Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #5821
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Wunderlich sells adjustable clutch and brake levers in black. Here's the clutch lever -

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/8160581.html

Also, a good cable lube might help a bit (or a new cable if it's really bad). I use this stuff and it works well for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Dri-Slide...0968399&sr=8-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I picked up Studad's bike...

Wife is complaining that the clutch is on the heavy side. It sure is. Anyone know of any adjustable levers that cab be put in place that would give her a bit more leverage?

We lowered the bike. Dropped it about inch and a half or so up front, and all the way down in the back. She can tippy toe it, but I would like her to be able to flat foot it. What else can I do? Send the shock to get it adjusted for her height weight? The rear still feels higher than the front which makes you slant a bit on the seat. Uncomfortable.

In terms of handlebars, they are kind of awkward, for both, her and me. Is there anything that can bring those bars a bit closer, and down maybe?
cdavisrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #5822
kr1
SAR-EMT-40

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavisrosco View Post
so far so good in Guadalajara - one little bushing / seal was installed upside-down and that's why the rear shock failed - so it looks like we'll be back on the road tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the help on this board!
cdavisrosco. Did you take the shock apart or did it fall apart after the failure?

KR
kr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #5823
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1 View Post
cdavisrosco. Did you take the shock apart or did it fall apart after the failure?

KR
The suspension shop disassembled the shock in Guadalajara. They have a tool to compress the spring and the shock had already been modified in the USA to be serviceable and machined to accept common KYB seals that are found on hondas and yamahas down here.

It failed by leaking out all the fluid and gas.

It was fixed in two days by a great suspension shop in Guadalajara, Moto Chavane - highly recommended for any moto issues anyone has while in Mexico.

Unfortunately... The repaired shock only lasted two or three days and is leaking again. Also, the yellow bump-stop self destructed (similar to snooker's, if I remember correctly) - probably from damage incurred when I was riding it to Guad and bottoming out constantly before the repair.

So... The leak is slower this time and it's been fine to ride for a few days, but a new HyperPro 461 with remote reservoir is being built for my and the luggage's weight and sent DHL to Cuernavaca, Mexico - where i will head to pick it up and make the swap next week. HyperPro was really helpful in building the shock in a few days and DHL only takes around 3 days to Mexico, I am told.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #5824
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
Where can I get a 1 1/2"- 2" shorter rear shock?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #5825
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
What year is the bike, 07 or 09? If you have an 07 get an 09 shock.

In your previouse post you said you "dropped it all the way in the back". Did you adjust the height adjustor at the bottom of the shock or did you just turn the preload all the way down? If you didn't use the height adjustor that should gain you about an inch or more.

If you have an 09, and the height adjustor is in the fully lowered position, send the shock to John at Moto Pro Suspension and he can put a lowering spacer in it.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #5826
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Yeah - it looks like you already have the 2009 with the 2009 seat. Besides what muddyrabbit said about the adjuster on the bottom, you're already on the low end of Xco height spectrum. (see snooker's page for all the details on Xco rear shocks:)

http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry...hock/index.htm

I'm sure John at moto pro could do something, might cost 400-600 bucks if he has to open up the shock and re-spring it though. He's a good guy to work with.

You could also get HyperPro to build you a shorter shock to your specs - the emulsion one might not be too expensive. A good pair of boots for your wife might help also? Did you take all the preload out of the shock (knob to full 'soft')?

My wife rides a 2008 XT250 with several modifications. Seat height was the #1 consideration in choosing that bike.

edit: This thread has the usual solutions - spacers and adjusting the shock's height as low as it will go -
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422630
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #5827
kirbybikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
My wife rides a lowered '09 XCountry. Approx. 2 inches lower front and rear with a custom Wilbers shock and lighter spring from http://www.beemershop.com/ also shorter springs in the front. Yes this is the total opposite of most riders on this thread or even website but we were looking for a low, light weight bike for her and this set up is perfect for her (5'3")and the riding she does. I have posted more info on this mod previously in this thread or PM me for more info and pics.

Kirk
kirbybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #5828
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Gas cap update-

Stephan apparently is too busy with other things right now to spend much time on the gas cap project. He did message me about it and he was trying to think of a way to do it quickly but there are some problems with it and he says he is very busy right now.

I may have another source to make something here stateside.

I am just testing the waters as to how many people would be interested in a billet type cap that would fit the stock tank flange and be totally leak proof. I would guess such a piece would be under $100.

Anyone else interested?
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #5829
purdsam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
[QUOTE=leafman60;17319611

Anyone else interested?[/QUOTE]

I would buy one
purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #5830
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Gas cap update-
:
Anyone else interested?
Yes, count me among the xtank'ers who prefer their fuel not spill out through the original locking cap...
Bonus for not having to swap out the fitting/mount. Thanks for pursuing this!
If it also works on the pie-holes of my loud arguing offspring -- sign me up for two more!
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #5831
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
I've looked at this also. I doubt we will find a direct replacement, but if we are willing to replace the flange that bolts to the tank and the cap screws into it is an easy fix. I've ordered a couple of cap/fill neck assemblies for my tank project from Coyote Gear. They have a bunch of different cap/fill neck options that could be welded to a new flange.

http://www.coyote-gear.com/fillerscaps.html
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #5832
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
I've looked at this also. I doubt we will find a direct replacement, but if we are willing to replace the flange that bolts to the tank and the cap screws into it is an easy fix. I've ordered a couple of cap/fill neck assemblies for my tank project from Coyote Gear. They have a bunch of different cap/fill neck options that could be welded to a new flange.

http://www.coyote-gear.com/fillerscaps.html

The problem with that approach is that the bolts that attach the flange to the tank will be exposed and subject to leaks unless some sort of sealing is used on the bolts. A cap that utilizes the existing flange and has a sealing ring in the same place as the stock cap will look better and seal the flange bolts too.

It is not so difficult to do. I am working on this and hope to have some cost estimates next week.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #5833
jezuar
NO NI NA

Oddometer: 133
hello again, the new aspect of my Xcountry

jezuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #5834
jezuar
NO NI NA

Oddometer: 133
before the change

jezuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #5835
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 8,161
Why didn't you just buy an X-Challenge????