a GS -- yet big and more road worthy when compared to say a DRZ400... Also love your handle - named after your dream ride. Just one thing... Er well we don't take kindly to outright liars and there is no way any sane person could have read all 5700 posts - NO WAY!

and Leafman... I have much respect for your experience level after your interesting tales... Yes I am guilty of trying to make my XCo more off-road worthy and it is still limited more than I'd like. I am having to take it easier than I want to sometimes, which is not ideal. But it is a compromise like all dual sport bikes going on and off road. I don't tour or camp with it so never added a lot of luggage space, so for me it is much better than a 650GS, but I can certainly see your side too. My use is 90% commuting on local paved roads but when I go off-road I tend to get a little rough and quickly push it past it's limits, even with all my mods.
__________________
Baja 2012 Ride Report ~~~ My 07 BMW G650 XCountry Thread | 03 Honda Shadow ACE 750 | 99 Honda XR400 ~~~

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #5749
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,617
Whatever works for whomever is good for me.

I certainly dont expect my preferences to be those of others.

I once knew a guy who took a V11 Sport Guzzi (road bike) for a dirt road runner. And, who was that guy some years ago who traveled around the world on all those god-awful mud roads on a damn crotch rocket ? Seems like it was one of those new Benelli sport bikes. Also, dont ever forget the one-legged dude who traveled around the world and through dirt road Africa on a shovelhead Harley cruiser ! lol

If they're happy, that's great.

leafman60 screwed with this post 10-15-2011 at 11:26 PM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #5750
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!
 
jjmead1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 543
Fork seal replacement?

Has anyone replaced the seals on the OEM fork? If so please do all the work and tell me how to do it step by step

I was hoping one of the Infamous would have a link to their blog or something on how to replace the seals and service the fork. I have repaired and serviced many Fox bicycle forks and can do so with ease, I figure the OEM fork on the XC can't be all that hard. Just need a few headsup on parts needed, oil weight/level, and tools required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. OH Yea, and an idea on amount of time it took you.......
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #5751
purdsam
Adventurer
 
purdsam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 59
Question Stock tires

Does anyone have a pair of the stock Tourances they would like to sell to me? I've checked the flea market already. Thanks--Sam
purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #5752
studad
Studly Adventurer
 
studad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Willow Springs, MO
Oddometer: 851
I'm about to hit some maintenance/ garage playtime on the XCountry. Let's start with the basics: Can somebody give me a link or a good description of how the spark plug comes out of these things? It looks like a lot more work than it should be.

Thanks, everybody.

Studad
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #5753
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 1,617
I changed mine recently. Changing the plug is easy. Getting to it is the challenge !

Check your throttle body for gunk and do a valve check while you have everything off. May as well.

(Be careful removing that little breather hose from the plastic valve cover.)
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #5754
alleyway61
Trans Euro
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Oddometer: 5
Blowing Fuses!!

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone had encountered any problems with the fuse for the rear light / headlamp high beam blowing? Mine keeps doing so only after a few miles of riding. It's proving to be a difficult one to diagnose, and it would be great for a heads-up of previously known issues (i.e. the whole LED tail light unit) before paying a mechanic bucket loads of labour to strip the bike back and test the whole wiring loom step by step until the source of the issue finally rears it head.


Its also annoying for personal reasons, as I was due to embark on a Euro tour with the bike only tomorrow, and will have to hang in limbo until I resolve the problem.


Any help would be great!
alleyway61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #5755
kr1
SAR-EMT-40
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut/New Hampshire
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyway61 View Post
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone had encountered any problems with the fuse for the rear light / headlamp high beam blowing? Mine keeps doing so only after a few miles of riding. It's proving to be a difficult one to diagnose, and it would be great for a heads-up of previously known issues (i.e. the whole LED tail light unit) before paying a mechanic bucket loads of labour to strip the bike back and test the whole wiring loom step by step until the source of the issue finally rears it head.


Its also annoying for personal reasons, as I was due to embark on a Euro tour with the bike only tomorrow, and will have to hang in limbo until I resolve the problem.


Any help would be great!

Several things to check. First are you certain it has been replaced with the right size fuse? Did you add anything to the headlight circuit that would increase the current draw? Did you remove and tighten anything that might be making a wire short that could cause the fuse to blow and last did you change the bulb to another bulb that might be drawing more current? Do you have a DVM or VOM that you can see what the current draw is on the circuit?

