Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #46
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddyboy
Will a Moto or Challenge seat fit on a Country? I know it's kinda the opposite of what some have asked, but I'm finding my long legs are a little cramped on the xcountry...
It would be an expensive swap because you not only will need the seat but also replace all the body panels around the "faux" tank, i.e. the airbox.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #47
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
I'm a proud owner of one. Here's a beauty shot I took of her in NJ.
Attached Images

uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #48
uxc
adventure nerd

a couple more

Here's a few shots of my baby taken by some of the guys on the NYC board. Note the spill in the mud--the x-country could really use knobbies for serious off-road riding.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #49
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Nice pics, man! Keep 'em coming!!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #50
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
It appears these bikes are really small in stature when I look at the first pic posted and in previous article pics I have seen; short wheelbase and not very tall. Am I mistaken? I am comparing to an LC4 which is quite the opposite.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #51
deli-g650
bring'n the funk

Oddometer: 195
Question

i was hoping there would be more x-country's out there.

deli-g650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #52
uxc
adventure nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed
It appears these bikes are really small in stature when I look at the first pic posted and in previous article pics I have seen; short wheelbase and not very tall. Am I mistaken? I am comparing to an LC4 which is quite the opposite.
It actually is rather tall. I am 6-1 and can barely touch my heels to the ground. My girlfriend has to jump up onto the back of it.

You should stop by a dealer for a test ride. It's an awesome bike. It handles beautifully on road and off.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #53
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
BMWX-C

Thats why i was looking at them. I'm 6'2 and most bikes I've had, have about a 30'' seat heat and after 45-60 min, my legs get cramped.

I looked at and am considering the X-Country. Looks sharp and has good components. Im just curious if being 6'2/210 on a single cylinder is too small and if cruising at 70-80mph is a strain on the 650.

I'd probably do about 98% street and the occasianal trail or dirt road. Its probably gonna be this or the triumph scrambler.
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #54
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Does anyone know if the new Touratech 4.2 gallon tank for the XChallenge and it's seat will mount to this bike? Are the seat brackets and frame points the same? Is there clearance for the components below? Is the airbox the same?
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #55
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
I am 5ft 11", around 220lbs, and ride an F650GS, 2001.
It has plenty of go, so dont worry about lack of power for your weight Dave. I see a few 2 up coming thru town.
Has anyone traded an F650 for the Country?
How do they compare? The less weight appeals to me.
I like the look of the Country, and am thinking that it maybe worth a look.
Nice pics everyone.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #56
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Thanks for the info. Like I mentioned,Im between the x-country and a triumph scrambler. Even though the BMW is about 200cc smaller, it has the same HP and a little less torque but weigh about 125lbs less.

Though, I plan to use it mainly on the road, I think a twin would give a smoother ride and the added weight of the triumph would hold the road better.

Have to take a test ride once it gets warmer
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #57
Olas OP
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
Thanks for the info. Like I mentioned,Im between the x-country and a triumph scrambler. Even though the BMW is about 200cc smaller, it has the same HP and a little less torque but weigh about 125lbs less.

Though, I plan to use it mainly on the road, I think a twin would give a smoother ride and the added weight of the triumph would hold the road better.

Have to take a test ride once it gets warmer
I think you'll love the 650 once you test ride it. So much fun to be had, make sure you take it through some twisty roads.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #58
uxc
adventure nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
BMWX-C

Thats why i was looking at them. I'm 6'2 and most bikes I've had, have about a 30'' seat heat and after 45-60 min, my legs get cramped.

I looked at and am considering the X-Country. Looks sharp and has good components. Im just curious if being 6'2/210 on a single cylinder is too small and if cruising at 70-80mph is a strain on the 650.

I'd probably do about 98% street and the occasianal trail or dirt road. Its probably gonna be this or the triumph scrambler.
I'm about the same size and most of my riding is in and around NYC. I commute from Jersey City to places around the 5 boroughs.

I have taken it on a few longer trips to Boston and PA. You can keep a steady 80-90mph on the highway. It'd benefit from a wind guard, but it's rock steady and comfortable at high speeds.

In the city, it has probably saved my life a couple times now. The ABS brakes work great. It has the torque to get you out of any situation. And it is light and small like a dirt bike, so you can man-handle it around stopped traffic, up over curbs, etc.

On the trail or in the snow, it could use a more serious set of tires. I'm looking for a pair to swap out when I want to ride tougher terrain. (Anybody able to recommend a set?) But on the street, the stock ones are great.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #59
Olas OP
the darkness

I've been riding tkc80s for the last 3000 miles or so on mine and so far I'm pleased. Haven't done much offroading on them but I really like how, for a knobbie, it handles on the pavement. I'll probably buy a new rear soon, to have it ready for the spring. I did this on the stock tourances though: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269322 . Never stop. That was key .
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #60
Olas OP
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
Does anyone know if the new Touratech 4.2 gallon tank for the XChallenge and it's seat will mount to this bike? Are the seat brackets and frame points the same? Is there clearance for the components below? Is the airbox the same?
This is a good question. I'd like to know aswell. I'd also like to know if the xcountrys can fit the air shock, or ohlins shock for the xchallenge??