Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #5806
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
no - the preload was fine, it's completely separate from the main damping stuff. I made it to Guadalajara by maxing out the preload and riding carefully over the topes. This shock was modified - revalved and re-sprung for the heavier load with luggage. I don't think it would be a problem with a stock Sachs shock - that shock is just under-sprung for most. My shock was great until it leaked the main damping fluid out. None of the other shocks done at Moto-Pro have failed and I think it was just a small mistake on reassembly. The Sachs shock can be pretty decent with some changes.
cdavisrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #5807
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,382
! Viva la Mexico !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
... If you cant fix it locally (doubtful but never underestimate the resourcefulness of the Mexican people)...
cdavisrosco you are livin' the dream baby!

You did the right thing and just let a suspension expert have a look - I guess he figured out a way to get the spring off! I know you are not in the boonies exactly but still the Mexican people have a way of just digging in and solving problems, and they are so into off road stuff, especially in the Baja! I've never adventured through Mexico like you are doing but I got a taste this in Ensenada with a KTM 530 race team prerunning the 2010 Baja 500 on my XR400 - the locals could get any generic part you needed (ok well XCountry's don't race it ) and get you going again.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP and keep us posted with cool pics and our XCountry's are going to live vicariously through yours!

BAJA Sidebar: ..............
I know you are not going thru the Baja and are headed straight South, but speaking of Mexico....... The Baja 1000 is in 2 weeks on 11/18-19 and right now the course pre-running is open. Anybody can just show up on a dirt bike (or whatever) and make a vacation out of following the course route - it's Mexico and not a closed course! All of us offroad guys dream of riding the Baja and some have done it, I have not, except for prerunning the Baja 500 course and staying in Ensenada every night for 10 days. But if anybody is down there, send us some info!

Now they have the 1000 so every 5 years it runs to the tip, the other 4 years it is a big loop from Ensenda thru San Felipe sorta. Here is the official SCORE 2011 Baja 1000 website, look on the right side and you can see course maps, GPS files, even view the map in Google Earth. Also interesting is the Checkpoint and VCP Diagrams (Visual CheckPoint), as it shows aerial photos of VCP's so you can see what the terrain looks like.

I mention all of this because SCORE seems to take the race site down soon after each race so right now is anyone's window of opportunity to see all this information. It's interesting, especially if you are planning a trip down there, even later.

In case the site is gone, I here is a copy of the 2011 Baja 1000 Course Map. The big top loop is basically the standard Baja 500 loop, then they add on the southern loops around San Felipe.

Yep you read it right on the map - the Baja 1000 is actually 692 miles! (the Baja 500 was like 442 or so)... Mexican math?

Now back to your normal XCountry topics... forgive me I can't help myself.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #5808
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
shock fixed and better than ever - back in business! So lucky that advrider led me to this shop - these guys are a full-on professional suspension shop with race-tech and ohlins stuff everywhere and all the specialized tools. If anyone needs anything bike related anywhere remotely close to Guadalajara, go straight to Moto Chavane.
Attached Images

cdavisrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #5809
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,245
Gas cap update -

I'm working on this.

I don't think the touratech would be much of an improvement.

Looks like my seepage is through the internal cam lock mechanism of the stock cap. The touratech has a similar internal mecanism. We need a plain ole twist lock cap. I am checking on it from Vortex.

Looks like we have a 6-bolt mounting plate on the tank with holes on a 55 mm circle.

Will update.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #5810
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Gas cap update -

I'm working on this.

I don't think the touratech would be much of an improvement.

Looks like my seepage is through the internal cam lock mechanism of the stock cap. The touratech has a similar internal mecanism. We need a plain ole twist lock cap. I am checking on it from Vortex.

Looks like we have a 6-bolt mounting plate on the tank with holes on a 55 mm circle.

Will update.
Thanks for pursuing this! My XTank is en route -- do you think every XTank'er will face this seepage problem? What about devolving the OEM part back into a simple sealed twist-off?
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #5811
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

I should know more in a day or two. I used an aux tank for about a year before I developed the seep. If any part of the aux tank is higher than the stock tank, it will fill the stock tank above the stock cap level and eventually push gas out the gas cap.