KR
kr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #5756
purdsam
Adventurer
 
purdsam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 59
South America preps

Here are some pics of the work done so far in Michigan with the help of my dad.

The new look from the rear with R&G Tail Tidy, Leo Vince exhaust, and Hot Rod Welding X-tank. Notice all the extra room the new LV leaves between the muffler and racks on the left side!
From SA prep


The X-tank required the H&B rack lower mounting point to come out a bit further. Thanks to my dad, it was no problem.
From SA prep


I cut the plastic down with a band saw to prevent it from rubbing on the tank.
From SA prep


I also added Lava wrap and an additional TT heat guard for the forward section of pipe.
From SA prep


New chain, Sprocket, and TT chain guide are next.
From SA prep


I also used snooker's idea and painted the gray plastic with truck bed liner.
From SA prep

From SA prep


This is one of the X's Italian cousins that will be making the trip to South America with me.
From SA prep
purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #5757
alleyway61
Trans Euro
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1 View Post
Several things to check. First are you certain it has been replaced with the right size fuse? Did you add anything to the headlight circuit that would increase the current draw? Did you remove and tighten anything that might be making a wire short that could cause the fuse to blow and last did you change the bulb to another bulb that might be drawing more current? Do you have a DVM or VOM that you can see what the current draw is on the circuit?

KR

Thanks for the reply. Yes the right size fuse has been used. replaced and re-blown a few times, this was a 7.5. I've also tried progressively stepping it up to a 15, though also these have blown. I've added nothing to the circuit, changed bulbs, or tightened anything to speak of.
I don't have DVM or VOM either to check the draw, though I agree this would be useful.

Any further thoughts?

alleyway61
alleyway61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #5758
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyway61 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes the right size fuse has been used. replaced and re-blown a few times, this was a 7.5. I've also tried progressively stepping it up to a 15, though also these have blown. I've added nothing to the circuit, changed bulbs, or tightened anything to speak of.
I don't have DVM or VOM either to check the draw, though I agree this would be useful.

Any further thoughts?

alleyway61
The main wiring harness on this bike is tight tight tight. I bet you got a spot somewhere where the insulation on a wire has rubbed through near where the harness passes under or over a hard spot. Impossible to find because the hard spot hides where the rubbing is happening. I'd start right near the battery box then follow the harness forward and back, finding the tight spots, and trying to get some electrical tape in there between the harness and the spot. Since this happens after a few miles of riding, I'd be suspicious of the area right under the seat. As the seat compresses, it might start to press down on the wiring somewhere, or start to pull it tight against a metal part. It's a shot in the dark, but that's my guess. How many miles you got on that bike?
__________________
WUMPA
Sidecardogs.com
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #5759
alleyway61
Trans Euro
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
The main wiring harness on this bike is tight tight tight. I bet you got a spot somewhere where the insulation on a wire has rubbed through near where the harness passes under or over a hard spot. Impossible to find because the hard spot hides where the rubbing is happening. I'd start right near the battery box then follow the harness forward and back, finding the tight spots, and trying to get some electrical tape in there between the harness and the spot. Since this happens after a few miles of riding, I'd be suspicious of the area right under the seat. As the seat compresses, it might start to press down on the wiring somewhere, or start to pull it tight against a metal part. It's a shot in the dark, but that's my guess. How many miles you got on that bike?

Thanks for a heads up Drone. You've given me a good place to start the hunt. Your probably right, I'll probably never exactly find where the exact worn spot is, thought if tape around all the touching points it'll hopefully iron out the problem. I'll keep you posted to how i get on.

The bike has done just over 10.000 off the top of my head, i cant recall exactly at present as I had the speedo replaced some months back due to water damage inside. Thats a result from its last visit to BMW dealership for a service, after which they got a little heavy with the jet wash. Thanks guys!

More to follow.

alleyway61

alleyway61 screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 06:27 AM
alleyway61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #5760
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
lewiss66's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: French Alpes
Oddometer: 363
I wonder if someone has dyno test his bike with the Booster plug installed?
Especially interested about the mixture figures. To know if the air/fuel ratio is good.
Thanks
__________________
http://g650forum.forumactif.org/
http://buyvintage1.files.wordpress.c...porteur_01.jpg

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014