Plumbing into the stock tank vent is not without other issues. You have to be sure your aux tank is well vented or the flow will stop. You also have to make sure that the stock tank cap is well seated and does not have a vacuum leak. That can also cause an interruption.

Sometimes the tip-over mechanism in the stock tank venting cap can cause problems. I disassembled mine and removed the functioning parts to the tip-over mechanism. It is of no use anyway.

I will report back tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #5812
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 461
lighting ?

It has been asked many times before so apologies in advance.

I need to replace my running light bulb.

What's the brightest upgrade out there, WITH ZERO MODS. I run no plug ins at all now or in the foreseeable future. I am looking for a plug and play upgrade and obviously no little to nothing about wiring or electrical yada yada.

Rather dense in fact, when you more knowledgeable types start explaining too far in depth it gets weird.

thanks in advance.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #5813
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post

What's the brightest upgrade out there, WITH ZERO MODS. I run no plug ins at all now or in the foreseeable future. I am looking for a plug and play upgrade and obviously no little to nothing about wiring or electrical yada yada.

Rather dense in fact, when you more knowledgeable types start explaining too far in depth it gets weird.

thanks in advance.
I went with an H-4 HID conversion. Not hard to do but its not really a casual plug n play thing either. Many ways to wire it.

I stuck the thin ballast under the airbox outer cover. Ran a switched hot wire to the bulb and used the high beam wire to trigger the bulb shuttle.

Several issues with using HID, though. Search the posts. If the bulb strikes or ignites during the initial bike computer diagnostic run, it will wipe out the computer data (time, trip meter etc) and throw a fault code. There are ways to circumvent this problem but you dont want me to try to explain. Its in past posts.

You may be better trying an Ultra Silverstar H-4 halogen or hanging on some aux lamps, leds etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #5814
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmead1 View Post

thanks in advance.
I'd check in the Bike Specific Thread Index:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=839
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #5815
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 461
thanks guys.

i figured out i was running lights out when a car pulled in front of me. scared the shit outta the guy. he pulled up to me at the stop light and apologized, i then apologized while having the shit scared outta me. just finished 32 mile commute in 75 mph traffic/rush hour. it is fairly dark at this time now
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #5816
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,133
If you really don't want to make any mods, just want to plug in a brighter bulb, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Our headlight is remarkably dim. It has to do with the shape and size of the reflector. A brighter bulb really won't do much to give you more light. And if you buy a bulb that's too powerful, you risk damage to the bike from the excess heat it'll put out.

If I were you, and really did not want to learn what's needed to add aux lighting, I'd try to make some friends at my local BMW dealership, maybe somebody who rides a heavily-farkled GS, and offer to pay them to install some lights for you. If you lived around here, I'd do it for free. Just for the fun of it and for the chance to pay it forward to a fellow rider.

On the other hand, if all you want is more conspicuity, not more light, I still recommend the Luminics bulb that I've been using.
4XKPN - sold
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #5817
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Gas cap update -

Still working it. I have the engineers at Vortex reviewing their drawings to see if anything they make will match up.

Stay tuned.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #5818
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Gas cap update -

Well darnit ! I struck out with Vortex. Their engineers say they produce nothing small enough to bolt to the BMW pattern.

When all else fails, contact The Scheff.

I have emailed Stephan Scheff in Germany with the details. Im hoping we can get him to machine-off some simple aluminum caps that will cam-lock direct to the stock BMW receiver on the tank.

Such a task is easily within the capabilities of Stephan if we can get him to do it.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #5819
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Already heard back from Stephan. He will look at it tomorrow.

My thinking is that Stephan can make a one-piece, cam-lock cap to fit on the existing stock receiver on the tank. May just need a rubber gasket under it.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #5820
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
I picked up Studad's bike...

Wife is complaining that the clutch is on the heavy side. It sure is. Anyone know of any adjustable levers that cab be put in place that would give her a bit more leverage?

We lowered the bike. Dropped it about inch and a half or so up front, and all the way down in the back. She can tippy toe it, but I would like her to be able to flat foot it. What else can I do? Send the shock to get it adjusted for her height weight? The rear still feels higher than the front which makes you slant a bit on the seat. Uncomfortable.

In terms of handlebars, they are kind of awkward, for both, her and me. Is there anything that can bring those bars a bit closer, and down maybe?